Starting to think about my next project! What's your favorite Greenleaf?

southernfried01

I am wrapping up the Fairfield, and I'm starting to feel sad that it's almost done. It's a gift for my daughter, so it's pretty basic compared to some houses I've seen on the forum, but for my first build, I'm really proud of it! I still have to shingle it and put in some molding and a couple other small things, but for the purpose of gifting to the kid, it's a pretty simple house.

I've had some wonderful ideas for details, but for the sake of time I didn't do anything particularly time consuming. I really enjoyed working on it and would love to make a more intricate house and take my time to do what I want.

I like the Greenleaf kit a lot. It was easy enough for my novice self to assemble but still beautiful at the same time. I have been browsing other Greenleafs and I like the Harrison, the Beacon Hill and the Pierce, They are all 1 inch scale that I've seen, and I've only done the half scale so far, so I would like to see if I enjoy the larger scale. Plus...it seems that 1 inch scale items are cheaper than half scale!

I'm curious for your own personal experiences with builds. What has been your favorite Greenleaf build?

You are also probably wanting to see my progress. I also can't figure out to post photos in the forum post. I did it once before in another topic but for the life of me I can't remember how to do it...Help?

• Like 2

My favorite house is my Beacon Hill...for several reasons. First, its easy to display compared to say the Pierce which I have a hard time displaying because it has an L shape. The "footprint" is relatively small for what is a very large house. Second, lots of room to decorate,a dedicated stairwell and large rooms. Third, the design is beautiful and sort of...imposing, like a large Victorian should be. Fourth, to build it is enough of a challenge to stretch your skills, but also very doable to those who are just getting used to what it takes to build and complete a house.

Congrats on completing your Fairfield :-)

• Like 4

To upload your pictures... the easiest way is to click on the gallery link on the top of the page... then on the next page you will see an "upload" button on the right side... click it... the next steps are pretty simple... and the process will pretty much walk you through it.... create an album and then choose your pictures to upload :) .... I hope that helps.....

As for favorite Greenleaf house... that is actually a tough question for me, because I love so many of them. I would have to say I think my favorite 1:12 scale house is the Glencroft. Mainly because I ADORE Tudor houses, the rooms are very large and the details are wonderful. I added a few "pop out" windows to mine.. it's very simple to do on this kit. This was my 2nd Greenleaf house, it was intimidating when I first opened the box, but I was soon engrossed in the build, and loved every step of it.

My favorite 1/2 scale house (which is my favorite scale) I think would be a tie between the Diana and the Rosedale. I sell most of my houses... but the 3 I mentioned here I have kept because I have a pretty strong attachment to them :) The Rosedale is wonderful... there are several ladies building them right now if you look in the gallery you'll see quiet a few images... it's a wonderful house... the stair way is a dream in this one :)

I am looking forward to seeing your pictures of your Fairfield...

Kelly :)

• Like 1

I'm working on finishing up The Orchid and have started the Pierce , my first two builds were kits from another company , but I like the GL kits much better. I have a nice little stash of GL houses waiting to be built , but the Beacon Hill is at the top of my wish list .

• Like 1

My favorite GL houses (because there is more than one) are the 1:24 Rosedale and 1:24 Diana. I adore the Beacon Hill, but am not going to do any more one inch scale for the time being, so until GL comes out with it in half scale, or I try to do one myself in half scale, I have to admire them from afar.

The Rosedale grew on me. It's kind of a sleeper. You've got to take a close look at it, because it's a wall flower. But it's such a clean slate to work with (on the exterior) and as Kelly said, the staircase (and the trap door to the attic) are wonderful interior touches. The Diana is just a beautiful little house with a ton of trim details.

Kelly, this is going to sound sort of crazy, but what about a Tudor Rosedale? You might have to change the roof pitch and windows, but....

• Like 1

I don't think I have a favorite GL dollhouse. Don't think I have really ever built one either. I just love the dollhouses and building them and making the miniatures that I can that go in them.

Of all my builds, though, I think the Heritage (Dura-Craft) was my favorite. I would love to build another.

