Name this House!

uppitycats

OK, I finally got my "new" house -- a fixer-upper, bought on eBay for a total of $8. Friends picked it up and carried it around in their car for a few weeks til they got up to my house (2 hours away).

I think it was Nutti who named it...but I lost that thread, and so here it is again. What house is this...and do any of you have the instructions for it? I am thinking about re-doing the steps, and want to see how they were installed in the first place...

and definitely have to remove and redo the fireplaces and all the brickwork up the side! It's bright cherry red...really awful color..

This definitely was a kid's house...crayon marks demonstrate that. But a lot of work was put into the building of it. It's very sturdy, great for kids play. It'll be a fun rehab, I think.

That's the one from Racine right? Yeap it's the Washington. From the ebay picture it looked like it was a lot of work needed on the house, was it as bad as it appeared in the pictures? (It could be just the fact that I don't like to refurbish houses :lol:). I am so glad you got it!! What are your plans for it?

Yes, this is the house from Racine. It's in surprisingly good condition, but definitely has been played with. It'll need lots of sanding and smoothing, and a new paint job. I'll have to see what I can do about the crayon marks on the outside. One of the floors in an upper room is done in a neat wood checkerboard fashion, and with a bit of cleaning and varnish should look really nice.

How much "damage" will I do if I tear out the staircase entirely? I'm thinking maybe a spiral staircase. And then one of those drop-down staircases into the attic space.

I haven't really spent a lot of time with her...I'm pretty sure she's a "her"...yet, other than to remove the base (which was surprisingly heavy, a piece of birch, with "$25.00" scrawled in crayon on the bottom!) so I can move her around more easily. Brimble is demanding attention, and then she'll be next.

I actually am finding that I really like re-habbing...taking an already-built structure and refurbishing it. This may be the direction I take, rather than starting from scratch...

Anyway... I'm going to be putting some wallpaper into Brimble this afternoon, I think...

"She" is looking mighty nice!!! I bet that if you place her to close to Mr Brimble he might get a bit infatuated with her and allow you to give her some attention as well as she will want to look her best when he asks her out for a date :lol:

Hugs

Now, Anna, that's an EXCELLENT idea! And maybe they can produce a couple of tiny houses.. :wave:

Spent the afternoon cutting the wallpaper for Brimble's downstairs. He picked a striped paper...pretty...but a challenge to piece together. I think I've got it right! The errors will show up when I start pasting and laying it down, I'm sure.... :lol:

I think it is Amazing how some of you have refurbished your houses. I can't wait to see what you do with this because I have always loved the design of Washington! You are doing a wonderful job so far on the Brimbles too! I can't wait to see more pictures!

she's a sweet lady house. please let her know we all admire her, OK?

here's a proposed surname, maybe it comes to mind because of the lighting in the photos and the mood?

anyhow: Wyeth

i'm looking forward to see how you and she progress together.

Now, Anna, that's an EXCELLENT idea! And maybe they can produce a couple of tiny houses.. :wave:

Spent the afternoon cutting the wallpaper for Brimble's downstairs. He picked a striped paper...pretty...but a challenge to piece together. I think I've got it right! The errors will show up when I start pasting and laying it down, I'm sure.... :ohyeah:

LOL; perhaps some baby houses in cupboards or 144th scale ones??? :p

Hope you and that striped paper got along nicley and that Brimble is appreciating you taking the time away form the "newcomer" LOL

Hugs and looking forward to the pics (hint, hint :p )

That is The Washington.!

I bough that kit about 2 years ago at a church yard sale...... I talked them down on the price because it was taped up and she would not let me untape it to see the pieces.! The instructions were taped to the outside of thebox. I think I paid Like $2-3 for the kit.... Anyway, When I got it home I was so excited... I cut open that tape and just about cried... It was only the sheets...with ALL the main pieces GONE.! I was so upset that a church lady would do that to me.. Well, I traced each and every sheet onto some 1/4" wood my BIL had given me.. and I built the Washington.! Using those empty sheets. I am still working on it but it is coming along.. I will have tog e some pictures posted.!

Hugs

Kellee

the fact that I don't like to refurbish houses
That Storybook Cottage fiasco taught me I don't, either!
only the sheets...with ALL the main pieces GONE.! I was so upset that a church lady would do that to me
...and the moral of that story is NEVER buy anything taped up that the seller won't let you check out first!

• 1 month later...