So, about them bedroom walls......

Soapz

Hey y'all, 

I need help because I am stumped. I've been fiddling around with that Newport house and it just won't do - that's what happens if the house is too small for big plans.

It's about them @#$@#%@#$% bedroom walls. If I leave them where they are supposed to go, I have about 8 inches in width for a bedroom - no way that a bed will fit in there without overwhelming the room.large.IMG_1145.JPG.3b06ffe21615351d097ec

I really can't move the left side interior wall without covering up the staircase hole - which I really don't want to do. 

But, if I move the right interior wall:

large.IMG_1147.JPG.3c7fe66f40a91b9525813

This would leave me with a 10 inch wide bedroom - fits a bed, but look at that dormer. Any which way I move that thing it is awkward and doesn't look right.

Suggestions? Shopping tips for a smaller size mini miniature bed? Anything?

I thought about a Murphy - I also thought about a daybed - it could be a vacation home. But somehow - if I use the correct measurement - they all look too big - like if they were out of scale. 

Is that me being weird? Or are they actually really big?

Would a brass frame bed do better? A platform bed without a headboard to reduce mass?

The width of the bed is not the problem - the 6 to 6.5 inch length is killing the room.

I've had this same problem - I solved it my satisfaction by making a smaller bed - just shrunk the dimensions a bit and made it from thin wood from a berry basket.  Once it was covered with bed coverings, it looked fine and not out of place with the regular 1:12 other furniture in the room.  Might not work for you but it is a suggestion.  Another thing I tried was to put the bed kitty-corner so it angles out into the middle of the room.

• Like 1

You could make an ensemble (box spring & mattress I think you call it in the US). It's not hard to do this from foamcore (see tutorial for a single at Kris') just make it what ever measurements suit your room I don't think 6 to 61/4 inches is unreasonable as this would suit a 6 foot person. Then just add some wood beads or tiny turnings for legs, dress it with some lovely linens & pillows and Bob's your Uncle! Without the added bulk of the headboard and footboard you would gain some valuable space. :) 

Could you leave out one of the walls and have the stairs enter into the bedroom? It's a small, one bedroom house, and it's not like anyone would be passing through that bedroom to get to another room (which drives me nuts in dollhouses).

Not sure which way the stairs end, but I've have them end towards the window. Then I'd make the right internal wall Z shaped, so the middle hallway was wider at the window and narrower at the back/open side. Then your wall isn't cutting into the dormer, but you add size to the bedroom.

That might actually work. I'll have to knock out my finals this weekend, so I'll be getting back to that wall and the house. I want to finish it by Christmas. I'm also debating Sable's idea of closing the dormer and have a blind window. 

And maybe I'm overthinking it, because this will be a donation house - so my furniture won't have to fit it anyways. I just pulled one of my beds and it was impossible in those rooms. 

Thanks y'all to help me out here. I will give this a lot more consideration (starting Monday) and let y'all know what I did with it.

So, while I haven't made any progress with the walls, I have tweaked the other Chris' tile tutorial to make bathroom tiles from paperbacked veneer. I will report how that turned out....

On 12/7/2016, 9:26:09, mesp2k said:

Chris, can you build a wall around the stairwell??

584837af2699e_capeduracraft.png.3f650e88

Yes do this!  you can make a "water closet" with a fake door, run that right wall to the front of the house, or furnish it and hinge the door.  it won't be an accessible room, but it will look amazing

• Like 2