Mity-Mite 4" table saw?

uppitycats

OK...I'm not going to be doing MAJOR construction here...just new walls, framing, etc., for my rehabbing efforts on my Brimble and cottage...

Harbor Freight has these for $50. Other "hobby table saws" run well over $100.

Has anyone used this saw? Will it "do" for my small efforts?

The mini table saw I have is a minicraft saw and it works real well. I was surprised at how powerful it was. I got mine from minicrafttools.com. Its a little more expensive plus you have to have the transformer. Does the one you're looking at have the transformer with it?

I think we have one of those, from Harbor Freight...Andrew is in charge of the tools and he is asleep so i can't ask him at the moment...we haven't set up our workshop in the basement yet, still need to unpack from our move 2 years ago...

We plan on getting the basement inorder this spring and set up our little workshop.

I say go for it!

The mini table saw I have is a minicraft saw and it works real well. I was surprised at how powerful it was. I got mine from minicrafttools.com. Its a little more expensive plus you have to have the transformer. Does the one you're looking at have the transformer with it?

No, this doesn't need a transformer. It supposedly plugs into a regular outlet. I spent some time at the minicraft site you mentioned..and a couple of others..looking at these sorts of saws, and saw how expensive they were..then ran into this one at Harbor Freight, so was wondering. Thanks!

I have a "dumb" question

what do you use a table saw for?

I hear my DH talk about these things...I smile and nod

but I really have no clue...I do know that when I ask his help he takes my parts and takes them out to his shop and brings them back in fitting perfectly.

I know we have a circular saw and a band saw,jig saw,saws all,scroll saw.

but I do not know what they do or nuttin....

ok yall can LOL now.

but I was brought up girly girly...although I dont know why as my mum knows how to use all these things.

nutti :):D

Me Me I have one of those, got if for my birthday :lol: Laughing because everybody thinks that's funny. Anyway I use if for cutting just about anything, especially trim like crown molding. Fabulous for doing this. Cuts are just about perfect. :thumb:

Well, I'd use a table saw to cut flat pieces of wood -- like making a wall, or panels, or house sides, or roof pieces. I suspect that's what your husband is using when he takes pieces away and comes back with them all neatly cut.

My husband has all the tools in the world to do this..but when I ask, he's either not able to do it then, or says he'll do it, and disappears, not to be seen again for several days. And I'm impatient. When I want it cut, I want it cut NOW, without an hour's worth of explanations or discussion, or waiting around. Just CUT the darned thing. So if I had my own small saw, I could just DO it.

All those different saws cut wood..in different ways. This seems just a basic saw.

I don't know about the table saw you are looking at.

I do know a table saw will cut wood straight and true, allow multi cuts to be accurate, angles are consistant, etc...tighter smoother fit. I used to have my own, now DH cuts for me since I can't go to the basement anymore. Besides he wants to think he's helping me, and I do all the building. If the saw fills your needs....Go for it!

Happy House..

Nancy

I have the table saw from MicroMark and couldn't function without it. It is more expensive than Harbor Freight but has more accessories available. They are also very helpful with problems. I have had this saw for many years and finally decided it needed a new blade but was unsure how to change it. They were very helpful.

Hmmm. I still have money from Christmas that I have no idea what to spend on. I know I don't want to buy any kits since I'm trying to force myself to complete what I have. That's an idea, especially since I'm making most of my own furniture for my dollhouse.

We were in Harbor Freight Monday & I looked long & hard at that little saw. I couldn't see anywhere to attach a fence or featherboard (if you want straight cuts?). There are some tools you really don't want "el cheapo" and saws are among them. I also saw a mini disc-sander, but I told DH I'm really roont by his disc- & belt-sander.

I made DH teach me how to cut with the bandsaw & I have books I'm using with the scrollsaw & lathe. Now I've begun to nage him to show me his tablesaw and to build me (or help me to build) a horizontal mount for one of my Dremels to make my own mini tablesaw.

Kat, where did y'all get your Jarmac from? I have also looked longingly at the one in the MicroMark catalogue, but if I have to make attachments to the table to keep from losing fiddly bits I may as well adapt one of the rotary tools for the job.

I like the way DH can cut me down larger stock into useful sizes.

I'm mixed, too. I read the online instruction booklet and it says there is a straight-edge guide, but I was having trouble imagining how it worked. I showed it to my dad and he said it's not hard to make a rip fence. I showed him that and the Minicraft table saw. The jury is still out. I'll have to do some more homework.

I have the saw from Harbor Freight & I use a piece of flat iron & 'C' clamps for a fence. I don't like the blades that came with it, so I use some of my Dremel blades. I use this saw to make tongue& grouve amd tennons. For angle cuts, I use my Dremel 580 table saw. Watch the Harbor Freight sales & you can get this saw for like $25. Harbor Freight also makes a mini cut-off saw that is great for cutting molding.

I have pics of these saws in my gallery under 'how I did it'

Thank you Steve, for what I'd use it for I think I may have to grab one when it goes on sale. I have itty saw blades that'll fit my Dremel, but no way I'll use them except in a stationary saw! Wanna keep what's left of my body parts.

Not the very small Dremel blades.....the 4" ones with the 1/2" arbor (hole in the center) These blades can get expensive, but you pay for quality. I use 20 , 40 , & 100 tooth blades. Depending on what I want to cut. I have also resharpened them using a fine file. Also always remember to use your safety equipment when using any power tools. I am still mending after my fight with a router last month!!

uppitycats,

I would need a table or blade that tilts, has a fence, blade lowers, etc. to fill my needs. That, of course, costs more. It is worth the investment if you have those needs. I wouldn't settle for less. You get what you pay for when you choose a reputable brand. I like Craftsman Benchtop tools, probably bigger than you are looking for. Your needs may change or increase, don't choose too quickly. (just had to put my 2 cents in.) Nancy