Altered Books

Deb

I have on occasion been told "you are WEIRD" hehehehehe... I love getting compliments like that!

Today my husband picked up a random piece of paper in the living room with funny red splotches on it. So he waved it about and asked my daughters "is this blood or is it some of your art?"

He didn't appreciate it when I started laughing hysterically, in fact, I had to sit down, I was laughing so much!!!!! That's my girls for you, hehehehehe, boundless creativity and unstoppable little artists.

I'm really glad that we're having this conversation because it's sooooooooo wonderful to talk to other people who share the passion for creativity no matter what form it takes. Whether we're making something that our soul guides us to do, or creating something that exists simply for its beauty or character, or following the whims of the mediums that we love, it's all because of that passion inside us that we can't ignore. It's our oxygen and I love talking to other artists who "get it". I think we're a special breed and we need each other in our lives so we don't feel isolated because we're not like other people. <whispering> I've noticed that other people think we're kind of weird and say that we dress funny. hehehehehehehehe

I love altered arts.And am so glad that my "hoarding" is normal......lol. It seems that every corner of my house has some supply,or project

that "talks" to me. My daughter and i also alter cigar boxes. We paint, stencil, paper, stamp and embellish them. She gives them away to people

to make them feel good.(It's my therapy)

Miniatures are an escape into imagination, any possibility. Doesn't have to be perfect,like altered art. The imperfect is wonderful.

Forgive my rambling........

Gail :bear:

Please ramble all you want Gail! I enjoyed your post and your altering of cigar boxes caught my attention since my DH has been toying with the idea of making a cigar box guitar. Thru his interest in that I've seen some jaw dropping works of art made from altered cigar boxes.

<grinning> We had to stop watching Hoarders on tv because Bruce is also a miniaturist (he does 1:36 military dioramas) who has his own studio and between us we snag every potential mini supply from the caps on new electric plugs to bits of foam. Every time we'd watch it, we'd look at each other and laugh a little nervously. hehehehehe We have one of those companionable marriages where we hardly ever fight but if we do it's usually because he didn't put my EZ Cutter back after he used it. LOL!!!

Today my husband picked up a random piece of paper in the living room with funny red splotches on it. So he waved it about and asked my daughters "is this blood or is it some of your art?"

<rolling around laughing hysterically> Oh lordy, that's just too funny. I love that the question was posed in a "should I compliment you or take you to the hospital?" kind of way. :rofl:

Deb

• Like 1

I was able to spend some time in the studio yesterday and added beading to the current pages I'm working on and did a little finger painting (I love having a sensory connection to the mediums). Then I was suddenly buried under an avalanche of insight when I realized that what had started out to be just random practicing of techniques was developing into a very interesting theme that could only have come from my subconscious. I sat back and looked at the two pages I had just finished and with an objective eye, I could see a very strong message. And then I realized that it was progressing from something I had done on the first page which was all related to the fact that the book I'm altering was given to me by a woman who appeared to be very frail and turned out to be strong as iron----and the things I'm doing are all about the strength of women thru adversity. Silly me, I thought that the book was going to be about nature. Little did I realize it was going to be about human nature, not Mother Nature. I was intending to incorporate some of that into another book about something else later on but apparently it needs to be done now. <wry grin> It always turns out to be what it wants to be, doesn't it? I just thought that it was cool that I could look at something that I had done to just play and see that it had turned into a representation of the similarities between women and precious metals. That's such an awesome feeling to discover insightful art in your own work when you aren't expecting it. Just thought I'd share that happy moment with you guys.

Deb

• Like 1

I'm reading thru this on my phone at work. Can't wait to

get back to it on my computer and see some pictures. My mother has had an altered book for years - it's an old dictionary and she hides a pistol in it. :)

• Like 3

I found an awesome site for free printables ,I about wore the printer out. Tons of gorgeous vintage old photos and ads, and all sorts of things. www.freevintagedigistamps.blogspot.com. I'll have to get new ink cartridges before I can go back again. :-)

• Like 1

That is cute Kat , a lot of neat projects on that site, thanks for the link ! :)

While searching for pop up pages I came across Iris folding, another project to try. I've started on a couple of pages for my altered book, craft and seed catalogs are coming in handy.

• Like 2

I've really enjoyed reading this topic. I started making altered books in the 60's, when I was a kid. I also started with scrapbooking back then. My Grandparents owned a Print Shop which was next to their home. I grew up playing in there, using real life business for my crafting springboard. It was all part of a very magical childhood. My Grandpa custom made all kinds of invitations, programs, posters, etc. for us. I had blank journals he made for my birthday party favors that say 'Happy Birthday Morgan' on the cover. What memories.

• Like 1

That sounds awesome Morgan, one of my first jobs was in a print shop , I really enjoyed it . I love how these altered books tie in with doing miniatures, the puzzle house I'm working on has different bird wallpapers in it, I'm saving all the leftover pieces for pages in the book. I have some pop up birds, bird collages, fancy collages, paper dolls,Victorian prints......... and on and on. :). Lots of fun !!

I LOVED visiting the links and learning about Altered Books! If I wasn't so completely consumed by my dollhouse project, I would be making one myself right now! Sigh... one day! Thanks for sharing about this.

I'm so thrilled to have found so many others who make altered books and have such great advice to share! I've done just a wee bit of work on mine in the past couple of weeks partly because my hands are being fussy and partly because I've been working on covering art journals for a couple of special young ladies. I reeeeeeeeeally like doing that part of altered books, especially if the fabrics have a pleasing texture. I'm covering one in emerald green silk velvet which slips and slides like crazy but is soooo pretty. The embellishing part of the covers is a lot of fun for me too so I'm pretty sure that everyone I know will be receiving covered books as gifts in the future. LOL!! When I can, silk ribbon embroidery is going to be a big contributor to the designs but that's going to depend on my hands. I made a fun find in the jewelry department at walmart this week too.......stretch bracelets of emerald cut "jewels" in bright colored glass set into flat backed metal so they can be cut apart and the individual gems used in all sorts of ways. Ooooooooooh. Thsparklies!!!!!!

Deb

• 4 weeks later...

I love altered books! I do altered matchboxes, the small ones. I mostly make shrines, I recently did a christian one for my sister, and I do them with little scenes in - summer, winter and so on. Such fun.

• 2 months later...

That is so cool! I haven't done a very 3D one yet. Do you display it under a glass case?

Theme.....hmmm... the first thing that sprang to mind was Jason and the Argonauts, but could it be a viking ship with a sea dragon, the Drekei?

Actually it just sits on the mantle above my fireplace gathering cobwebs and dust... I had to dust it off before taking a pic which is no easy task since the water is all spiky! LOL. The theme is from a well known book that was semi-recently turned into a movie.

• Like 1

It's The Voyage of the Dawn Treader by CS Lewis, the third book (chronologically) in The Chronciles of Narnia; poor Eustis is still a dragon and either about to fight (or has fought a skirmish) with the sea monster poor Edmund inadvertantly thought up. In the book I thought the sail was purple, or is that just my monitor making it look black?

• Like 1