Beacon Hill dollhouse

Sanborne

I have just started building the Beacon Hill dollhouse.  I have never built a dollhouse before.  I am doing the second sub-assembly.  I am dry fitting pieces.  I am trying to get tabs into slots- not easy  My question is, in addition to gluing tabs into slots- should I run glue along wall that meets other wall to slots? I hope that makes sense. Thank you.

Debra, one of the purposes of the dry fit is to sand or shave the tabs & slots for a more perfect fit, and you want to use a good carpenter's wood glue  like Titebond or Probond in a thin bead along the surfaces that will touch each other, not just on the tabs & slots.  Put enough of the house into dry fit to see if you have any places you won't be able to paint/ decorate once the house is glued together.  I have a heavy duty stapler and after I've glued the walls together I pop some steel staples along the edges where the walls abut, since I tend to manhandle my houses and I decorate as I go.

Edited by havanaholly

Thank you so much.  I am using Aleene's tacky glue. I hope that is ok.  Maybe I should buy one of the glues you suggested.  The stapler sounds like a good idea too.  The other problem I am worried about is trying to lift everything up to glue it. I had such a hard time interlocking the long slide in the second floor at the stair opening with the long slot in the right petition wall.  After a number of tries it finally worked.  thank you again for the reply I am new to the blog.  I was not even sure how to use it..

Welcome Debra,

Sometimes it feels more like wrestling than building...especially when you have to slide pieces. Shh, but I have been known to lop of offending tabs rather than risk splintering a piece. As long as the walls and corners are plumb and true, it can make a difficult piece easier to deal with.  You can use a builders triangle in the gluing stage to make sure. I even clamp or tape the square in place until dry.

Edited by Mid-life madness

I am working on the Beacon Hill right now. I had alot of problems understanding the instructions so I would like to give you a couple of sites to check out. The first one is JennsMinis.com...she has great pictures and instructions for pretty well everything you will be doing. I don't know where I would be if not for her. Another great one is moreminisblogspot.com. Good luck!!!

• Thanks 1

Well it's me again..the newbie builder.  I had a question regarding the foundation.  I glued the foundation back on..actually I glued it a few times - took apart the ends a few times to make sure it is glued properly, the slits at the ends were not glued down properly. - hopefully this last time will do it.  Anyway, I glued down the bottom support and was very happy because it seems nice and tight.  Now I am looking at it and not sure it is exactly straight. I have included pictures.  Does this look ok? Thanks in advance. 

At the bottom of the box where you type your reply there's a paper clip icon. Either drag your picture to that area, or click the "choose files" link to select your picture. If you're using a phone or tablet it might look a little different.

Screen Shot 2020-09-18 at 10.59.45 PM.png

Since you now have more than 5 posts, you can also start an album. Go to the Members Gallery and click Add Images. Then you can put a link to the picture in your gallery in your post here.

Hi Mary, you can purchase tiny hinges. I recommend that you make your own doors instead of the ones provided. I made six panel doors. I followed a diy video I found on YouTube. That video suggested using tape for the hinge. It would be more authentic if you used real door hinges. Sorry about the second photo. I couldn’t get it to display properly.

147A7DE5-EFA3-44B6-807E-5C09D04D2D15.jpeg

977DE191-2359-4A0F-B679-E76B12E09586.jpeg

3 hours ago, Gtcih said:

Hi Mary, you can purchase tiny hinges. I recommend that you make your own doors instead of the ones provided. I made six panel doors. I followed a diy video I found on YouTube. That video suggested using tape for the hinge. It would be more authentic if you used real door hinges. Sorry about the second photo. I couldn’t get it to display properly.

147A7DE5-EFA3-44B6-807E-5C09D04D2D15.jpeg

977DE191-2359-4A0F-B679-E76B12E09586.jpeg

Thanks! This is my first attempt at a dollhouse, I don’t have the skills or the tools to make my own doors. I will figure something out!

Hi everyone:  I am working on Beacon Hill dollhouse. My first ever dollhouse.  There is a part of instructions I do not understand.  It says: Interlock long slot in Right Wall with long slot in Second Floor until tabs on front edge of of right wall align  with notches in edge of Front Wall/Right.  I did that. However it says : GLUE just the section of this joint between First and Second floor(5). Nowhere else. I don't understand this part? Can anyone help? Thank you.

The first reason I started to dry fit all my builds was to try to understand the instructions by building the house using tape instead of glue.  Along the way I discovered other benefits, like adjusting tabs & slots to fit better and start a "what do you want?" conversation with the house as we went along.

Hi everyone:

Well for a few days I was trying to send a picture of the foundation because I wasn't sure the bottom support was exactly straight. It kept saying File was too big. So I gave up on sending the picture. I decided to take   off the bottom support  and try again. It only took a little blow drying to remove back support. It felt like it was on pretty tight but I guess it was not.  The second time I glued it on I used the Aileen's tacky glue -which I used before - but  I also used gorilla glue.  I wasn't sure about mixing two glues together but it did form a very strong bond the only problem was the front part  of the back support did not seem like it was on that strong.  So I decided to take it off again. but this time it took more elbow grease to take it off however the front end came off right away.  MY QUESTION IS.. I decided to buy the Tite Bond translucent wood glue.  the only problem is when I was reading the back for the instructions it said not recommended for structural or load-bearing applications. Can I Use This Glue for the foundation .. because it is all load-bearing. ?? Not sure what to do any suggestions?

3 minutes ago, Sanborne said:

Can I Use This Glue for the foundation .. because it is all load-bearing. ??

They're referring to load bearing joints in a real life house, not the minimal weight of a doll house. This glue should be fine.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone:. I am working on the Beacon Hill Dollhouse and I am adding the third floor.  I followed instructions beginning with right wall working my way to the left wall.  For 3 days I have been trying to get it right.  Everytime I put the tabs in slots for - bathroom ceiling - 3rd floor slots on the back  and side I have a problem.  If I put the back slots in and then line up the side slots the back comes forward and  is not flush against the wall.  I am starting to think I should cut off some of the tabs. Any suggestions?