Need your opinion on my fireplace..

Ms. Mini

Well today I finished the fireplace in the kitchen of my willowrest. All the mosaic tiles and staining came out great. I'm really happy with them. :) But I feel like somethings missing.. :D Any suggestions? I was thinking some silver pots hanging from the tiles would look good. Any input would be appreciated :p

Thanks,

Jenny

post-505-1159753515_thumb.jpg

Jenny the tiles look great :) and the pots are a wonderful idea and would look sharp :p .

Have you thought of a adding mantle? I would go with one of the big old barn wood type, that would look neat with a few more pots and some kitchen utensiles (sp?), but then I'm not sure what the overall look your going for and I'm a sucker for mantles on fireplaces (more places to put stuff) :D .

Ok - before you all shoot me for this - I know it's a royal pain of an idea but I don't think I'd hang anything from the tile. The first thing that struck me is for the size of the tiles I'd try painting a little design on every other one... either all the mauve tiles or all the blue grey ones - maybe a simple flower design , simple bird figures, or a some other simple design - I remember seeing some kitchens like that when I was a kid and always thought they were very cool - with the same pattern on every other tile, and definitely some kind of mantle. They sell tiny bottles of nail paint to do hand painted designs on finger nails so the brushes are real small and the nail enamel should stick to the tiles. Just an idea.

-David :D

great ideas guys!!

ya i think a mantle would like awesome too, I think im going to see what extra scraps i have to see what i can come up with. i think kettle would be a cool thing to put too :D

I agree with everybody else. A mantle with some legs down the sides would be nice and would cover over the remaining parts of the wall that are untiled.

It looks great so far!!

I agree with everybody else. A mantle with some legs down the sides would be nice and would cover over the remaining parts of the wall that are untiled.

I agree with the mantle and legs on the sides. It is looking Super Wonderful though and I think you did GREAT on the tiles too!

I'll add my voice about the mantle and legs too. :blink: That would really make the fireplace stand out and pull it all together. I like David's idea about the pictures on the tiles. As soon as he said that, I had a flashback to the movie "Arsenic and Old Lace". (It's my very favorite movie of all time and the house in that movie is *fantastic" and features a great old tiled fireplace) I'm not sure how well it would work on tile, but you could try using stamps (the ink kind, not the postal type) on the tile, then give it a spray of sealing lacquer when it's dry. I'd try it on a spare tile first to make sure the ink will hold to it and dry correctly.

Deb

In line with davids idea of the pictures and nailpolish. I think (I could be wrong!) you can get little decals for nails as well and that would be a simple way to add them.

Or, what about using a punched out shape, there are lots of great looking punches around and one oculd then punch the shapes out of a paper shade one likes, add to the wall and perhaps add a sealant on top of that, and I am also definitley voting for a mantle and like the ideas of those "legs" as well!

Hugs

In line with davids idea of the pictures and nailpolish. I think (I could be wrong!) you can get little decals for nails as well and that would be a simple way to add them.

starfire that is genious!!! great idea!!! targt has so many types of those. I LOVE IT! everyone else thank you so much for your opinions i am deff going to be adding legs and a mantle! i cant wait to get off work and go work on it!!!

p.s. did everyone get the memo about my name change on here? im no longer sweetsdgirl85!

-Jenny

Ok so I worked on my fireplace some more, and i am really excited with how it turned out. Let me know what you think..

Willowcrest053.jpg

Willowcrest054.jpg

Willowcrest057.jpg

so what do you think? i uploaded the rest of the pics in my gallery and im about to put them in my webshots as well :wave:

-Jenny

Looks really great, will have to scoot over to the galleries as well to indulge my eyecandy fix :wave: before hitting the TV sofa with hubby...

Thanks for sharing!

Hugs

its getting there! and HOW :wave:

I like the mantle but can you add another peice on the top or bottom to make it thicker

I LOVE the tiles!

where did you get them?

and you are going to re frame the actual fireplace?

love the wood against the tile!

and your copper peices look fab!

instead of the photo how about more copper peices?

that would look so good. a very nice display area for those type of things!

ty for sharing

:miner:

nutti :D

its getting there! and HOW :wave:

I like the mantle but can you add another peice on the top or bottom to make it thicker

I LOVE the tiles!

where did you get them?

and you are going to re frame the actual fireplace?

love the wood against the tile!

and your copper peices look fab!

instead of the photo how about more copper peices?

that would look so good. a very nice display area for those type of things!

ty for sharing

:miner:

nutti :D

ya im planning on adding another piece to the top mantle. ive been using scrap wood as i finsih using the sheets for the willowcrest. so as i go i will put more aside for the fire place. i love the tiles too! i got them at michaels. they come in 25 tiles per bag and its only 2.99! u cant beat that. i love cheap little finds. thats the only copper pieces of have so far , but im keeping my eyes out for some coper pots and pans to go with them. And that photo fram i was planning on putting a old fashion still picture of the willowcrest in it once its finished. and use camera effects to make it look old. but im also thinking a clock might look really good there as well. so im still deciding!

I have these scrap pieces from my garfield trims that i saved and glued together...

Willowcrest048.jpg

Im going to be paiting these a steel color and making them kind of a little fence area to go infront of the fireplace. and im going to do some kind of stoning in the middle so i can have a little cauldron there :wave: im so excited i love seeing my favorite greenleaf house of all slow coming into my own reation :evil:

Jenny it's looking great :wave: , I think the clock would be a better idea than a picture, but that idea you have about making an old fashion pic of the house would look great over another fireplace in the house. A cauldron is a wonderful idea, I would have never thought of that :cool: .

I love the mantle addition! For the tile in the firebox, you could use cardboard egg crate. It will not take up depth--important, since the firebox is shallow-- and you can paint the egg crate "stones" any color or finish. Once you finish the firebox and add the firescreen, which is lovely BTW and andirons, it will be perfect!

Jeri

Awesome job with the tiles, although I do agree about losing the picture, to me it detracts from the details of the mantle and tankards. This is a kitchen, so I think putting a clock in place of the picture would work very well. Of course, that's just my opinion and when the kitchen is altogether the picture may work very well.