In the Zone

Deb

Sometimes it just happens.......you sit down to open up a kit and suddenly, the outside world ceases to exist. It's like falling thru the looking glass. Your entire universe consists of you, the wood and your tools. And, on those rare occasions, my muse will look over my shoulder and fall thru the looking glass with me. When that happens, she rolls up her sleeves, sits down beside me and says, "Let's do it".

Then everything starts coming together perfectly. The wood is of the best quality, bonded well and beautifully grained.........the stain takes on a life of it's own and makes the wood age and glow. Inspiration crackles in the air around me and the paints I mix are just the right tones to sing harmony with the wood. My muse starts nudging me and saying "what if.......?" and all the ideas mesh into one grand and glorious plan. Every little step......every single paint stroke.......every little addition is a rush of adrenelin.

It's The Zone. Every house is fun to build, but sometimes the stars smile on us and a special house takes us to The Zone. And like any other artist, when we're there, time and space cease to exist because there's nothing more important than the bond you suddenly have with this glorious object coming to life under your hands.

This time it's the Glencroft (my wizard's house). And it's magick........pure magick.

Deb

Can I borrow your muse sometimes? I promise to take real good care of him/her. :drool:

Seriously, can't wait to see your pics, and see the magic come alive under your hands. I know it will be special. :D

It sounds perfect - I can envision the glamour (old meaning of the word) shimmering around you and the house. The Glencroft will be a wonderful wizard's dwelling! You've whetted my appetite for pictures ... when you and your muse are ready ... your audience awaits, entranced.

It sounds perfect - I can envision the glamour (old meaning of the word) shimmering around you and the house.

<grinning> A glamour describes it very well Jackie. I just finished the stained glass windows and I'm using various sigils for the window designs in appropriate places. The aura around them is just glowing. It's very traditional.......an old style wizard. Wanna see pictures of the Wizard and his pet, Fido?

Can I borrow your muse sometimes? I promise to take real good care of him/her.

Sure! In fact, when we finish the Glencroft, I'll tell her that she deserves a vacation and I hear that Georgia is lovely this time of year.

Deb

Deb, I was beginning to worry about you because you haven't been around much . . . glad to know you were vacationing in 'The Zone'! ;)

I can't wait to see your Glencroft. By the sounds of it . . . it will be a VERY special house and have all the qualities a 'Wizard' is looking for in a new home! :thumb:

Deb, I was beginning to worry about you because you haven't been around much . . . glad to know you were vacationing in 'The Zone'! :thumb:

Vacation? It's more like a trip to outer space. :cool: <singing "Fly Me to the Moon"> I'll definitely put up pics of the house in my gallery when it's done. Right now I'm just having such a love affair with building this one that everything else is a blur.

So, who else goes into "The Zone"? I know we all get caught up in our obsession, but there are times when it goes beyond the normal obsessive qualities and we get completely absorbed in the enchantment. What I'm interested in knowing is what creates the "The Zone" for each one of us. Every person has a unique trigger for it and I thought it would be fascinating to explore that a little bit. If, and when, you go into the Zone, what is it that takes you there? Is it the specific house.......or the theme you've chosen for it? Is it just something about the time in your life when you've started it........a deep creative period......a time when everything in your world looks rosy........or maybe a time when you need more stress relief than usual? Is it a project that you've thought about for a long time and are finally seeing that dream become a reality? What do you think are the contributing factors and the triggers that take you to that deep, special place on a certain project when everything just comes together like magick?

Deb

Deb -

Sounds like you're really into your creation. Can't tell you how much I'm looking forward to seeing photos. So you've got your stage, setting, and perfect main characters are all lined up. Do you have script, scenery and props? Or are you working on this as you go along?

-Susanne

Wouldn't "Phydeaux" be a better spelling for the wizard's pet? Seriously, I would like to see how you interpret the Glencroft. I'd like to try another one some day, just to see what it would want to become.

So, who else goes into "The Zone"? I know we all get caught up in our obsession, but there are times when it goes beyond the normal obsessive qualities and we get completely absorbed in the enchantment. What I'm interested in knowing is what creates the "The Zone" for each one of us. Every person has a unique trigger for it and I thought it would be fascinating to explore that a little bit. If, and when, you go into the Zone, what is it that takes you there? Is it the specific house.......or the theme you've chosen for it? Is it just something about the time in your life when you've started it........a deep creative period......a time when everything in your world looks rosy........or maybe a time when you need more stress relief than usual? Is it a project that you've thought about for a long time and are finally seeing that dream become a reality? What do you think are the contributing factors and the triggers that take you to that deep, special place on a certain project when everything just comes together like magick?

Deb

What takes me to the "Zone" is seeing what I have invisioned come to life on what I am working on. The zone for me is not just minis. Let me see if I can explain: I literally see finished ideas in my head. Daily. Sometimes up to hundreds. I have five sketch books full of sketchs for sculptures, paintings, murals, dollhouses, quilt designs, design ideas for floors, flower arrangements, scrapbook layouts. The list goes on. I have so many that I have a hard time choosing. A few years ago, I let a few someones destroy that part of me. It was kinda like the last place you worked, Deb, but on an artistisic scale. I won't go into many details as I have been able to finally put it behind me, although I still have a hard time sharing my art with people. The day that I quit that job, I came home and tossed all of my art supplies; my muse had left me. I believe I have a new muse now, courtesy of my three year old. My works are not the same as what they were before. Anyway, when I am in the zone, it is like being on a different plane of existance. Time stands still and nothing else really matters. And it is magick. :)

What takes me to the "Zone" is seeing what I have invisioned come to life on what I am working on. The zone for me is not just minis. Let me see if I can explain: I literally see finished ideas in my head. Daily. Sometimes up to hundreds. I have five sketch books full of sketchs for sculptures, paintings, murals, dollhouses, quilt designs, design ideas for floors, flower arrangements, scrapbook layouts. The list goes on. I have so many that I have a hard time choosing. A few years ago, I let a few someones destroy that part of me. It was kinda like the last place you worked, Deb, but on an artistisic scale. I won't go into many details as I have been able to finally put it behind me, although I still have a hard time sharing my art with people. The day that I quit that job, I came home and tossed all of my art supplies; my muse had left me. I believe I have a new muse now, courtesy of my three year old. My works are not the same as what they were before. Anyway, when I am in the zone, it is like being on a different plane of existance. Time stands still and nothing else really matters. And it is magick. :)

That has got to be nice, because I have the opposite problem. It is so hard for me to invision the end product. I always (or at least 99% of the time) have to sew, knit, crochet and cross-stitch from a pattern. Whereas my SIL can combined patterns, free hand stuff and make beautiful things. I must have stepped out of line when God called for the artistic side. I admire other people things so much and I think it is because I just don't have the knack and appreciate it more because it just seems like it has to take so much talent and hard work.

And Holly, we're glad your muse is returning.

...So, who else goes into "The Zone"? I know we all get caught up in our obsession, but there are times when it goes beyond the normal obsessive qualities and we get completely absorbed in the enchantment. What I'm interested in knowing is what creates the "The Zone" for each one of us. Every person has a unique trigger for it and I thought it would be fascinating to explore that a little bit. If, and when, you go into the Zone, what is it that takes you there? ...

Deb

Most of the time my zone is a hard place to get to for a house I really need a story. Or it's just a shell.. like in the picture.. and for some reason it really bugs me to build something like it is in the picture. It's like the gal who puts things on ebay and says that each house is from her imagination and one of a kind.. ok so far I've seen 2 houses by her and they're identical - yep both bashed but in exactly the same way - one of a kind? Hardly. They're just decorated differently. One of a kind to me means there is no other house like it. It's like driving through a planned community.. the houses may all be painted and carpetted differently but they'e all the same floor plan.. they're not one of a kind. I need that individuality and once I know who lives there then I can start to feel the house. It's not so much a visual thing with me.. I can't look at it and say this is what I want it to look like.. I have to ask what do I want it to feel like. Once I have the emotion of the place then images start to emerge that evoke that emotion. It's a hard zone for me to get in but once I'm in it I'm ready to work and create a truly one of a kind house. And if I can trigger a scent memory then I know I've got the imagry right and that's when I really hit the zone in building and it just starts coming together on it's own.

