Recommendations for attaching the house to a base?

Mid-life madness

My sweet Hubby made a beautiful base for my house. What are your recommendations for attaching it? The base will fit through a door, There is nothing hiding under the house like electrical, plumbing:bigwink: etc... Should it be permanently mounted? Do you glue it or screw it.....Can you give me some of your experiences and recommendations? I am also going to do some landscaping.

Thank you for any advice.

59ff48b6b1e76_Laurelbase.thumb.jpg.8254f

• Like 1

I can't quite tell...is the top part foam or plywood? 

I used to set my house on top of the platform and trace around it with a pen or pencil..then remove the house and run a line of glue (on the platform) just inside my mark. Then I realized that the house was heavy enough that I really didn't need to glue it, and several times I ended up wanting to redo the landscaping or for space reasons remove the house from the base all together so I stopped gluing them down. Either way tho. My husband makes my bases too,thats his contribution :) 

• Like 1

I don't permanently attach my houses to the bases. I set it in place to do the landscaping, which creates a natural outline so I know where to put it back if I take it off. I think it's better to have the house be removable if something gets damaged that needs fixing, or if you move or ever need to transport the house in a car.

If you're set on permanently attaching it, I think it depends on what material the house is made out of. How big/thick is it? For MDF or heavy plywood I would consider staples or nails through the bottom of the base. For thinner plywood (die cut or laser cut house), glue would probably work. In that case you could glue wood blocks to the inside of the foundation first, to provide a bigger surface to glue to the base.

• Like 1

I'm also of the don't glue brigade. The weight of the house will keep it in place, no matter what it's made of, especially with raised landscaping elements serving as stops to prevent sliding in case of an earthquake. :D 

• Like 1

Me too don't glue. I have a huge house that is glued on a base that protrudes too far out and I want to shorten it, it was made exactly according to the kit instructions . I have tried heating it etc but cannot budge the glue. My SIL is sure he can lift the whole thing and saw the surplus off but it would have been a lot easier if I hadn't glued it.

• Like 1

Tell your hubs..great job on the base! Looks great. I think I've used that same trim before, it's pretty. I use builders insulation foam as the platform because it's easier to stick flower stems, etc down into. I can just make a hole with a needle tool and not have to drill. There are supports built under the platform and the platform is glued down onto them, if that makes sense. 

• Like 1

It is so nicely made, Carrie! He's a keeper!

I have glued all of mine, but I guess it really depends on your particular situation. All my bases with the exception of the bigfoot shop are not much larger than the structure itself, and all are pretty small (no wider than 30" or deeper than 20") so they fit through my doors. I used wood glue for all, but I am no expert at this. I don't move them much, but when I do all seem solid.

Can't wait to see how you landscape!

• Like 1

it is a great base! So pretty! I'd avoid permanent adhesion and maybe do something to stick/keep it all in place so the house doesn't slide off easily for any reason (being bumped or force of nature) - like putty or even screw it on (so you can unscrew if needed).  I have seen things velcro'd onto bases and it holds crazy strong. But do whatever you like - it is a gorgeous base.

• Like 1

Thank you ALL for the great input. I don't think I will permanently attach it to the base. The pros and cons gave me plenty to think about.

@WyckedWoodthe builder's foam is such a great idea. I'll remember that next time!

@fovI think I am going use blocks to 'block" the house from sliding, but it will still lift off. Possibly gluing Velcro to the sides of the blocks like @Elsbethsuggested.

It is so nice to have people who are willing to share their experiences. Thank you!!!!!:thankyou:

• Like 3