Rosedale for my niece

Blondie

I used a zig zag glue pattern on my speed shingles with a straight line across the top. Perhaps the half scale ones are thinner, but mine are also VERY thin. I didn't have problems with waving (lucky break). I used Aleene's Fast Grab Tacky. Hmmm. I wonder what the difference was. I didn't need any tape or anything. ??

I did a TON of work today. Thank you, Dalesq, for pushing me on!! :D

I painted the window sills and they were all the way dry by this afternoon, so I was able to glue those on along with the window frames. I'm now a bit confused about the sills because I seem to one extra that doesn't go anywhere... I'm sure I'll figure it out eventually. I also *think* I found the missing staircase banister. It might have accidentally gotten mixed in with the window frames. :bangin:

My anxiety has gone SIGNIFICANTLY down now that the windows are on. They add so much to the house and give it a HUGE facelift. :bounce8: I'm now very excited about the house.

• Like 2

Well Holly, that should keep you busy for a while! I saw a Pierce at a craft fair that was a total wreck. They had apparently assembled it with the hot glue which was oozing out of the seams. They painted the whole thing one color, pea soup green. It was such a shame. They had hung crocheted pot holders and other doodaads all over it to sell.....I was so tempted to make them a really low offer to buy it but then thought twice about rehabing a total wreck! Good luck with yours!

• Like 1

I used spackle as grout for the stone foundation and thought I'd ruined it, but then got the hang of it and it's turning out okay. Once it's dry I need to seal and paint. Since I had the stuff out I suddenly remembered I had a whole lot of little (and some big) spots to fill in. Spackle can be a mess of epic proportions in my hands. Now that I've cleaned up (and vacuumed) I'm feeling satisfied with it. :)

I got "almost" all of the inner windows in. The big bay front window needs help because the wallpaper isn't creased in the right corner -- more like curved -- so the window doesn't want to stick. I'll figure out a way to fix it. I glued on the shutters tonight. Next up: CUSTOM CORNER TRIM! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

• Like 2

I got some wood from Blick recently so I cut and glued it together to make three corner trims. Gina added a piece to the long back wall, but I'll be leaving that one off. I gave them the first coat of paint last night, and they'll need a couple more.

My goal for today is to squeeze in sanding the little brackets that go along the fascia over my lunch break. Gina recommended gluing them on as-is if you are using the same color as the fascia, so I think I'll do that. Then I'll paint them later. The brackets are the last completely unstarted element I have for the outside of the house. It feels really good to NOT have little stacks of naked wood all over the house any morel Sweet relief! Boing boing!!

• Like 2

Oops, haven't been following this thread. Blondie, you're making great progress! I never finished my gingerbread trim, so at this point you've surpassed me. :lol:

Debora, how did your shingles turn out? I used water-based stain which contributed to the curling. If you paint first it'll probably exacerbate the problem, but as the paint dries they should theoretically straighten out somewhat. And you could always go in and touch up the color with a small paintbrush once the glue has dried...?

(By the way - the glue I used for the dots was The Ultimate, which dries quickly. If you're having trouble with curling, something like that might be a better choice than Tacky Glue since the shingles could lift in the time it takes for the tacky to dry.)

• Like 2

Thank you for the words of encouragement, everyone!!! :thankyou:

I got everything done on my list last night along with fixing a problem. When I put in the lower left room wallpaper (the green/blue one), the corner of the bay window ended up curved on the right side instead of having a nice, sharp corner to it. I didn't think it would be a problem, but it was when I tried to put the inner window in! The window touched the left side of the wall, but not the right side. From the front, you could see how the window was kind of hanging off or popping off the wall. No good for the very front window!

Instead of freaking out, I thought about how to fix it. I've learned you can fix anything on this forum. :D So I took out my trusty X-acto, took a deep breath, and cut the wallpaper on the right side by the window. I glued it down where it should be and then glued on the window again. IT WORKED! :bounce: You can't even see where the paper was cut because the window frame disguises that whole area. PHEW! I was worried. I was also able to get the front door inner casing on, so now all of the windows/doors are on the inside. One step closer.

:bounce8:

• Like 1

WHOO HOO! I got the gingerbread and corner trim on!!! :bounce8:

I have to take the house to my parents' place tomorrow because Little is showing up on Sunday. I have to get it over there and hidden away!! I still need to finish a short list of things, but I'm really happy with the way it looks. :D

• Like 2

Emily, thanks for the info about the glue! My shingles are still up in the air (no pun intended). I had to chip and scrape the first rows off because of buckling. I scored on some more of the strip shingles on eBay, and they are on their way to me. I may or may not try to use them. I've been cutting out card stock to make my own shingles for the house. It's a lot of cutting! :Xmas: So I'm fussing with trims and slowly making progress :)

• Like 1

I would totally prefer the slow and steady method with this house so I could really soak it in! I hope the new shingles treat you better. Such rude shingles!

Gretchen discovered the gingerbread trim and has been trying to chomp on it all night. Luckily, my father is coming over tomorrow to help me move the house to his house. I'll finish up over there. And I will try SO HARD to get a picture of Little discovering it under the tree. No wrapping -- just a big ole white bow. :)

Little arrives on Sunday, so we're going to hide it in Grandpa's office closet because she isn't supposed to go in that room. Hee hee!

• Like 2

Little arrives on Sunday, so we're going to hide it in Grandpa's office closet because she isn't supposed to go in that room. Hee hee!

As I recall, the first places we looked for presents were the places we weren't supposed to go. :D

• Like 3