Ok everyone I need your help

Ms. Mini

Alright, well as most of you know i am planning on turning my Emerson row into a bed and breakfast. I have a picture of an actual hotel in san fran that i have been going off of. I plan to do the entire structure with side panels and around all the window trims their will be brick work... now here is my problem with the roof.

So here is what my house looks like right now... I have put up the first 2 floors, there is one more floor that needs to be put on...

EmersonRow069.jpg

As you know this kit has pitched roofs....

gallery_505_628_3782.jpg

Now ok here is my problem. the style i am looking for is more of a flat roof, i would like to replicate this house as much as possible...

gallery_505_628_6368.jpg

so that is my problem... what to do? do i just not add the 3rd floor? loss all that "room" space and just put up a tiny roof like the one in that picture above? OR do I some how build the next left but not make it a "peaked" roof and make it some what simmilar to the one i want?

I am so puzzled anyone. Any help, advice, or tips would be grealty appericiated!!!

Well, I know that there will be a slew of posts very soon from all the multi-talented and experienced people here ... while you're waiting for those posts, I'll just throw in my idea. I would consider forgoing the third floor, putting on the flat roof now, and adding a rooftop terrace and patio area for the guests. This was my first thought when I saw the pics. :)

Jenny, I would add the third floor simply because you've got a duplex thing happening and it might look a bit out of scale if you don't. For the roof, I would do something like what you want with a mansard roof. You would have two of them on each side connected by the middle piece like in your picture. Does that make sense?

I can't wait to see how this turns out!

thank you for the idea jackie i like that :)

Teresa yes thats it! THANK you , i can picutre exactly what you are talking about.. thats what i am going to do. that will work out perfectly. THen, i dont loose a whole level!! ooo i feel so much better now that i have a plan. lol

I'm glad you're going for the third floor. The inspiration house has a third floor. The roof line shown is really more like a porch roof, so all you have to do is fill in the open spaces between the pointed gables on the ER.

I would just add the 3rd floor & put the flat roof on. Remember that the top floors of the old row homes were not as high as the rest of the house. If the main floors had 10-12' ceilings, the top floors sometimes only had 6-7' ceilings, because this space was for storage or the hired help! For the corbals, fancy brackets around the roof, just get a piece of full size , fancy molding & slice 1/2 to 3/4" pieces off to make the brackets. I have done this & it seems to work well. Have fun.

I finished the shell Jen. You should only have to figure out how to modify the front gables. The top of the roofline is flat and the sides can be interpreted as Mansardy.

But I am in no way a basher like that. :) If I tried what you are thinking I would also bash myself..into the wrecked shell of my E. Row.

I hope you figure out how to do it cause I think it would be majorly cool. You have to have the third floor though. It wouldnt look right without it.

I'm glad you're going for the third floor. The inspiration house has a third floor. The roof line shown is really more like a porch roof, so all you have to do is fill in the open spaces between the pointed gables on the ER.
yep, thats exactly what i am going to do. I think its gonna turn out great!!! im super excited about this!!!

I finished the shell Jen. You should only have to figure out how to modify the front gables. The top of the roofline is flat and the sides can be interpreted as Mansardy.

But I am in no way a basher like that. If I tried what you are thinking I would also bash myself..into the wrecked shell of my E. Row.

I hope you figure out how to do it cause I think it would be majorly cool. You have to have the third floor though. It wouldnt look right without it.

wow you finished the shell already? lol im getting behind now! i guess its cause i stoped the building process to do some side paneling :)

yep Caleb has the tools to do this so im going to go get some thin plywood this week to construct my mansard roof!! I think its going to add just the look i am going for :o

Hey, Pam, that is way cool! That is exactly how I pictured it and tried to explain it . . . a picture is worth a thousand words! :blink:

Jenny, I can't wait to see this one built!!

omg!! thank you so much for doing that to that pic!!!!!!!! you are geneous!!!!!!!!!! you have no idea how much you just helped me! i just saved that on my computer. you are the best!!!!

well I did some work on it tonight.. havent started the roof bashing yet, i need to finish gluing the actual roof together first... here is where i am at so far!

EmersonRow092.jpg

EmersonRow095.jpg