Baby's boat update

glen

Well I'm very embarrassed to have to admit this project was started earlier than 2008. Yep, eight years ago.

I hit an impass will joining the hull together and put it in the two hard basket.

however about two weeks ago I decided to ask a friend to help join the castings because they were a mess. Before giving it to him I decided to tape the parts together so he could see my problem. While doing this is suddenly dawned on me that that was the answer. Tape it together, Glass inside.

One of those moments when the lights go on and you feel like an idiot!

So massive leaps ahead now. As you can see I've even floated it to make sure the motor isn't to heavy.

If baby runs true to form (and she's eleven now :cry: ) it'll be used once and then locked in her dollhouse for ever. no one is allowed to touch her house anymore.

Anyway, question. I need a rubber, half round, buffer approx 3mm in diameter and about 1 meter long. Any ideas where such an item could be bought??

med_gallery_265_4512_28792.jpg

med_gallery_265_4512_32734.jpg

Trust you are all well.

Cheers

Glen

PS, yes it'll probably be another eight years to finish.

• Like 3

I put some questions and comments in your album.

Congrats on getting the Aha! moment. It always feels so good when that happens.

We have another member since you posted that has some background in complicated real life installations of sound and TV's and other complex RL work in all manner of unusual ways and places. He's very quick thinking on problem solving. He's on a big job right now so hasn't been on for a week or so but you might try send him a Personal Message and pick his brain for ideas. MikeUK

Good luck with this. You don't have to stay away just because it's not done, btw. We'd love to hear from you once in a while. You say she's 11 - wow, time flies by. Minis on the Edge (Tracey) told us that her daughter just graduated high school. These once little girls are growing up fast and will be on their own in a heartbeat. Enjoy every moment while you can.

• Like 1

Hi Selkie, no the wood is all gone. Made a fibreglass mould from the wooden plug, then made a fibreglass casting from that. The mould was so small and complex that I only got one hull out of it and it was destroyed. Darn!! So this is a one-off glass hull. (exactly the same material as a real boat)

I'm going to make two interiors. One a display scale and the second a waterproof enclosure for the electronics as you pointed out.

I'm thinking I'll take the motor off the boat and replace with a mock-up if she locks it in her dollhouse 'cause it's an expensive bit of kit to have sitting doing nothing. She and mum tell me otherwise so it'll be a battle I can see. Motor, radio, batteries etc will come to over $700nz. Could put it in a boat I am allowed to play with.

Anyway we'll see. I know who usually wins these battles and it ain't me.

• Like 1

I would probably use airline tubing and split it in half. It is what they use in aquariums to supply air so it comes in different sizes. Once split I would paint the inside whatever color you wanted and go from there!

Just thinking about that rubber thingy, not sure about this as I do not know if it is waterproof or not, just thinking out loud :)

What about using puff-up paint? You know the one that you add to whatever and then heat up and it would puff up adding a three-dimensional of it?

So great seeing your project take shape and form!!!

Hugs

I like the idea of splitting small tube but when trying it getting uniformity was incredibly difficult. Think a jig will need to be made.

Thanks

I like the idea of splitting small tube but when trying it getting uniformity was incredibly difficult. Think a jig will need to be made.

Thanks

Maybe if you have something that is small enough in diameter to slide inside the tubing (dowel rod, etc.), it would hold the tubing in place and in shape so that you could slice out a section of the length.

You can make a simple jig by drilling a hole the same size as the tubing in a block of wood and use a small hammer to drive a razor blade into one end of the hole. Start the split by hand, insert the tubing in the hole past the razor and simply pull gently. It will then be a consistent size. 

Thanks.

Yes, unfortunately the perfect tube for bending around corners of that dia came from silicon covered electrical wire. So two issues arise.

1, the wire needs to be removed and 2, silicon, even in a jig, has a mind of it's own.

Will try a bit later today and let you know how it works.

Hello Glen,

you might want to look at rubber seals. While the company I deal with only has 1/4 inch there might be places that have smaller diameters. This is what I'm talking about:

http://www.grainger.com/product/TRIM-LOK-INC-Rubber-Seal-10G518?s_pp=false&picUrl=//static.grainger.com/rp/s/is/image/Grainger/10G517_AS01?$smthumb$

Hope this helps.

Thanks, I'd love to walk around a shop like that picking up bits but in NZ there's no such equivalent.

This little 12th scale is new territory to me. Very fiddly. 

Here is a boat I built 19 years ago. We've just resurrected it for a laugh a couple of weeks ago. No fiddly detail in this, scratch built in the same way just bigger. The fuel pump isn't working in this vid so it's only going slow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWOdnAGCLtw

Laying out the dollhouse boat at the moment.

I'll measure the seats this weekend, made them too small I think.

med_gallery_265_4512_30652.jpg

med_gallery_265_4512_71296.jpg

Cheers

ps the missus takes a look inside and goes "oh that's better, is the drivers seat going to swivel?"

No it wasn't! but I guess it'll have to now. sigh. I'll laugh if mini Barbie falls off in a turn.

These are my options at the moment. The black one at the bottom is the intended and obviously works or I can print off the top one which would look better than the black, would be 1/12 scale and correct type for model however non functional.

Black motor is 1/9 scale app and outrageous powerful for this model. other option would be something like the Johnson which is the right brand but wrong vintage and about 1/14 scale.

or I can remove the DC motor from the black Engine, replace with lower profile three phase motor and print a smaller cowl bringing it closer to scale also lightening it up.

It's all so confusing

med_gallery_265_4512_12087.jpg

med_gallery_265_4512_14543.jpg

med_gallery_265_4512_49325.jpg