Beacon Hill Interior Doors

Fusionera

I have just started my 2nd Beacon Hill (my first was back in the 80s). I am eyeing the door cutouts since I never did get to finish the interior on my original one. The size of the door is slightly smaller than the standard ones I see for sale on miniature sites (6-3/4" x 2-1/4" as opposed to 3-1/16" x 7-1/16") so I am hoping for input on what others have done to make or buy 6-panel doors, etc. for the interior. Thanks for your help!

I make interior doors by tracing the opening onto a sheet of scrap paper and cutting two panels out of 1/8" basswood. If I were going to make a 6-panel door I'd cut out one piece from 1/8" basswood and the frame and panels from 1/16".

• Like 1

Hi Johanna,

I changed all the interior doors in my beacon hill. If you are planning to do so I recommend you cut the walls to the right size to fit the doors before assembly. I did it sort of half and half and had a real struggle with adjusting the walls that were already in place to fit the doors. It is much, much easier to first adjust the walls.......

good luck...

Louise

• Like 1

April - are you recommending resizing the doorways to fit a pre-purchased door before assembling the walls? I am at the perfect stage for doing that if I have to.

Yes :) The thickness might still be a little off, but it's way less work than trying to do it after. Leave the trim off until the end for painting or papering!

• 2 years later...

Ready to add interior doors to my almost-finished Beacon Hill, and am really bummed that there are apparently no ready-made doors that fit!  I have to try to resize the door openings at this late stage?  I don't want to make doors from scratch - I wanted some nice detalied doors...

I also wanted doors in my beacon hill after I already put most of it together.  So, I enlarged my door openings.  Not very pretty because it's really hard to enlarge them due to the tight space between the floor and ceilings.  But, the door trim molding will cover up my uneven cutting.  I did find a couple of doors from Miniature House - Portland OR. on ebay that were "slim".  The sticker on the door said it was from Michaels and the size is 2-5/16"w x 7" tall.  

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261782173767?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2648&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

You need to scroll down the page to see the picture of the door.

Edited by 1martinimomma

I understand, but that's not something I want to do.  It's frustrating that there are so many ready-made doors out there, but that none of them will fit the Beacon Hill.  Why doesn't Greenleaf use standard door widths?  There's plenty of room.

• 1 month later...

That's exactly what I want!  But how do I find one?  Does anyone still make them?

Classics Miniatures makes them and the code for them is CLA 70133. Usually they're on eBay and I hope they continue to show up. I need 4 for my house and I only have 1 so far. They're the perfect size to fit under a 3" wide staircase for a closet. Several stores sell them. Here is a link to one:

http://www.thelittledollhousecompany.com/dollhouses-miniatures-furniture-kits/doors-1/

Just scroll down and you'll see the door listed under Dollhouse Scale Model Narrow.