The Alexandria

doogster

Lita, it looks beautiful so far! The "stones" remind me of a house I've seen on our travels (of course CRS Syndrome has set in & I can't recall where, now). I have a Newburg in its box that reaches out to tug at me clothes when I pass by, but is otherwise wonderfully patient.

The Alexandria is a monster but the shell does go together FAST, just as the instructiions claim. On this house it is the trim that is a killer. I always nailed and glued this house though I think other than the copulas rooms it would stay together pretty well without nails. The trim is thick enough to use an air nailer and since I found the trim had a tendency to slip down a tiny bit on the mdf before it dried, after the first house, I nailed as I went. Not one piece split or cracked either.

I had an extra house kit in case I needed parts for the ones I was building to sell. Not a big fan of mdf but I do love the style of this house and that the mdf porch trim (attached to the shell) is so easy to dremel and reshape. The large rooms do not have any interior supports pieces so wallpaper or paint look realistic. The house is hard to electrify and I ended up doing most of under the floors or ceiling paper.

I used most of the parts on the other houses or projects that came since, but I still have a whole shell. I am getting tired of moving it around though. Last time I was alone and had to do it 1/2 at a time. I finally left it in two bundles. I was going to sell it but so far no offers. So, (someday) will cut it in half and make two large closed houses out of it. A 1940's east coast duplex out of the left side and a smaller Queen Anne out of the right side. Even cut in half it will good access and nice large rooms.

• 4 months later...

post-48-1199044537_thumb.jpg[attach

ment=16194:SidingFi...ng112907.jpg]I've made some progress on the Alexandria. Seems to go so slow tho! Part of the damper is those dang windows but what do I do? I decided to put more windows in! The third floor rooms seem so dark so I asked my sil if a couple more windows would be ok and she agreed. So I added one in each peak the same as the one that was already in that little area at the top of the tower area. Plus I "squared off" that doorway that has jsut the dorner slanted. That other one - well, that's a dilly. should ahve made a door into that area from the room adjacent and closed that weird doorway off.

Not sure if the attachment will come thru but I am done "bricking" and starting to apply the siding.

post-48-1199044722_thumb.jpg

Edited by grammapux

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I too just got the Alexandria - well my 6 year old daughter got it for her birthday. But I need HELP! I can't believe it but it's missing a HUGE piece. The piece is the AXW6 - it is an interior wall that includes all 3 floors and the roof. Its part of the main structure, in fact I couldn't even get past the first step because its missing.

So if anyone can't point me to a source for this part, that would be great. Otherwise, I guess I can open up a parts store with the rest of the pieces... :D

Thanks!

-John

• 2 months later...

Just ordered an Alexandria for my third granddaughter. I've previously built a Madison and a Bayberry cottage for the first two granddaughters.

The Madison came with pre-assembled windows and doors, as I believe the Alexandria does. The Bayberry Cottage kit on the other hand had "do-it-yourself" windows that had to be assembled from a bunch of pieces and bulk trim. To my surprise, I actually preferred the Bayberry Cottage approach -- because it was so much easier to paint the window pieces individually before assembling them.

So my question is, does anybody have any tips or techniques that make painting those pre-assembled windows easier? They'd be much appreciated!

I tried painting them and got mad at them. I sawed them apart. I cut at an angle at the top corners and then straight across the centerpost at the tops. I used the saw that came with my miter saw. It was tricky getting the centerposts to line up but they were ok. And saved me SO much frustration! I do NOT know how they expected them to be painted!

Thanks, Lita. That's a great idea. I will need to look at the windows when I get the kit, but I'm thinking for the center post problem maybe I can use a Dremel or something to drill a tiny hole down through the top of the frame and into the center post before I cut it, then on re-assembly I can just use a pin to line it back up.

Pat

• 2 weeks later...

I have the Alexandria.! Actuallly forgot all about it... until I seen this thread.! Anyway, It is in a box under our bed... My Mother got it 4 years ago from Hobby Lobby when they clearenced out all the Duracraft kits.! She got it for $17.00 and had to have 3 people help her to the car with it. When she got to my home she came in and told me to go get the darn thing out of car it was denting her seat!! LOL!!!! Needless to say it took me about 45 minutes to get it in the front door & up the stairs.!! LOL! Box has never been opened so I am prayingall of it is together.!! and I dont have any place to put it right now so it will have to wait. It is going to be a bed & Breakfast if I ever get to it.!!

Kellee