Hi!

Lisa G

Hi! I'm really excited to be here. I recently got the dollhouse of my childhood dreams, the Smaller Homes and Gardens 1980s home that I waited 40 years to get lol. While shopping for items to set up my home I quickly became addicted to minis. Because the scale is 1:16 there were so many things I wanted to do but couldn't.  So I just purchased and received the Laurel. As excited as I was, I quickly became anxiety ridden when I opened the box 😳 but I have read many reviews about how easy it was to assemble and I am making this commitment as someone who has a lot of vision but very little if any skill or mechanical abilities. Any tips suggestions words of encouragement are welcome! I had purchased the siding but unsure now if I should use it. Besides looking daunting I realized the picture does not show siding so not sure which route to go with that 😕 so any tips or suggestions there would be appreciated.  I purchased a tool kit as well and some tacky glue. Anything else that might be useful? I am hoping to get started soon as I have already been acquiring furniture, accessories and even a few residents lol. Thanks.

Welcome to the little family, Lisa.  I rehabbed a Laurel that had been built with hot glue and was falling apart, so I finished taking it apart, removed the hot glue globs, windows, doors and trims, which finished destroying the windows, so I made all new windows and doors.  The original builder never made the porch, so I had to get really creative with one.  I added a closet to the bedroom, made a Murphy bed in a Michael's hutch and furnished the rest of the house with the Greenleaf furniture kits. It was lots of fun, and I donated it to Toys for Tots when I finished it.

The original version of Venus & Martin Dodge's The Doll's House Do-It-Yourself Book patterns for furniture, dolls, etc, were all  1:16 scale; newer editions' (The New Doll's House Do-It-Yourself Book) patterns are both 116 and 1:12.  Patricia King's books show how to make all sorts of wonderfully detailed dollshouse furniture from "found" items, and Sue Heaser's book Making Miniature Dolls With Polymer Clay includes patterns for making 1:12 scale little people.

My most basic tool kit includes a utility knife with retractable blades, Titebond wood glue and Elmer's white all-purpose glue, a heavy-duty stapler, a steel straight edge/ ruler with a cork back, el cheapo emery boards for sanding and lots of blue painters' tape for dry fitting.  When I built the Magnolia I used the siding strips for the upstairs floor boards and for the interior beadboard walls:

KathieB's photos:  the master bedroom

• Like 1

5 hours ago, havanaholly said:

Welcome to the little family, Lisa.  I rehabbed a Laurel that had been built with hot glue and was falling apart, so I finished taking it apart, removed the hot glue globs, windows, doors and trims, which finished destroying the windows, so I made all new windows and doors.  The original builder never made the porch, so I had to get really creative with one.  I added a closet to the bedroom, made a Murphy bed in a Michael's hutch and furnished the rest of the house with the Greenleaf furniture kits. It was lots of fun, and I donated it to Toys for Tots when I finished it.

The original version of Venus & Martin Dodge's The Doll's House Do-It-Yourself Book patterns for furniture, dolls, etc, were all  1:16 scale; newer editions' (The New Doll's House Do-It-Yourself Book) patterns are both 116 and 1:12.  Patricia King's books show how to make all sorts of wonderfully detailed dollshouse furniture from "found" items, and Sue Heaser's book Making Miniature Dolls With Polymer Clay includes patterns for making 1:12 scale little people.

My most basic tool kit includes a utility knife with retractable blades, Titebond wood glue and Elmer's white all-purpose glue, a heavy-duty stapler, a steel straight edge/ ruler with a cork back, el cheapo emery boards for sanding and lots of blue painters' tape for dry fitting.  When I built the Magnolia I used the siding strips for the upstairs floor boards and for the interior beadboard walls:

KathieB's photos:  the master bedroom

Thank you! I do like the wall and floor idea. Did you stain or paint the wall and the floor? Did you use wood glue to place them? I'm wondering since this is my first home if I should skip the siding. I've seen the smaller scale siding used and it looked nice but I already purchased the larger strips. Thank you for the suggestions for the 1:16 as well. It is really hard to find anything in that scale although a lot of the minis I purchased seem like they will work ok. I also like the idea of the blue tape and emery boards. That will be helpful as well. I got tacky glue for assembly. I'm hoping that will work. I had read posts about not using a glue gun. Still researching on whether to paint and paper and do the flooring before, during or after assembly 🤔 so if anyone has suggestions on that I will gladly listen! There is a lot of planning and I can't wait to get started. I feel like if I can get this built and it stands, anyone can lol.

I am working on my first house, the Orchid and have been doing the painting and wallpapering as I go. It seems to me it would be extremely hard to do that after it is put together. I have made a couple of little boo boos but I am looking at that as an opportunity to learn. 🙂 

Welcome Lisa,

My first house was the Laurel, and I put siding on it. I did not use the individual slats but bought something off of miniatures.com. Much easier that the individual planks!.

I am sure you will be able to assemble the house, the only hard part for me was the porch roof. Here is my Album of the build.

44 minutes ago, Kssunflower said:

I am working on my first house, the Orchid and have been doing the painting and wallpapering as I go. It seems to me it would be extremely hard to do that after it is put together. I have made a couple of little boo boos but I am looking at that as an opportunity to learn. 🙂 

Hi Sandy,

The Orchid is an adorable house. I build and decorate my house a little different each time....There are many people who paint and wallpaper as they go. There is no hard set rule, after all, it is your house. The main thing is to do a dry fit before the final glue.... Enjoy it and post some pictures when you have a chance.

Lisa, the underlined bits in my post are hyperlinks that you can click on; the first one will take you to the album I made of my Laurel rehab so you can see not only what I did with it, but how it looked when it first came into my hands.

As to the order in which I prime, paint & decorate, it depends on how the house goes together.

On 1/6/2022 at 3:54 PM, Kssunflower said:

I have not started yet 😕 I'm trying to acquire everything I think I will need and waiting for the perfect time which I'm guessing is nonexistent so I'm just going to have to dive in I think. I've seen a lot of posts about the Orchid. It looks like an amazing house as well. Good luck!

• Like 1

On 1/6/2022 at 5:31 PM, havanaholly said:

Lisa, the underlined bits in my post are hyperlinks that you can click on; the first one will take you to the album I made of my Laurel rehab so you can see not only what I did with it, but how it looked when it first came into my hands.

As to the order in which I prime, paint & decorate, it depends on how the house goes together.

Thank you so much. I was looking through the items on the link. That was very helpful. I can't imagine this beautiful home without it's porch?? I am so amazed by all of the talent and skill I have so. I really hope I have some hidden somewhere inside! I've come across some videos too that I'm going to try and watch. So eager to have it done but done right. I guess I need to start believing in myself so I will have the confidence to do this. 🙃

On 1/6/2022 at 4:38 PM, Mid-life madness said:

Welcome Lisa,

My first house was the Laurel, and I put siding on it. I did not use the individual slats but bought something off of miniatures.com. Much easier that the individual planks!.

I am sure you will be able to assemble the house, the only hard part for me was the porch roof. Here is my Album of the build.

This was your first house?? It's absolutely stunning! I love how you did the staircase! I saw you added the addition.  I am hoping to do so as well. Did you use 2 of the Primose to do a 2 story? Very clever as well. I love it! Hope mine will look as nice when I'm done with it. I do like the siding and I like the smaller siding much better. The siding I purchased looks very daunting 😳

Welcome Lisa! I have a Smaller Homes dollhouse that I got halfway through sprucing up and then set aside. The wallpaper I put up is now wrinkled because the glue I used didn't work nicely with the plastic, so I might have to start over on it someday. You can see some pics on my blog: https://www.emilymorganti.com/blog/?tag=tomy-smaller-homes-dollhouse

And this site has some links to 1:16 furniture: https://modernminihouses.blogspot.com/p/where-to-buy-modern-minis.html

The Laurel and the Orchid are both great starter houses. Personally I like to assemble and then do the paint and wallpaper, both because it feels quicker/less daunting and to avoid visible wallpaper seams where the walls meet up.

23 minutes ago, Lisa G said:

I am so amazed by all of the talent and skill I have so. I really hope I have some hidden somewhere inside!

You do! Each house is a learning experience. Don't worry about making mistakes... we all do, and they can usually be fixed or covered up. Worst case, you learn what not to do next time. 😆 (Because there *will* be a next time... dollhouses are like potato chips, you can't have just one...)

