accidental copper

dooder85

I definitely moulded it first, it's squished over a silicone frame - there actually a bio-mechanical stag in there, i'm still futzing trying to figure out how to make the raised lines more visible. i've given it a couple of good rubs and the stain seems fairly well stuck, it's not really flaking off at all, and dried remarkably quickly, I thought for sure I was in for a good three day drying period.

I definitely moulded it first, it's squished over a silicone frame - there actually a bio-mechanical stag in there, i'm still futzing trying to figure out how to make the raised lines more visible. i've given it a couple of good rubs and the stain seems fairly well stuck, it's not really flaking off at all, and dried remarkably quickly, I thought for sure I was in for a good three day drying period.

Now that you've mentioned it, I can see the stag; what a noble head. Maybe some of the raised lines would be more visible if you rub some dark paint in one direction to make a faux shadow on one side of the ridges. Rub it on, wipe it off sort of thing. Maybe verdigris for shading? Sort of like this example, but maybe not so heavy on the verdigris.

3766418503_c90bef3736.jpg

and dried remarkably quickly, I thought for sure I was in for a good three day drying period.

Good to know! I was wondering if it would dry or stay a bit tacky. This really intrigues me, especially with a new steampunk project coming up. (And yes Gail, you most certainly should get back to your steampunk house! It misses you!) I need to look for a piece of textured leather with a tall enough grain to slightly emboss the foil and then experiment with some of the Bombay Mahogany stain I love so much. Your discovery has given me a lot of things to contemplate Aaron and I can't thank you enough!

I love the copper look. I'm so glad you discovered it and posted a picture. A few years ago I was toying with a fairy tale princess room idea and tried some blue paint on a bit of foil to see how it looked. I was thinking of papering the walls with it, it was quite pretty. I wasn't able to continue with the room box at the time and forgot all about it.