great site

luvmypoodle

Thanks for sharing this site. I just skimmed through it, but got an idea :) for the Westville. I thought it was going to be traditional white clapboard siding with green shutters, but now I'm thinking more earth tones, with shingled sides to make it more Stickley/Craftsman-like.

I love this process! This community is such a hotbed of inspiration! :)

now I'm thinking more earth tones, with shingled sides to make it more Stickley/Craftsman-like.

I did the Arthur with stucco'd downstairs & shingled upstairs, and I did the Haunted House with some walls sided & some shingled, and I "stoned" the downstairs & side walls of the Orchid store & shingled the gable & dormers.

My Westville's customer wanted shades of blue, wo that's what she got, with stark white forf accent.

I did the Arthur with stucco'd downstairs & shingled upstairs, and I did the Haunted House with some walls sided & some shingled, and I "stoned" the downstairs & side walls of the Orchid store & shingled the gable & dormers.

Yeppers, the more I think about it, the more I'm heading for shingled. And you know what just occurred to me? The house I was born in and lived in until I was nearly 5 years old was dark brown, shingled. I'm going to have to look through the old photos and see if I can find some pictures. As I recall the house, it was very similar in layout to the Westville and had a lovely front garden. I think the back porch steps dumped you right out on the alley, but I do remember the ice box on the back porch and the iceman with his leather shoulder pad and humongous ice tongs.

What a very cool site! I put it in my "inspirations" folder. I love the close ups they have of the painting. That's the kind of thing I really need to see (and owners of real houses don't like it when they find me in their yard peering at their windows...........it's hard to 'splain that I'm looking *at* them, not *thru* them)

On the subject, does anyone know of any sites or pictures of Second Empire victorian houses that have patterns in the shingles? It was moderately popular around 1865 thru 1880. Holly did something like that with her Orchid roof, but what I'm looking for is more along the line of metals added into the shingling to create patterns, or patterns carved into the shingles. I'm not sure I'm crazy enough to try it in mini, but I'm giving it some thought and can't find any pictures.

Deb

Deb, you're a girl after my own heart (watch out world, there's another one!).

One of the greatest benefits to me of all the travelling we do is my penchant for studying architectural features. The shingle decorations I've noted were done mostly with different colors & shapes of shingles. I alternated the fishscale cedar shingles that came with my Cambridge kit with the squared ones leftover from the San Franciscan to do the Cambridge's roof and then cycling though Burlington, VT, we noticed that effect on several old houses (and since in many other places). When I saw that diamond-pattern in Staunton, VA (on the right on our way to Natural Chimneys), I knew I had to do it in mini! :)

Deb, you're a girl after my own heart (watch out world, there's another one!).

<handing Holly a top hat and cane> Okay, from the top!

"Two of a kind for your information, we're two of a kind.

Two of a kind, it's my observation we're two of a kind.

Like peas in a pod, and birds of a feather---alone or together, you'll find

that we are two-oo-oo-oo-oo-oo- OO-oo-O-O of a kind."

<giggling> And the fact that Holly probably knows all the words to that song too just lends creedence to the theory.

The shingle decorations I've noted were done mostly with different colors & shapes of shingles. I alternated the fishscale cedar shingles that came with my Cambridge kit with the squared ones leftover from the San Franciscan to do the Cambridge's roof and then cycling though Burlington, VT, we noticed that effect on several old houses (and since in many other places). When I saw that diamond-pattern in Staunton, VA (on the right on our way to Natural Chimneys), I knew I had to do it in mini!

Yep, that's what I'm talking about! I'm searching for pics of that roofing style, but they're hard to find. I find a lot of references to the practice, but not a lot of pictures.

Deb

I bookmarked it for future ideas !

Precisely! It's a whole lot of fun to bash some of these kits into particular architectural styles, anyway, and this site gives pictures of basic styles and the color palettes to help them look that way even more!