I'm feeling a little intimidated. . .

Annette

I just finished putting the 3rd coat of primer on the interior of the harrison (the wood is so dry :wave: it's just sucking it up), but I'm ready to start working on the front of the house. I have seen pictures of Tudor houses that have stones half-way up and then the wood trim on the rest, I really liked that and decided that I wanted that look on mine. After seeing all the wonderful pics of what everyone has done with paperclay I went and found Tracy's tutorial on how to do it, seemed easy enough even for me :evil: . I went to Michaels and got some paperclay and a few other things :D:rip: . But now I'm getting a little nervous :( , it's pretty big even if I'm only doing the bottom half. Greg told me you don't know what you can do unless you try, what do you all think? I guess I need a pep talk before a dive into something new :wave: .

quoted straight out of Water boy.. " YOU CAN DO IT!" dont be intimitated! greg is right, you gotta try! and i know it will look amazing :wave: cant wait to see pics!

Annette, you can do it. You have to start somewhere and if you don't like it--scrape it off and start over. Tracy is a good teacher and not only is there the fireplace tutorial--look over some of her house blogs and she shows more. Plus if you get nervous, she is real good about answering questions. Ask me how I know that LOL

GO FOR IT. :wave:

Annette,

Please don't be intimidated. The nice thing about paperclay is that you can see how it's going to look even after a few stones so you can get a space of say 3" X 3" and have a Really good idea of if you like it or if you want to start over. And if you're worried about it drying before you get done keep a spray mister handy. That's what I did on my Lafeyette. Instead fo doing block work I did actually little stones of paperclay. Once I got the bottom corner of the fireplace done and could see that it was actually going to work I found it very relaxing just making little balls of clay and flattening them into different shape stones. I used a old worn out paint brush to kind of shape the edge so that the stones stacked up. It was fun after I got over being afraid of trying it :D Definitely give it a try I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with your results :wave::wave:

-David

Oh you can do it I am sure :wave: , just allow yourself time and take it easy and you will have a result you will be mighty proud of when done. Just don't rush it, allow it to grow and you will have a ball working on it

Hugs

Annette Go for it!!! Now, you might end up hating working with it or you may love it, but you won't know till you try. Start with a small area on one side and go from there -- you'll be amazed at what you can accomplish :wave:

You can do it Annette! Give yourself plenty of time so you don't feel rushed and just have fun with it! The worst that can happen is you won't like it and you'll have to scrape it off! Check out my Orchid blog in the Community section. I had to do just that, but in the end it all worked out!! :wave:

Annette -

One lesson I've learned in working with miniatures is that anything can be fixed. If it doesn't turn out the way you intended, you can either correct it or scrape it off and start again.

Don't let the "but I've never done it before" voice stop you from trying a technique or skill that you'd like to learn.

-Susanne

I know 100% You can do it and I am with Greg and everyone else here about that fact!

Follow the steps in the blogs or tutorials and I promise you it will turn out wonderfully! Remember if you start making a brick or stone pattern you can always smooth it out with a flat tool and start over (As long as you do it while the clay is wet). You have between 45 min. - 60min to make changes to the stone but the sooner you notice any errors the better for you. I have even covered over with fresh clay to start something over :wave: .

If you have any questions, just ask.

You can do it! just jump in!

Paper clay is in my future this week so it will be a first for me but i figure that you won't learn unless you practice! Don't feel intimidated, just go for it!

Marg -

What are you going to use the paperclay for this week? Will you post pictures?

-Susanne

Hey Susanne! I am working on the Tennyson right now and i want to have a 2 story fireplace on the right wall (looking from back of the house)....it will have an openin in the kitchen and a cauldron over a fire....the bedroom upstairs will also have a fireplace. I want to paperclay the chimney inside and out! I plan to do a stonework look. I have all the components i need to complete the project, I just need to jump in and do it! I'll take pictures when i'm done! :wave:

Thanks guys, you all are the best :D . I have nothing planned tomorrow so I have the whole day to work on it. I'll start with one side and see how it goes. I'll let y'all know how it went and maybe have some pics (if I can find batteries, they died taking pics of the birthday girl :lol: ) :lol: .

I just thought I'd add that if you want to do your "stone" as infill between the timbers I have traced around the "timbering" onto posterboard and did the infill treatments on that for my Glencroft, since I wanted brick infill for the bottom floor exterior (it's in my Glencroft team blog).

I just thought I'd add that if you want to do your "stone" as infill between the timbers I have traced around the "timbering" onto posterboard and did the infill treatments on that for my Glencroft, since I wanted brick infill for the bottom floor exterior (it's in my Glencroft team blog).

Holly it looks beautiful, I'm not sure how I'm setting the timbers up yet, still a work in progress :yes: .

I tried the paperclay today and it wasn't that hard putting it on at all (just did a small section). It was a challenge to do the stonework pattern. First I tried to do field stones, didn't look right, so then I tried block stones, they look alright for a first attempt. I'm going to let it dry overnight and see how it looks tomorrow then go from there.

Thanks again to all of you for your support :p , if it wasn't for all of you and Greg :happy: I probably would have never tried it . :thanks:

Annette,

I Love it!! That's the pattern I want to do for the castle.. yea the one I keep saying I"m working on but haven't done anything to yet... <sigh> You did a Great Job!! I hope mine turns out as good as yours :D

-David :blush:

Thanks everyone. I'm very happy on how it turned out. :p

David, I'm sure your castle will be beautiful when you get it done ;) . I found a picture of the pattern online. I did a search for field stone and stonework on houses and fell in love with the look of it as soon as I seen it. Printed it out and followed the picture.

I can already vision it when it's finished and painted, moss put on in certain places. Oh boy I'm getting way ahead of myself :) , does anyone else do that? :thumb: