Help with Dollhouse ID and info?

Mark

post-1702-1168371974_thumb.jpgI have been unable to locate accurate informaton on an all wood dollhouse. It has been in our family for as long as I can remember (about 45 years). RGT says it isn't one of theirs. No luck checking with other companies so far. We believe it cost approximately $900 for the original materials and several hundred more to have it assembled. Anything anyone could add or suggestions for next steps I might pursue to ID and value this item would be very appreciated.

13-15 rooms, 4 floors, counting attic areas. Dimensions are approx. 53" X 48" X 27". Notice a large tower on the left and a wrap around porch on the front and side. hard wood planked floors, two types of shake shingles on roof (scalloped on gables and awnings, square on main roofline).

post-1702-1168371974_thumb.jpg

Thank you very much,

Mark

Hi Mark, it's a Dura-craft victorian mansion. They are out of business.

Gorgeous house! I have one in a box waiting to be built! I don't know the value of a built one,however I paid 200.00 for the kit on ebay about a year ago...kit's go for around 200.oo usually on ebay. I don't know how much the house went for originally, but your price sounds a bit high for this house. I don't think it's that old either...i happen to have a set of instructions here that say copyright 1980. I don't think the house is much older than that. We have a couple of people on this site who are very good with dating house kits and such, hopefully they can help you :0)

Thank you all so much for your replies. This is very encouraging. And thanks to ilovecats I have a postiive ID on it now too. I have included a few extra pics and if anyone has any suggestion for how much it is worth, please let me know...mostly for insurance purposes. Also, if we do keep this in the family, would you recommend painting it and finishing, similar to the picture ilovecats posted? I did some work restoring the bottom/base, the porch roof and many of the porch railing rails. I think with a little more work on the interior would floor it would be ready for final finishing and adding all the interior items. Other suggestions?

post-1702-1168379624_thumb.jpg

post-1702-1168379752_thumb.jpg

Thank you all again, in advance.

Mark

Hi Mark, it all depends on what you find pleasing for the look of your house. I LOVE this house done up natural as you have it, however, when i build mine, i intend to paint the exterior and decorate/wallpaper the inside....i love that look more...looks like a mini home that way! If you intend to sell it, i think people are of two minds...they want to decorate it themselves...or they want it already decorated and built. You'd probably fetch a little more $ if it's decorated....time and materials investment.

Ive seen this house in a couple of older back issues of dollhouse mags and it looks really pretty decorated and painted. Have fun with it, it's already a vintage house and would be a great heirloom if you have children.

Do you know who built it?

Peggi, in the first post it sounds like someone in the family had it built, rather than building it themselves.

If it were one of us I don't think there's any question we'd finish it off (even if left alone it could look so cool funished with plain natural-looking pocket curtains and maybe oak Mission furniture...). I can't imagine, having worked on it to repair the ravages of time, that you're not "hooked"!

Welcome to the forum, Mark.

Oh, I'm hooked. Now to convince my wife. I'm beginning another project to build our retirement home, which will be a whole-log construction structure and I would love to keep this for future grandkids. Negotiating with family now ).