my fist one

cheerfulkittty

Hi I am new to dollhouses, I currently have recieved a garfield for my b-day, yahoo this is a great adventure to say the leaste, I love making fairys so this is going to be used as a display too.

I have had a bad, year in feb, I had a surgery that went wrong and it effected my spinal cord, This has been a way for me to direct my frustions out and I like to use poly clay to make mine things, this is good theapy too it keeps my hands and legs from being contrated.

I learn how to walk again and I still have some issies but it is a blessing to use my legs, I have nerve damage so it is painful, i just thank god for a day and like I said, this dose help.

So if you have any advice let me know, lol

We started on the foundation, but did it wrong, lol the steps was upside down, lol

and I was looking al1 over the place for a piece of the floor when it was the 1st piece I did pick up, Yikes, who hasent done this before? hehe, this is going to be a long and great project.

I want to swap pieces when I am I get to the adding stuff part.

so any advice is great and like I said it is going to be great fun.

we are on the stairs, they are confusing, lol

Welcome to the forum!

you are in good company in building the Garfield

there are several here that are in the process so if you have any questions be sure to ask...also if you do a search for Garfields you should find your way to the gallery where you can find lots of photos to help you along your way!

do not get discoraged this house will not be built in a few days.

have fun with it!

nutti :drool::drool:

this house will not be built in a few days.

Is THAT ever true! The first kit I ever built was a larger one & took 3 1/2 years (the granddaughter came & took it home or I'd probably STILL be picking at it). I'm still doing things with all the houses I still have in the house...

HI and welcome.... I too and working on my first adventure.... I am building the Fairfield, she is a 1/2 scale Victorain... Boy do I hear ya about "Which way do these pieces go on??" I read the instructions and re read them, think to myself, I cant be this dense... :drool: I understand Microbiology and Medical Terminology but putting a little dollhouse together is way over my head sometimes :drool: But I am having a ball. I did discover on my little house that I have to be really careful about making sure the pieces I glue together are exactly straight and dont go crooked on me... my fireplace went a bit crooked, and I had to break out the palm sander and do some hefty sanding to get it to fit through the hole in the second floor, even had to do a bit of cutting with a utility knife.. luckly it wont show... gads, this is a learning expierence all the way along. now I have to think about the wiring of the house as I go along :drool: I think I should make a blooper album... ;)

Welcome again and have a wonderful day

Karen

I read the instructions and re read them, think to myself, I cant be this dense... I understand Microbiology and Medical Terminology but putting a little dollhouse together is way over my head sometimes

Hoo, boy, howdy! do I ever hear you, sister!

Welcome to the Neighborhood Dawn!! You are in for a real treat. That is a Beautiful house to build and there are several members doing just that! I am so sorry to hear about the surgery mistake and I am so happy to see you here today . Miniatures are a way that I too deal with stress or frustrations :drool:

Can't wait to see pictures of your house!

Hi, ty everyone for the answers, I do have a ? on the stairs we are trying to figure out how to put the railings and steps together, lol wow the little parts, and the closet it a little confusing too.

Have a great night, and ty for the advice.

Hi and Welcome Dawn

You are going to enjoy building this house. It took me 5 or so months to complete and I am still fussin with it. I'm not sure what your question is about the stairs and closet. I originally had a door on the closet but decided to keep the closet without a door. If you want to see pictures of the construction of my house you can go here: Garfield

Just give a shout out if you need any help along the way. I couldn't have done it without the help of the very talented people on this forum.

Welcome and Hi Dawn! :)

You will get lots of help here.

Dont worry about asking lots of questions (everyone loves questions) and dont worry about any mistakes you make..All mistakes can either be fixed or cleverly disguised.

All that we ask is that you provide us with some eye candy (lots of pictures!)

Hi there Dawn,

Welcome to the forum. I am also building a Garfield. It is a huge project but we are really enjoying it.

There are lots of pictures on here if you need some ideas,

Along with myself

SuzyQ

IAK , UPPITYCATS , Annette ,gemlady , jamiemarvin & darrellandmelissa have pictures posted in their galleries. I know there are others but my mind is at a blank at the moment. They have been extremely helpful to me.

welcome to the forums! you are really in for a treat, the garfield is a beautiful house! It to was my first house i ever built,and i swear i read those instructions so much they are starting to fade! LOL I have step by step pics of mine that I built on my webshots. That link is on my signature below this post. I cant wait to see pics of your project and if you have any questions please let me know :wub:

-Jenny

Hi, I am sorry for not posting for a week but the time is flying and I have been tire from thearpy errm yahoo next week I have 4 days to work on the doll house, But we are still rying to figure out what the directions mean as far ad building the stairs, I have the outsides but can'y figure out hoe to put the steps and banisters together, any help would be nice, lol just confused, hehe.

Dawn

I lay one stringer along the side of the gluing jig & brace the ends with magnets and glue a riser and tread to the bottom of the stringer, and aonther to the top, prop them with magnets and let them dry (I have a magnetic gluing jig, you can make one from Legos and use blocks of Legos the way I'm using magnets, it helps keep things straight & perpendicular when gluing, like STAIRS!). Then the rest of the risers & treads go on. I'm not familiar with how the stairs in your kit go, whether you have two stringers or just one, and what your instructions say about assembly.

Great Dawn, it looks like you figured your stairs out. Good work. Sorry to hear about surgery problems, hoping all will soon be fixed and you will feel much better.

• 3 weeks later...
Welcome to the forum!

you are in good company in building the Garfield

there are several here that are in the process so if you have any questions be sure to ask...also if you do a search for Garfields you should find your way to the gallery where you can find lots of photos to help you along your way!

do not get discoraged this house will not be built in a few days.

have fun with it!

nutti :(:(

I am busy wallpapering the Garfield. I am so overwhelmed with the preparations I'm beginning to question when I can put this beast togetther. Any calming suggestions?

hi, I feel your pain, just take a break and have a drink, lol My Hubby an I are sick with a cold so I have not worked on my dollhouse sine thankgiving, err I was stuck with the dry fitting and on christmas my niece and I was still dry fitting and it fell apart, so now I have to go back and figure out where the part fit, didnt number them all.

Have a Happy New Year

hello, and belated WELCOME to the forums!

this is a great gathering of helpful, warm and funny people. you're in a good place, here.

the stairs look super!! congrats!

best wishes for a healing, happy 2007 :ohyeah: