White Orchid -- Builders and Tips

Blondie

Even though I've got the half scale Tennyson bash underway, and a 1:144 scale cabin that is a birthday gift for a girlfriend in the works, the White Orchid has been quite demanding. I've been buying accessories and furniture to try to appease her but she's getting louder.

So far she has decided to be what I'm calling upscale-shabby-chic-beach. Okay, let's just say eclectic. Anyway, at this point I'm planning to leave the exterior alone so that the uniqueness of this limited run kit will be preserved. But I want to paint and wallpaper the interior.

Looking through the WOs that have been done by others not many have wallpapers. For those who attached flooring, ceiling or wallpaper, what did you use? I know E6000 will work for the structure itself and trims, but using it for wallpaper, I can see it being a real mess. What about spray adhesive? Did any of you try that? What were the results?

Debora, you may have noticed that I used wallpaper in mine:....

As usual, I used regular premixed wallpaper paste and reinforced any curling corners with Elmer's all-purpose white glue, as usual.

Thanks for the feedback Holly. I thought that I had read in the notes from some of the builders of this particular kit that white glue would not adhere. Possibly they meant only that it didn't work as to the structure itself. Is your wallpaper still secure? Have you had any separation from the wall or bubbling?

The wallpaper (scrapbook paper, actually) is still in place, but I used regular wallpaper paste with it, unless I had a corner curl up. I used E6000 to put it together. as methyl ethyl chloride just wasn't doing anything with it; and I used E6000 to stick mylar sheets to the alcove ceiling, over the bed (the Frosts may be old, but they're ageless...).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The Great Glue Experiment continues.

I did some tests last night and found that gluing wallpaper to the White Orchid with white glue "looks" like it has dried flat and adhered, but it will peel off beautifully. It doesn't make a permanent bond. I found this out accidentally because I was also doing paint tests and tried to scrape away some paint and it lifted. I realized I'd gotten the paint on a dried smear of white glue that I hadn't noticed. When I pulled on the raised bit of glue it just started to peel cleanly off, taking the wallpaper with it.

I will try spray adhesive next!

I also tried acrylic paint and colored permanent markers. The markers work, but the paint, which dries beautifully, chips off easily.

So, more tests to come :D

The spray glue was somewhat more successful, but it will peel off too. However, I only sprayed the wallpaper, and for the tightest bond, 3M recommends spraying both surfaces to be glued and waiting 30 seconds before applying, so I'll give that a try next. Regardless, I think this will work well enough because I plan to use moldings and baseboards for which I'll use E6000.

On the bright side, if I ever wanted to change out papers it wouldn't be too difficult :)

Kathie, what type of paint did you use for your red roof? I found that acrylic chipped off easily.

I used a spray paint made for plastic. I think the brand was Krylon, but any brand that advertises that it works on plastic lawn furniture, etc., will probably do the trick.

• Like 1

I still have mine in its box.! I was one of the winners of the kit and was so happy. I still smile everytime I look at the box ! I want to put it together, but nothing ever came to me as what to make it. It's such a rare kit I don't want to screw it up.!

• Like 1

Kelly, I know what you mean. As soon as i opened the box and felt the smooth, rich surface it reminded me of the mushroom that became the inspiration for the little Christmas house in the Bohemian woods. I couldn't even think about painting the walls, inside or out, just the roof, to mimic the inspiration mushroom. I have to admit that I still feel sorry for the White Orchid that was painted black. Maybe it told the person who did it that it wanted to be black, but I hear it crying for help. It's the only house belonging to someone else that I've ever heard speak to me. Maybe it's because my White Orchid was adamant about remaining pristine that I'm filtering it in quite that way.

In any event, yes, the White Orchid is a rare kit and deserves to be handled thoughtfully. I'm sure it will call out to you one day.

• Like 1

Kelly and KathieB, I know what you mean. Part of the reason I've been making myself go slow with this kit is I don't want to mess it up (although I always feel that way about a kit). But in this case, because the kit is a limited edition I've wanted to take care with it and not change it very much. That's why I'm planning to leave the outside unchanged (except for possibly the roof and foundation.) :D

More experiments in paint!

Krylon Colormaster Primer spray paint sticks. There is also a specific plastic primer, but I wanted to try this one and am happy that it sticks. It has a paper-like finish texture when dry, and I tested acrylic paint on this last night. It sticks pretty well. The acrylic goes on top of the primer much like painting wood, streaking and all, so I would have to do several coats. It dried hard, and I don't think it's any more delicate than if painted on wood. It will scrape and chip but only if you work at it, intentionally trying to remove it.

So these spray paints (for plastics) will work fine and the primer works great too. :D