Any other scrap wood hoarders out there ?

Stacey6163

Sorry, Holly. I thought you had meant it was 'official'.

Good idea, Debra. :D It really is 'recycling'. Hoarding would indicate that we just keep extras and never use them (wouldn't it?). Saving stuff for future use (and eventually using them) is recycling.

Kind of off topic, but--I'm completely deaf in my right ear. When in a noisy environment I'm am not aware of anyone trying to get my attention from just behind my right ear. Very annoying for me and the person trying to get my attention. My dentist does his work from the right side and likes to chat with me, I'm always clueless to what he his saying under his mask (I am a good lip reader), so I just say "a huh". I figure they expect that type of response anyway since you can't speak while they are working on you.

So I can easily relate to why he did not hear your request.

Sudden hearing loss is very traumatic. It just happens overnight and they don't really know why it happens. I consider myself half a person, I have one kidney, one ear, one Fallopian tube and I had a bad scare last week when I poked myself in the eye. Luckily, the cornea heals quickly and everything is fine now.

• Like 2

My hearing loss has been gradual and partial and pretty much bilateral. In noisy environments if someone doesn't half shout into my ear I don't lipread well enough to tell what they're saying. It was aggravating my balance issues, so we got our doctor to give me an audiologist referral and he tested me every which way from Sunday and suggested I do Tai Chi. I have a book and a dvd and experienced lots better control just from a couple of the warm up exercises.

On the off topic subject:I'm nearly 100% deaf in one ear. It's been that way most of my adulthood (I'm 57),possibly hereditary on my father and his mother's side-she wore a hearing aid for decades,Daddy refused to be tested. I was told twice by doctors they could open me up to see what the exact cause is,but still might not be able to repair it-no thanx! Finally had enough money for a hearing aid a few years ago,and it did just okay. After about 18 months of a bit of improvement,the hearing aid was damaged beyond repair-carelessness on my part,don't ask-and I have not had the funds since to replace it. It has been a miserable ordeal all these years,trying to make others understand I cannot help it if I cannot hear them the first time,and sometimes not the second or third time-impatient jerks abound in this world! Sometimes I really wonder if they might be more understanding if I were totally deaf and couldn't hear at all,so as to not inconvenience them having to repeat themselves...

On topic,I haven't made use of my kit scraps yet,but have learned from the wise ones on the Forum to hold on to them! :)

I have used many, many pieces from my hoarded, excuse me, recycled bits. The word "scraps" doesn't do our supply justice. Scraps sounds like something you throw out. These are highly usable articles of " I will use this one day" ! And don't even get started on all the crap, excuse me again , trash to treasure stuff that I hoard, uh, recycle.

• Like 3

Hi, I'm Deb and I'm a wood hoarder. I save all the cool shapes, punch outs, and negative spaces from trim plus all the staircases and walls and other parts of kits that I didn't use plus scraps from pieces that I made for bashes, and.......well, you get the idea.

You know those reeeeeeeeeeally big plastic tubs? The opaque colored ones that are heavy duty sized and shaped? When we moved I found that I had *three* of them; all packed full of scraps and pieces. <heavy sigh> Unfortunately, it wasn't practical to move my wood collection halfway across the country so it got put into the Bagster and taken away. <sniffling> I did keep the best and coolest pieces so there's about half of a regular sized tub left. And one drawer full of the small pieces. And maybe a couple of small tubs. Oh, and then there are two under-bed plastic tubs filled with nothing but shingles, siding strips, and birch floor tiles.

My wallpaper collection is almost as bad as the wood scraps but more than anything, I love wood.

Deb

• Like 3

.... but more than anything, I love wood.

Amen !!!!!!! I have the worst time in museums that have wonderfully carved woodwork and furniture collections because I'm SO tempted to pet the wood and it's considered a huge NO-NO !! I did get yelled at by a guard one time for doing it. I try to keep my hands in my pockets or filled with something so I won't touch.

.... The word "scraps" doesn't do our supply justice. Scraps sounds like something you throw out. These are highly usable articles of " I will use this one day" ! And don't even get started on all the crap, excuse me again , trash to treasure stuff that I hoard, uh, recycle.

And to think that our wood pieces and bottle caps and plastic bits and "this and thats"are scraps - perish the thought. We are the epitome of recyclers at their best and that's that!!!!

I was really happy to be a scrapwood hoarder this morning...I got two staircases for the price of one! I went to find the staircase that I bought when I bought the laser cut porch and staircase that went with the contest kit last year or the year before...I couldn't find one of the risers...It's a little hard to do a one sided staircase. I looked in the drawer and the solution was stair-ing up at me... There was another perfect set of risers where the missing one had been... This kit was cut with a straight back on the scrap and all I had to do is cut both ends of the two pieces at the right angles and I have the basis for another set of steps. IT PAYS TO SAVE SCRAPS!!!