Need help identifying this dollhouse.

wenlaine

This house was given to Missy by a friend today and we have no idea about it at all. It's not the usual luan wood that I'm used to, seems much thicker, maybe MDF. It's 3 stories and the staircases are really nice. It needs to be stripped down and redone. Who ever had the house, had used coffee stirrers for some of the flooring. Some shingles are broken, some are missing as well. The front porch railing has been broken and the windows need replacing too. But I was surprised to see that all the rooms had doors but the hinges seem rather large.

I brought it home.

Anybody have any ideas?

Sorry, don't know what it is...but the house has lots of potential! the price certainly was "right" :)

I agree..the hinges seem too large for proper scale. And is that some sort of carpeting on the stairway? I don't like it...but that's a personal (and small) thing. Have fun fixing it up!

(I wish someone would drop a dollhouse in my lap.... :) )

I love that house! It's modern!

I'm not convinced this started life as a kit -- the window sizes look more like what a home carpenter does. The ceiling molding and baseboard on the middle floor -- is it structural (holding the floor in place) or is it just for looks? Same question about the baseboard on the internal walls -- does it seem to hold them in place? That would help in narrowing what the house could be.

One possibility is that it was built from plans. There were lots of plans running loose, back in the day, and I know almost nothing about that. (All I know is that Dremel sold plans as a promotional device.)

Either way, I wouldn't be surprised if it was about 25 years old.

Thanks so much, Wende. I'm going to pay particular attention to all these little details when I start taking it apart. This is very interesting. The woman who gave it to my daughter this morning said that it was old, she'd had it since she was a child. She is in her 40's now, so you are probably right about the age.

I will check in the morning about the ceiling moldings and baseboards and how they've been installed.

Thanks again.

Wendy, what a great house! As others have said, it looks like a custom build. Someone put a lot of effort into it for sure. I can't wait to see what you come up with for this gem!

Its shape reminds me of apartment buildings from the 60's, which could be an interesting theme for the house, especially with the way the doors and stairs are set up. That third floor overhang is different but with posts on the corners, it could make a really cool second floor porch. You definitely have a treasure in that one Wendy, and it'll be fun to watch you bring it back to life.

Deb

Oh -- and do let us know if you get a look at what the wood is. If it's truly MDF rather than particle board (larger wood chips), that would help in putting a date to it. I suspect the house is way too old to be MDF, though.

When I saw the layout, of the rooms, I thought--this would be a gret tenement project! Check out www.tenement.org and see if you don't agree! Of course, I can't wait to see what you do with it.

It does look like scratch built, rather than from a kit. It certainly merits a rehab.

Jeri

Yeah Uppity, it is carpeting and it's awful. The whole house really needs to be gutted.

Haha. It's cool how that term is used on minis and then I hear it almost everyday on real houses. "Oh I need my whole townhouse done. It's being gutted as we speak."

Well, now I'm sure it wasn't a kit. Using a micrometer, I found that they used 3/16" plywood for the roof. They've also used 1/4" and 3/8" plywood as well for the walls and floors. I took a picture of the underneath so you could see.

Brenda, it sure needs a lot of shining. The doors inside and the window holes are a mess, some aren't even straight.

The board it's resting on is just one that I use to cover the table, it isn't part of the house.

Yup, non-straight windows tend to mean a Grandpa's Garage Special. Home designers tend to be either ultra-accurate, with features like closets and normal kitchen plans, or perpetrators of strange window proportions and non-square holes.

The window issue is partly because it's difficult to cut a perfect one by balancing a piece of wood over a power tool -- my father's early efforts no longer look quite right after almost 40 years of letting the wood age, and he was building full-size furniture and house additions only a few years later.