What stain do you use for shingles?

woodinville guy

For me, it depends on the color and theme of the house I'm shingling. I normally use the same stain that I used for the interior floors and woodwork. When I did a tuscan villa, I painted the shingles terra cotta and the house I'm working on now will get a wash of watered down grey paint to match the house exterior trim, then I'll antique it with a light brush on/wipe off stain. If the stains aren't going well with the shingles on your magnolia, you might consider a wash of paint. You can also find shingle paint at most hardware stores (usually in shades of grey) or even asphalt shingles depending on the style you've used for the house.

Deb

Ah, shingles, one of my favorite parts of the house! I use Minwax stains. Usually the colors are too intense for shingles because real live shingles weather and wear. I have found if I go over the finished roof with a dilute wash of white or gray it calms the color to something more realistic. I also sometimes use things other than the wooden shingles to roof a dh.

If you just want a light stain, min wax oak is pretty, it changes the color just slightly. makes them a little warmer in color. That is what i did with my federal.

I had some left over shingles from the federal (i stained 4 bags of shingles...oops), and put them on my winston cottage. I still have shingles left over, but not enough to do a whole house :)

The other houses, with the exception of the tennyson, are just natural, luckily they had the perfect look, so i didn't have to go thru the effort of staining.

The tennyson, I used a combo of grey, burnt umber and a light tan and watered them down 50/50 ( didn't totally mix them all together. I squirted the colors in different corners of the dish, then added the water, and in the middle of the dish, that is where the mixing happened, each time i dipped into the concoction, i had a slightly different color) and brushed it on after the roof was complete (i would dip my brush in the solution, then dab it on a paper towel so it wasn't too wet, then i brushed it on the shingles). After this was mostly dry, I dry brushed a slighly thicker mixture of the colors, mostly grey randomly, especially on the edges...it looks weathered, or my interpretation of weathering...i have photos in my webshots, but have since improved some areas on the roof, with more weathering...i never took updated photos of that tho.

I found some red stain at Roberts, which is a craft store here in Utah, i may try to use that on another house. I like the look of a red roof. In fact, the colors that Hobby Lobby used on the Victoria's Farmhouse, i may just use on my VF, i love the look, and the house is a shade of yellow that i actually like! It looks great with the red stained roof.

I about to start putting the shingles on a magnolia and I was wondering what color stain people use for shingles. I have tried like 8 different minwax stains and none seem to look right.

-Dave

What color is the house and trim, Dave? Can we see a picture, please?

Pretty house, beautiful owner. :lol:

Warm oaky brown would really look nice. Why don't you take a couple of shingles with you to the paint store and get the recommendation of an expert as to which shade you'll need to get the effect you want? I know a stain will look very different when applied to various kinds of wood.

I used regular paint to make the purple roof and I did the same thing with the blue one I did. Real Good Toys has shingle dyes in a lot of colors. You can also try Basket dyes. I know of a shop that use dyes you would use for tinting baskets for the shingles. :lol:

Small Stuff had a thread once about using Kool Ade to dye shingles in colors. Dave, if you think your provincial stain looks a tad dark, stain some leftover shingles, stick them down on a piece of scrapwood and try out different washes on them. Right off the bat you might try a very dilute wash of yellow ochre or white or very pale gray, let the single coat dry overnight, Add coats if necessary until you get a color you like better.

Stain them?? You're supposed to stain them?? :) I just left mine naked.....although I might some day go back and do a gray "wash", so they look like they're aging gracefully..

My Garfield us also naked!!! :) I figure in time they will darken on their own. The shingles on my Arthur are painted a dark grey and I like they way they turned out. I quess it just depends on the whole look of the house.