My zone for dolls is a lot easier to get into, but I'm not comfortable enough with costuming to get into it durrng that part yet. My zone is in sculpting the faces. And that's a fairly easy zone to get into. It takes a hot cup of coffee or tea - and some old classic movie, a lump of clay and a knitting needle and bam I'm there. The faces become what they become. Some are happy, some are stern but I've given up arguing with them - they're who they are and usually I think they're affected some way but the emotion of the film I'm watching - I'm very driven by vocal timbre and tone since I more hear, than view the movie while I'm working so I tend to focus in on one actors voice and just let my figure turn into what ever it wants to be. Facial sculpting is my favorite creative zone to be in. Time really can slip away and the movie always end way too soon :)

-David

It's like the gal who puts things on ebay and says that each house is from her imagination and one of a kind.. ok so far I've seen 2 houses by her and they're identical - yep both bashed but in exactly the same way - one of a kind? Hardly. They're just decorated differently. One of a kind to me means there is no other house like it. It's like driving through a planned community.. the houses may all be painted and carpetted differently but they'e all the same floor plan.. they're not one of a kind.

-David

Someone on another forum asked for the definition of "One of a kind", and this is how another person answered her: If a person makes, say, ten little creatures, all by hand (a mouse with a piece of cheese was the example, I believe), then each one will be slightly different, because they were made by hand, not machine. I guess they could be different colours, or holding different foods - but they are all the same "kind" - a mouse holding food. So each one is "one" of a "kind". I think that is what the ebay house seller meant by "one of a kind". If someone claims to have made a mouse that is the "Only One of its Kind", then there would be no other like it. She/He could not make a group of ten similar mice - only the one. :)

Someone on another forum asked for the definition of "One of a kind", and this is how another person answered her: If a person makes, say, ten little creatures, all by hand (a mouse with a piece of cheese was the example, I believe), then each one will be slightly different, because they were made by hand, not machine. I guess they could be different colours, or holding different foods - but they are all the same "kind" - a mouse holding food. So each one is "one" of a "kind". I think that is what the ebay house seller meant by "one of a kind". If someone claims to have made a mouse that is the "Only One of its Kind", then there would be no other like it. She/He could not make a group of ten similar mice - only the one. :)

I see what you're saying - when I see a hand made item - hand sculpted - I understand it's hand made, no two are alike-even if it's the exact same pose no two are identical .. but when you make a plan and a pattern you use that plan over and over again in building then you can't really say it's one of a kind. Again if you go to a construction site.. each house there is basically hand built - guys come in they frame them, run electrical, dry wall, plaster etc..but they're from the same set of blue prints - they're not one of a kind homes. If I made 2 of my medieval chappels - they'd both be custom but neither one would be "one of a kind".

-David

Addendum: Maybe I should have made it clearer that for me - Being in the Zone isn't about working - it's about creating - taking one thing and making something else whether it's a kit, a block of clay, a twig - what ever. It's about getting that creativity that makes something really unique and not just a cookie cutter replica. It's about looking at something and saying "this is what I have. Now - where can I take it? What can I create with it?" It's about transending and taking something to a new place. There's an interresting excersize in creativity -you take a pencil and a sheet of paper - then you look at the pencil and you write down everything that a pencil can be used for other than writing or drawing.

Yes, and I would lean more towards the distinctions that you make - I just meant that I think she probably thought she was using the correct term. :) 'Course, I shouldn't try to be a mind-reader in the first place! :blink:

The day that I quit that job, I came home and tossed all of my art supplies; my muse had left me. I believe I have a new muse now, courtesy of my three year old. My works are not the same as what they were before. Anyway, when I am in the zone, it is like being on a different plane of existance. Time stands still and nothing else really matters. And it is magick.
I'm sorry you had to go thru that Holly. Creativity is a fragile thing and hateful people can destroy it carelessly. The only good thing that can come of something like that is when your muse returns and takes you to a new level with something else. Creativity is like the Phoenix and will emerge as a new life from the ashes----but it can never be stilled forever.

Being in the Zone isn't about working - it's about creating - taking one thing and making something else whether it's a kit, a block of clay, a twig - what ever. It's about getting that creativity that makes something really unique and not just a cookie cutter replica. It's about looking at something and saying "this is what I have. Now - where can I take it? What can I create with it?" It's about transending and taking something to a new place.

Exactly!!!!! No matter what the medium, no matter what the product is that we produce.......it's the creating process that is a vital part of our life force. It's a basic instinct to bring life into the world and when we're creating, we're in touch with that life giving force. During the process of creating, we are being created ourselves. It's how we nurture ourselves and create a positive balance with the negativity of life. Part of being in the Zone is being in complete sync with oneself by allowing the creative self to take control. It doesn't matter what we do.........whether it's building or painting or writing or sculpting or dancing.........and it doesn't even matter if we're good at it.....what matters is that we're honoring our need to create.

Deb