The Adams

KathieB

Now that I know which house this is, I'll post updates on progress in the Greenleaf section of the forum.

I kept eyeing it today as I worked on the shelves that will go into it and am convinced that the front porch railings have to go. And the whole house needs to be raised an inch or so to accomodate a couple of steps up to the porch. Norma Jeane is coming over tomorrow so we can put our heads together and plan how we'll finish up this little gem.

I see a lot of old-time grocery printies in our future!

Pics of shelving added to Gallery today.

am convinced that the front porch railings have to go.

Perhaps to be replaced with hitching posts????

I'm all excited for you that it included the furnishings, especially a post office cage. How cool is that! It's a fascinating kit Kathie and I'm eager to see your interpretation of it. With your talent and eye for detail, we'll be able to hear echos of footsteps on the wooden floor.

Deb

Well, Norma Jeane and I (aka the #1 Ladies Contruction and Interior Design Co.) put our heads together over the general store today and decided that

1. the store is located in NW Texas about 1900
  2. It was built earlier than that
  3. It may or may not have electricity
  4. the porch railing has to go
  5. a hitching post will be added
  6. the porch roof may become corrugated tin
  7. the outer walls will probably be board and batten
  8. the building roof may be square-cut shake shingles
  9. a little pot-belly stove (Chrysnbom kit) will be in the center of the store
I've been searching out photos of that period. We may have to add a rectangular facade to the front. This is going to be fun!

Kathie, I just love your ideas and I can't wait to see how the project turns out. Are you gonna get some horsies for the hitching post?

Already have some Breyer horses. :yes:

Went out to lunch to day at a little diner here in Marshall. In the case at the checkout they have a wooden stage coach, just about the right scale. I told 'em if it ever comes up missing, I probably won't know anything about it. :flowers:

• 2 weeks later...

Norma Jeane slogged through the ice and snow to get here for a mini session this afternoon. The building is aging and getting its board and batten siding. Well, battens, anyway. The kit wall is serving as the boards.

Additional photos in my Gallery.

You & Norma Jean do great work, gal! All you need is a couple of old ladies in poke bonnets gossiping on the store stoop.

LOL!! We ARE the old ladies. We don't wear our poke bonnets to work. BTW, we have an imaginery company: The No. 1 Ladies Construction and Interior Design Company, formed when we worked together on the charity dollhouse. (We even put a company sign in its front yard.) :flowers:

The No. 1 Ladies hit another quilt shop today where I found some neat rabbit habitat material for the tablecloth ... it has little carrots all over it! ... and also some fabric to cover the toiletpaper roll chair for Ms. Rabbit.

Worked on the kit furniture for the inside of the general store when I got home. Putting together the little post office cage was a real bear, but it's so darn cute! Should have photos soon ... want to get all of the pieces built, stained, and polyurethaned first.

My goodness!! That is turning out so perfect!! Reminds me a bit of the store at Boot Hill in Dodge City, Kansas! You are doing a wonderful job!

You are so talented!!

I loveeeeeeeeeeeee that kit, what kit is it??? I might have to be on the hunt for that one...

(Like I need another project hehehe)

Thanks! :ohyeah:

It's the Realife General Store kit. They also have a kit for the accessories. Both are discontinued. We're still searching for the accessory kit.

Update ... no more pictures.

Norma Jeane and I spent three hours today arranging and rearranging the furniture in the store, pouring through the new (arrived today) HBS catalog, and making lists: Things to Order, Things to Make or Do, and a Wish List.

We've got a pretty good handle on what we're doing now. :)

this project is so evocative of quiet places. very, very nice.

kathie, you and NJ are Da Bomb!

i'm loving the look of the place, happily awaiting more pix.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to a timely alert from Carrie, I just won the ReaLife Dollhouse Miniatures Country Store Accessories kit on eBay! Those items, plus what we have already is going to make for one beautifully stocked little store.

Thanks, Carrie! :)