Hello Everyone new old fart here

Proflooney

lil abt me i live in NW Illinois, am a retired chef and am a Jouneyman Millwright. im 52 so till trying to work when I can find it. I design and build scale models from small to full size for museums military bases, movies (just finished full scale B-24 Bomber for Angelina Jolies new movie she is directing called Unbroken. my website with pics is http://www.proflooney.net you can see some pics of stuff I have done under the photos section.

Back when I was in high school and college in 70s I was an architectural draftsman til the housing industy went under and i had to find diff work.

I have always done cad and 3D work since then and built a few houses here and there. and now im looking to do a couple really detailed projects. If I can find the floorp0lans for the Carlson Mansion I would love to first create it in 3D including all interior then attemp to do it out of wood. it is a long term project but I have plenty of time and my 2 and 4 yr old grandsons can help me with it. they like helping out in the shop even the 2 yr old is becoming a master sander for me.

• Like 1

I don't know what 3DS Max is. Is it a 3D drawing program? Could you generate it with a 3D printer? Hope you don't mind the questions. I'm curious about the new technology, if not exactly ready to learn new tricks myself. :D

I spent yesterday watching "Intolerance" (I'm a sucker for those Babylonian elephants, and Mae Marsh was cute as a bug!). You and your 3D program could have a lot of fun with some of those props in mini. If you made a model of a mansion that fountain would be right at home.

Welcome to the forum, Joe!

As far as Ron's Carson Mansion - I don't think he uses plans. I remember a post from him where he says that he finds a house he likes and just starts to build it...

I also remember searching for the Carson Mansion (I'm a foreigner....) to get more information about it and found several references that there are no plans to be found. You might try and get in touch with the Eureka Heritage Society or the Ingomar Club (I believe they own the house? if I remember correctly) and see if they have information they are willing to share.

Other than that, only the Historic American Building Survey in the Library of Congress comes to mind. They have an elevation drawing only - I'll attach it for you.

All in all, Joe - there a thousands of Victorians out there that are just as beautiful and you might be able to find floor-plans for those. And they might not have been done in scale until now.

We are glad you found your way here, and I am definitely looking forward to your projects.

post-12889-0-21388400-1409663609_thumb.j

Welcome to the forum, Joe!

As far as Ron's Carson Mansion - I don't think he uses plans. I remember a post from him where he says that he finds a house he likes and just starts to build it...

I also remember searching for the Carson Mansion (I'm a foreigner....) to get more information about it and found several references that there are no plans to be found. You might try and get in touch with the Eureka Heritage Society or the Ingomar Club (I believe they own the house? if I remember correctly) and see if they have information they are willing to share.

Other than that, only the Historic American Building Survey in the Library of Congress comes to mind. They have an elevation drawing only - I'll attach it for you.

All in all, Joe - there a thousands of Victorians out there that are just as beautiful and you might be able to find floor-plans for those. And they might not have been done in scale until now.

We are glad you found your way here, and I am definitely looking forward to your projects.

thanks chris I been searching for other homes I just trying to find the look I am looking for and the calrson mansion has it all. that said being an ex architectural draftsman I am thinking of just designing my own.

thanks Holly I found a couple layouts from game modellers tha have the floorplan of the 3 floors. they might not be accurate for the real house but I have something to go for a start and will design my own style. I am almost finished with the floorplan for the second floor and roof outlines and will just have the third floor to do and I can start framing things out and adjust as I go. the nice thing about doing it in virtual world first is it doesnt cost anything to destroy and start over.

Once I get everything laid out and all my sketches finished I will start a thread as I virtually build it then go from virtual to real world model. figure showing my process might help some people visualize things easier

thanks Stacey I have my floorplans finished now I just need to start it up. I usually use google hangout and build live with other 3D artists https://plus.google.com/events/cptqbcoc3qclpk61nnp4p8tfe5g?authkey=CLXv_MeTzNbxcg at that link there is a button called join hangout and allows you to share your screen or video chat would be cool to have a hangout for this site since its free be a nice way for ppl to chat real time once in a while