I would love to have a Westville though! I don't know why, but it just appeals to me, even more then my Newberg. I know the Westville is a GL DH, but it is really hard to make a specific choice as to a real solid favorite.

GL does have some awesome houses and maybe someday I can get a few or more and build them, too. Then I might find a favorite from them (lol)...or maybe for a few days I'll have a favorite (lol).

In the meantime, I will start one of my stash after the holidays and go from there. I just think dollhouses are fun, relaxing and fills a creative space for me.

That's like choosing your favorite child. I have several favorites. Favorites in each scale, in different styles... If we're going to give helpful input, what about letting us be nosy? :) Do you have any ideas in mind for style, color, era, theme...anything? Do you plan it to be nothing but fun, or a peaceful and calming look? Also, is space a concern?

My favorite build (so far) would have to be the Glencroft, but for the "finished" house it's a tie between the Glencroft and the Magnolia. Both are elegant builds with lots of pizazz.

I built two Fairfield kits to be halves of a single Bar Harbor summer cottage, so I built one of them insideout. The rightsideout one I bashed a stair to the third floor and modified the top of the tower to connect it to the rest of the third floor and made a servants' bathroom/ utility room. Both third floors comprise servants' quarters and nursery. The rightsideout Fairfield also has the foyer, study, kitchen, pantry, two of the bedrooms and a bath, and a gallery hall. The insideout Fairfield tower I opened to its roof and installed a Foucault's Pendulum in the former foyer. The second floor is pretty much like the rightsideout version, except for a railing where I cut away the tower floor. The first floor has the parlor, diningroom and family room. There's also a small formal garden with a lighthouse that's combination playhouse and garden folly.

• Like 1

Beacon Hill, for sure; Willowcrest, Westville and Magnolia are also favorite builds of mine. Though I just finished the half-scale Rosedale (pics in my gallery) and it's a wonderful little house. :bear:

My next build is the Laurel, however; it's a simple slate of a house, so looking forward to seeing what I can do with that kit!

Debora, I love what you said about the Rosedale being a "sleeper" or a wallflower. Sometimes I just go to ebay or the GL sales website and try to look at all of the kits with fresh eyes and an open mind to see if theres something Im missing. Often there is! Although it takes up hours of time, I love to just window shop and consider different houses even if Im not in the market for one right away.

• Like 2

Debora, I love what you said about the Rosedale being a "sleeper" or a wallflower. Sometimes I just go to ebay or the GL sales website and try to look at all of the kits with fresh eyes and an open mind to see if theres something Im missing. Often there is! Although it takes up hours of time, I love to just window shop and consider different houses even if Im not in the market for one right away.

Karin, I love looking at the images of the different kits too. I like the unpainted ones best because there are no preconceptions, but I realize GL needs photos of a painted house for sales purposes.

It was by studying the images that I realized what a great house the Rosedale is. :Xmas:

• Like 1

Kelly, this is going to sound sort of crazy, but what about a Tudor Rosedale? You might have to change the roof pitch and windows, but....

Ohhhh Debora... I am going to have to give this some thought.... the top floor could be extended over the body of the house.... giving it a Tudor feel... hmmmmm

(I am having a hard time keeping my mind on the Jamine on off of the Rosedale)

Karin is right... your sleeper comment describes it perfectly :)

• Like 1

Stephanie, I don't think there is such a thing as a "pretty basic" dollhouse, as each one seems to be subjected to some form of individuality, whether it is in the build, the decorating, the personal aspects, etc. So you should feel very proud of yourself. Congratulations and happy dollhouse wrapping for your daughter.

I don't work on the construction of miniatures or dollhouses, but I know the Greenleaf models and can offer an opinion. First of all, I love the Fairfield, and it is my favorite of the half-scale models, although that's not to say the other half-scale homes are any less unique. I think I like the layout of the Fairfield because I can picture it as a real home, but also because its partial back and side openings provide intriquing looks inside the home. If you can build a half-scale Fairfield, I think you are ready to take on a larger scale home.

Your next project really depends on what you are aiming for. If you want a full-scale cottage home, my favorite is the Glencroft. It just speaks to your imagination, and I have seen people do some wonderfully creative things with their Glencrofts on this site.

However, if you don't want to go with a tudor style, or want a larger home, your mention of the Beacon Hill and the Pierce are both popular houses, and I recommend you doing a search on this site for both houses, as again, I have seen incredible finished products. Of the two, I would pick the Beacon Hill because it offers a little bit of everything - the Victorian look, an easily accessible layout, a front porch, and a balcony. I also think it would be easier to wallpaper and/or paint the interior. However, the Pierce has a very impressive wrap-around porch.

If I were to build a home from a kit, I would probably go with the Garfield before the Pierce, as they are similar, but the third-story floor plan on the Garfield is more detailed. However, parts of the interior may be more inaccesible yet. I purchased a ready-built Garfield in the 80s, but it was never wallpapered, and I am afraid if I contract the house, the dollhouse dealers will have to remove some walls in order to reach some areas. So I can see why the Pierce may be less intimidating but equally charming.

I hope my comments helped rather than confused you, as I am sure your next project will be rewarding regardless of what you pick. Please let us know what you decide and keep us posted.

That's like choosing your favorite child. I have several favorites. Favorites in each scale, in different styles... If we're going to give helpful input, what about letting us be nosy? :) Do you have any ideas in mind for style, color, era, theme...anything? Do you plan it to be nothing but fun, or a peaceful and calming look? Also, is space a concern?

Space is a concern, as for the time being I am living in a two bed apartment with my daughter, but in a few months, my SO and I will be looking for a 4 bedroom house together (or a three bed with an office or study), and I have already made it clear that I need space for myself to paint (I also enjoy creating watercolor and acrylic art and sold my work in art fairs, when I had more time before the child was in my life), craft various things and such. I am a crafter at heart and enjoy creating things with my own hands and imagination. I make the majority of the Christmas gifts for my friends and family. This year, I decoupaged many items like keepsake boxes and clocks for my loved ones. Anyway, the boyfriend's domain will be the garage, so I am getting an extra room for "me" time! So, if I choose to work on a large 1" scale, it will have to wait until we get settled.

I am in love with Victorian and Colonial. When browsing photos, the Beacon Hill really speaks to me, and I see it as powder blue with white trim. It reminds me of a home in Washington DC that I loved as a child. I would ask my mother to take a detour to look at it when we anywhere close by!

I will have to wait until the child goes to bed so I can take photos of the progress on the Fairfield. I have some that I took the other day, but I've worked on it since, so they are not current. The house is hiding in my master closet behind a box I've fashioned to hide the thing from curious eyes :)

I heard some validating news from my daughter this evening. We went to a holiday party at my employer's senior director's house and one of my co-worker's wives asked my daughter what she wanted for Christmas. She said, "The only thing I want is a red dollhouse." Guess what color the Fairfield is? Yep!

• Like 2

Greenleaf makes a number of 1:24 kits. Two years ago last summer we moved 200 miles west of our old house to a three-bedroom job with a two-car garage that has been packed out with the contents of a workshop, a workroom and all our sports interests. Once the workshop's concrete floor finishes curing, by early next month, and can be sealed, we can move the workshop contents out of the garage and let DH have half for his trains and garbage vehicle collection, and the other half for my dollhouses, and the middle for our shared bad habits (jigsaw puzzles, among others). I want to move the hiking sticks and fishing poles out of the hall and into a corner of the garage, too (most of the fishing gear lives in the RV's storage areas).

LOL... that's a great tradition Karin... much better than mine.... I sit down at the table... sniffle... sob a little... chant "no no no" then start gluing.... (I have found I much prefer paperclay on roofs)

Stephanie your Fairfield is adorable... I love the colors... that red is just striking... I'd love to see more. Your daughter is sure to be thrilled ;)

Stephanie, once the shingles are on the roof, think long and hard about leaving them the color they already are; with that shade of red on the house, you might be pleasantly surprised with the lighter color roof.