Setting a goal to finish my Garfield House by January 1st!

mininecessities

First of all.........Congratulations to all of you on your Spring Fling Entries and winners! Amazing work guys!

Haven't been on the forum so anxious to catch up on whats going on.

Well, I am setting a goal to finish my Garfield house in 3 weeks...by January 1st!!

Here are the main things I need to do:

1. Ceiling lights in master bedroom and 2nd floor landing

2. Attic floors and windows

3. Walls, floors, and windows in the tower room

4. Exterior plaster

5. Shingle roof pieces

6. Paint or slat n paint the porch

7. Install all doors

Not necessarily in that order. I will put shingles on roof pieces but the house has to come out of the craft room before I put roof together or it wont fit through the doorway.

So if some of you don't hear from me thats what I am up to.

Will I reach my goal? LOL we will see....it looks pretty iffy , but I think 7 years on this needs to come to an end! Course there is always the yard to do yikes!

Wonder if it is even possible lol

Oh my goodness, Cheryl - if you can pull that off, you will be my hero!

I love the tiled floor with the Modge Podge finish. I'm aiming for a shiny floor too in my Arthur, so your tips are really helpful - thank you.

My Garfield (still in the box) is already intimidating me and sending telepathic messages about what she wants. She got really excited when Holly (I think) mentioned a Garfield would make a beautiful Station. Nope - not even going there!

Do you plan on keeping it on a turntable? Or haven't you thought of that yet?

• Like 1

Thanks so much girls! No Lene I don't have a turntable but that would be nice. I live in a small house so something may have to go lol.........maybe the TV or the Couch? lol just kidding. anyway thanks for the encouragement! I think once I get on a roll here there will be no stopping me,

• Like 1

You can do it! I built my daughters Heritage in less then 3 weeks. Though I didn't do alot of the fancy stuff and it didn't get painted, etc. But I started from scratch and it sounds as though you are farther ahead then that. Good luck! Just think of The Little Engine That Could. Keep saying that to yourself. You will get there! P.S. Just a note to everyone (probably wrong forum), we took a good look at the Heritage yesterday. Looks like a rehab may be in order (lol) if I can convince my daughter.

• Like 2

Cheryl, for a house like the Garfield seven years doesn't sound all THAT long, considering how it's turning out! I personally hate deadlines, because something always seems to come up to make me miss them!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Well as you may guess I won't make it. Between weddings n receptions and holiday stuff and my knee making it hard to walk and in a lot of pain sometimes lol that and just also too much Netflix...........but I did get a lot done and going back to work on it in a few days. thanks for all your encouragement all of you!! This board does help me with getting motivated to work on my houses!

Before I got my Garfield, I set myself a deadline of 18months to 2yrs. April will be 2yrs since I first started working on her. I am not going to make the deadline. I have come to realize that deadlines for building dollhouses for someone like me, just won't work. Especially since I'm still quite the amateur. I will work at my own pace and I will do my best to try to complete her, sometime soon. :D

I commend you MiniNecessities, however, on your goals. And I wish you much success!

<3 <3 <3 <3 <3

~morning

Cheryl, I understand the Netflix road block completely. I've been having a Midsomer Murders marathon for the past few weeks. At least one episode a day really eats up daylight. :D

Besides, the houses progress at their own speed. It's sort of like real life home construction. You can plan all you want, but all estimates are just that -- estimates that depend on outside influences. Enjoy coasting along. It will be done in good time.

I can understand deadlines for people who build dollhouses (or whatever they make/ do) for a profession; but deadlines are MOST inappropriate for a hobby. I don't know about you, but for the pleasure I get just from seeing the results of my conversations with a particular house coming together, it doesn't matter how long it takes. If it's a gift, a house like the Garfield needs to go to someone who can appreciate all the work that goes into it. It can take as long as it takes, IMO.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...