Aster cottage

ilovecats

Sounds like you have some awesome plans!

I do love the idea of country cottage...that's what i want to acheive. Eventually. :blush: I know i'm not going to build it for some time, just had to add it to the collection.

I can't wait to see what you do with yours!

ohhhh another Aster! I love this kit, it goes together like a dream! I am using mine as a Santa's house as per husband's suggestion (as idea and who am I to say no???) Looking forward seeing yours!

Hugs

I have an Aster too . . . still in the box! :ph34r: Brian took this awesome picture of a thatched cottage on a trip to England a few years back. I'm going to model my Aster after that cottage . . . hope it turns out as well as the picture. Won't be for awhile though . . . I'm building the Willowcrest first! :)

Well a plan is always good to have LOL, but then again I am known to make my lists as well as making "to-do-orders" but then again I am also fairly prone to disregard those lists when the inspiration hits...

Looking foward seeing what you do with yours

Hugs

I built an Aster this spring and it was probably the most fun I've had legally. :ph34r: It goes together like a dream and it has *so* much character. I did mine as a faerie house and did the fake fur thatched roof. That roofline thatches like a dream.

Deb

Deb -

Would you ever consider giving a tutorial on the fur thatching technique. I remember you said it was loads of fun. Just think of all the fun we could have as a group getting our collective fingers all slick and sticky!!!

-Susanne

Deb -

Would you ever consider giving a tutorial on the fur thatching technique. I remember you said it was loads of fun. Just think of all the fun we could have as a group getting our collective fingers all slick and sticky!!!

-Susanne

Your wish is my command Susanne. <grinning> Would you believe I've already got a tutorial for it in one of the blogs? I thatched the samurai house (coventry cottage) with fake fur and it's part of the building team blog. Just scroll down toward the bottom of that page and you'll see the tutorial for fake fur thatching amid my hysterical laughing. I think one of the reasons I chose the Aster for the faerie cottage is so I could thatch that roof with fur. I'm going to thatch the roof of the Glencroft the same way. It's just one of the funnest things to do with a mini. :teehee:

Of course you realize if you end up with fake fur stuck all over your hands, it'll confuse your cats. <cackle> I don't think Napoleon has recovered from that shock.

Deb

I think the Aster just sits up and begs for a thatched roof. Did we all notice the new HBS catalog has a thatched Glencroft on the front cover?

I did! I looked through the catalog, but didn't see anything that resemebled what they used. My imagination is thinking it might be dried corn husks with a bit if yellow paint.

I used those seasonal brooms i want to do the inside as well, the space above the dormer i left for a'landigpad for my witch. (It's haloween themed. Me nephew a little while ago got mad and as he is almost two and my sister was 'watchig' him it some ended on the floor. It's still in one peice (i'm amazed) but the thatch was every where. :( oh well its not too bad just the ocasional trim, and the back. :sigh:

My cottage arrived today! I just popped it open and looked at the sheets. Looks like a nice kit! For some reason i thought this house came with furniture. Where did i get that idea?

Anyway, i love this house, it's so cozy and adorable!

My cottage arrived today! I just popped it open and looked at the sheets. Looks like a nice kit! For some reason i thought this house came with furniture. Where did i get that idea?

Anyway, i love this house, it's so cozy and adorable!

The Aster is a really cute cottage. Have you decided which kit will be your next build? I know that sometimes I sit and work on one project over a few days, and other times I do one thing one day and then something else another.

Last night I felt like sewing and made cushions for some chairs and ottomans. Today I started on my brother's Christmas present. I'm doing a diorama for him with a desk and computer. He lives in an apartment with his cat, Mickey. Mickey loves to play on the balcony with leaves. He's crazy about leaves. My brother always brings him home fresh bags of leaves that he's gathered.

I'm going to have 2/3 of scene inside my brother's apartment with a desk and computer, and then 1/3 will be the balcony with Mickey playing outside.

Today I was busy cutting and gluing mini books, and other paraphenalia for the desk.

-Susanne

I love this house. I've had the Astor in a box since April when HBS had their 50% off sale. I usually only buy houses during their sales. Someday I plan on building it and have all my ideas, like changing the staircase, but for right now it's staying in the box. No thatched roof for me though.

I swore I would never thatch another house after the last one I did. It looked wonderful after it was done. I used bristles from a wallpaper brush and the material was realistic, but I hated the application. I made the quarter-scale Sugarplum into a Tudor cottage for a friend of mine and thatched the roof. Maybe it was the small size, but it was just a pain. So my Astor will probably not be thatched. But the fur thatching looks like a great idea, and much easier. I don't know what I'm doing yet.

I always think of Sleeping Beauty's cottage when I see the Astor. I even put my DVD into the computer and got screencaps so I could see what it looked like. I may do the same with my Snow White movie. The Seven Dwarves' cottage should have some inspiration in it also.

The Aster is a really cute cottage. Have you decided which kit will be your next build? I know that sometimes I sit and work on one project over a few days, and other times I do one thing one day and then something else another.

Last night I felt like sewing and made cushions for some chairs and ottomans. Today I started on my brother's Christmas present. I'm doing a diorama for him with a desk and computer. He lives in an -Susanne

Hi Susanne! I plan on doing the Beacon Hill after i get the tennyson and the winston completed. So by the end of the month i'll start!

Do you have pic's of your diorama? I'd love to see a picture!

Okay, Deb, I was really skeptical about fake fur as a thatched roof . . . but you've made a believer out of me! :banana: I just checked out your blog and it's incredibly realistic! You did a fantastic job!! Thanks for blogging it because it's going to come in very handy when I build my 'Aster'. :yikes:

:thumb: Have had a blast today working on my Santa's cottage, ie an Aster :lol: and have just uploaded a few picutres of the progress so far, still have some painting to do on the trims around the window but the lattice work is on and the roof has got its first coat of paint.

Hugs

:thumb: Have had a blast today working on my Santa's cottage, ie an Aster :lol: and have just uploaded a few picutres of the progress so far, still have some painting to do on the trims around the window but the lattice work is on and the roof has got its first coat of paint.

Hugs

Your Santa's cottage looks incredible!!!!!!! I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!