38 minutes ago, Lisa G said:

Did you use 2 of the Primose to do a 2 story?

Yes I did.

If you purchased the individual slats for the siding, they can be used for wood flooring (in case you are worried about wasting them)

Here is the siding https://www.miniatures.com/Search.aspx?k=clapboard+siding

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, fov said:

Welcome Lisa! I have a Smaller Homes dollhouse that I got halfway through sprucing up and then set aside. The wallpaper I put up is now wrinkled because the glue I used didn't work nicely with the plastic, so I might have to start over on it someday. You can see some pics on my blog: https://www.emilymorganti.com/blog/?tag=tomy-smaller-homes-dollhouse

And this site has some links to 1:16 furniture: https://modernminihouses.blogspot.com/p/where-to-buy-modern-minis.html

The Laurel and the Orchid are both great starter houses. Personally I like to assemble and then do the paint and wallpaper, both because it feels quicker/less daunting and to avoid visible wallpaper seams where the walls meet up.

You do! Each house is a learning experience. Don't worry about making mistakes... we all do, and they can usually be fixed or covered up. Worst case, you learn what not to do next time. 😆 (Because there *will* be a next time... dollhouses are like potato chips, you can't have just one...)

I'm so sorry that did not come out right. It should be seen not so. I am amazed by all of the skill and talent I have SEEN! I am not that modest lol. I'm sure I have some hidden talent somewhere but I haven't found it yet and nothing to be amazed about, at least not yet lol. I appreciate everyone sharing their homes and suggestions! I'm getting inspired 😊 can't wait to post my Laurel.

2 minutes ago, Lisa G said:

I'm so sorry that did not come out right. It should be seen not so. I am amazed by all of the skill and talent I have SEEN! I am not that modest lol. I'm sure I have some hidden talent somewhere but I haven't found it yet and nothing to be amazed about, at least not yet lol. I appreciate everyone sharing their homes and suggestions! I'm getting inspired 😊 can't wait to post my 

I'm afraid you're right lol. I'm already on #2 counting my Smaller Home. Minis are becoming addictive lol. Love your Smaller Home! Very nice! I've embraced the yellow too haha. I'm doing all original and keeping with the 80s look. I may look for a 2nd one at some point and do a remodel on it. I think I have 6 bags of siding for my Laurel because that is what it called for so I have A LOT of siding 😕 I will try a shiplap wall maybe? Possibly a floor, depending on how easy it is to work with. I bought tacky glue. Will that work for assembly, flooring,  siding, etc or should I have other types of adhesive for different areas? Does anyone suggest painting the wood surfaces first before applying floors and walls? Would that help make it more sturdy or will it be a waste of time? I'm thinking for me I might be better with doing walls first then assembly since this is my first build. Thanks

6 hours ago, havanaholly said:

Lisa, talent isn't just innate and springs unexpected out of some hidden place; it is a seed that, depending on how it's nurtured and pruned, can grow into whatever you need it to.

That is very true. I feel like I've always had a seed or at least a will and desire to do things. It's easy for me to picture what I want to do but not so much with the actual act. A lot of times things don't come out as I have pictured or planned. But I keep working at them. I am learning and will continue to research and prepare as best I can to make this happen because I have wanted it for so long. And if worse comes to worst I will have a snazzy haunted house...

I built my very first kit house with tacky glue.  I really prefer to use a good carpenter;s wood glue for wood-to-wood joins, and bare wood to bare wood works best.  One of the things I do during the dry fit is to draw along all the joins with a pencil I also lay the door and window frames onto their respective openings and trace around those) and then cut painter's tape into 1/4" wide strips and mask off the wall edges, tabs and anywhere else I will want to glue later, before priming or painting anything.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/10/2022 at 3:17 AM, Lisa G said:

I think I have 6 bags of siding for my Laurel because that is what it called for so I have A LOT of siding

You can always keep it for a future project. I have plenty of bits hanging around from previous projects where I bought something and changed my mind.... and have used bits in different houses. Sometimes it all gets used in one other house, sometimes it is just a few bits in different houses. Siding can be great for floors, walls (either horizontal or vertical!), shelves, slats on beds, fences, around bathtubs, kitchen cabinets....