The Alexandria

doogster

Well the Alexandria arrived a couple of days ago, just had a chance to pop open the box and take a quick look at the kit. It sure looks complete, I don't think it's ever been out of the box. There are a few broken pieces, but I'm betting that's just the nature of the kit, how flakey MDF is and the fact that there are a lot of long thin pieces, and that the kit in box weighs over 70 pounds. I'm hoping all the bits are there so I can just glue 'em back together, if I have to fabricate some bits I don't think it would be a big deal anyway. I'll have to spend some more time going over the kit in detail in the next few days. (I did a quick second check, and there's only 1 bit I didn't find yet, But I'm betting it's in the box somewhere, otherwise will be easy to repair the bits).

From the instructions the dura-lock construction looks very interesting, they claim the shell can be built in under an hour, we'll see. The windows need fancying up, since they're so plain, I think the trick of using picture frame molding cut to length will work a treat here.

Overall I'm happy with the kit as received. Looking forward to getting into it.

I can't wait to see this one.. Do you have a picture of what the kit looks like??

This is the best pic off the web I could find:

http://www.dollproperties.com/alexandria_dollhouse.htm

Unfortunately UPS put dirty great stickers all over the cover of the box obscuring much of the photography.

Congrats on the Alexandria!

Thank You.

I like working on Duracraft houses but they are sooo heavy. My MHM weighs about 75lbs. Dh has to help me carry her when I was moving her.

Marg's Bellingham is a pig to move, the Alexandria in closed box was a blast, especially when I slammed my thumb between it and the door frame. When it's put together it'll be a 2-person job to move it no doubt.

I have this house and have practiced putting it together twice. It "slides" together easily. Maybe one or two pieces are cumbersome. I really love it and can't wait to start it. I can't remember how they say to construct it, glue, nails etc?? But once you get the hang of it I can see a dry fit in 30 minutes. Would nails split the mdf??????? I think I will make my tower open. Maybe use piano hinges unless someone has a better idea. Good luck with it.

I have this house and have practiced putting it together twice. It "slides" together easily. Maybe one or two pieces are cumbersome. I really love it and can't wait to start it. I can't remember how they say to construct it, glue, nails etc?? But once you get the hang of it I can see a dry fit in 30 minutes. Would nails split the mdf??????? I think I will make my tower open. Maybe use piano hinges unless someone has a better idea. Good luck with it.

Great to hear, It is a cool house, I wouldn't be surprised if nails split the MDF, where mine broke it looks like flaky cardboard. I'm guessing Dura-Craft didn't use particularly good quality MDF, the Bellingham is similar, some of the window openings are smooth, some have that ratty flaky cardboard appearance and it does come apart very easily. I think good ole yellow glue will be more than sufficient. I think for the opening tower I'd go with a couple of good quality smaller hinges, I don't think you'd need a hinge the full length, I'd predrill holes and use small screws.

I really preferred the all-wood Dura-Craft kits!

I'm thinking if this was wood there would be no damage whatsoever. As it is 7 pieces are broken, all the bits are there for 6 of them, and they go together well. I have to get some clamps. One little extension is missing for the 7th part, must have escaped at some point. Will be easy to fabricate. One piece is going to be a bugger to fix, it's in 3 pieces, all angles. What were the people at Dura-Craft thinking? Great honking pieces of MDF joined by a little 1/2" piece. Samwiched between 2 huge, heavy chunks of MDF, all in a box that weighs about 90 pounds. I wonder if anyone has ever received an unbroken kit.

I meant they should have packaged them seperately, maybe that would help. The box could of been mishandeled.
That's what makes it so bad that the company is gone, that's the sort of thing they were good about replacing free (at least with the all-wood kits)

oops. I know they are out of business, I meant they should have packaged them seperately, maybe that would help. The box could of been mishandeled. just my opinion.

The box looks fine, but if it was dropped at some point the shear weight of the kit would likely lead to the inevitable breaking of some parts. Thankfully they go back together well. It look like it'll build up to be a great house.

It's a real beauty, Andrew. 90 lbs?? Wow, you must have some pretty buff UPS guys making deliveries to your place!! :yes:

-Susanne

I don't know about buff, I hauled the bugger in the house on me own, The UPS guy backed the truck up the garage door and left the kit on the driveway. B)

I aint winnin no body buildin contests any time soon I can tellya.

We got another Alexandria!

I kept looking at the one on ebay for the past day or so. I wanted it, but then i don't need it...so back and forth...finally purchased it about an hour or so ago!

So...one of these days!....i'll add it to the stash. :):doh:

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

I'm returning to working on the Alexandria later this week. It was on hiatus after an appendectomy and a loss of interest in minis this last spring. Then a friend gave me a Artply Alison kit she lost interest in and it got me reinspired. That wiill be "done" probably Tuesday and the Alexandria has been wimpering for attention for a few weeks now so . . . It's 99% together and one room is partially wallpapered. I was working on painting the windows two toned when the appendicitis hit. I'll try to get pix up somewhere soon.