Are You Sitting Down?

SuzyQ

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use thm all of the time for everything!

and they are wonderful for mixing your own colors! but be careful when doing that.

make plenty and store it in sealed container...you will never get it to match when you need to do touch ups!

nutti :)

Thanks Nutti,

I did remember to do that. I love those mini glad storage containers!!

Well, I have decided I don't like the satin finish stain on the trim. So this evening I have been going through all of it and putting on gloss poly. We are trying to get all the little details finished before we actually glue the house together. Little things pop into my head that I need to have done so I try to write them down as soon as I think of them.

just saw that my name was mentioned...thanks for the kind comments! :) I'm a rank amateur compared to most of the folks here...and must confess that if I'd known just how BIG the Garfield was when I started, I probably wouldn't have tackled it...

I guess, though, that I could be an object lesson for newbies -- If *I* can do it -- rank amateur, unskilled and a little awed by tools...ANYBODY can (well, anybody that has a willing helper..and I don't mean TabbyGrey.. :mellow: )

Took some more pics of the interior today -- and realized what a good eye the camera is! Saw all sorts of little things that need touching up, here and there, places I missed with paint, or needing a touch of varnish. I think I'm going to re-wallpaper one room, too .. not pleased with the paper job, and now that I know what that room is going to be -- it needs a different paper. (My husband says that's just an excuse to go to Hobby Lobby....what do you all think??)

Anyway...was going to work on my Garfield today, too...but got caught up in some other trivial stuff, like bill paying and balancing the checkbook, so it'll have to wait for tomorrow...

Ok I was so excited because I thought I would put the windows in my Garfield this evening. (They are just the plastic sheets that came with it) I happily glued 2 in my tower and then realized that I had forgotten to trim out the inside of the casings with white paint.

Bummer now I will have to go through and paint all of those before I can finish putting in the windows. So much detail work ugh!!!

Took some more pics of the interior today -- and realized what a good eye the camera is! Saw all sorts of little things that need touching up, here and there, places I missed with paint, or needing a touch of varnish.

Isn't that the truth? I often see things in the pictures while I'm posting them to the album that I didn't see on the house itself. It's like a digital proofreader ... :lol:

Ok I was so excited because I thought I would put the windows in my Garfield this evening. (They are just the plastic sheets that came with it) I happily glued 2 in my tower and then realized that I had forgotten to trim out the inside of the casings with white paint.

Bummer now I will have to go through and paint all of those before I can finish putting in the windows. So much detail work ugh!!!

Suzy, this may be a good thing, slowing you down some, that is. You may want to consider NOT assembling/adding the windows at this point. They can be added after the painting/wallpapering is done inside and out. Unlike real glass, the plastic will scratch and get paint smeared, and ... well, after finishing the Orchid, I vowed always to put the windows in last!

Thanks Kathy,

I have the wallpaper and the painting finished. I had just forgotten that little inside part of the window. I was hoping to get the windows in first because I know It will be harder to get my fingers inside to do it after it was assembled. I will surely consider your advice though.

Good point! On the Orchid I'm just finishing up, I glued in the inside window casings after the painting/wallpapering and before the roof went on. Then glued the outside casings with the plastic windows on after it was all closed up.

I always do the windows last.

a lesson learned the hard way.

I also like the looks of my windows installed on the inside of the house.

probably because I usually do the outside first.

a preference thing for sure

I look forward to viewing your progress!

Happy Building

nutti :lol:

You know I think I will follow ya'lls advice about the windows and wait a little longer. Now that I think about it we did have to stick our fingers through them alot when we were trying to dry fit it. That would be a little hard it if already has the windows in.

Thanks For Your Help!!!

PS. I wonder how come the directions never thought of it that way?

• 3 weeks later...

RayAnne and I have been home all day today with icky colds. Sore throat, sneezing, aches.

But one good thing came of it. We have been working on our Garfield today. We laid tile floor, wood floor, and tiled part of the Master Bath wall. I have also done some staining.

It can be so overwhelming thinking about all the little things that have to be done on this large house. But, I think it has been a productive day.

Hi SuzyQ,

Sorry to hear about the colds - hope I didn't give you mine via chat :lol2: but I swear it was an allergy!

Sounds like you guys got a lot done today!! Looking forward to seeing pics of your progress - it sure is an awesome house you're working on :lol:

<hugs>

-David

It can be so overwhelming thinking about all the little things that have to be done on this large house. But, I think it has been a productive day.

I know what you mean, I felt like that also when I was building the Garfield. All of a sudden it just comes together and is done! It still needs some details done because you know you are never really officially done with a house. Yours is coming along very nicely. I'm sure you are having a blast doing this with your daughter.

Yes we are having good time. We get along well working together. Each of us has figured out what the other is good at.

Right now I am having a bit of trouble trying to hide a seam in the wall tile. Seeing a seams drive me nuts!! Why can they not make peices big enough to cover a whole section. Money trap. LOL

RayAnne and I have been home all day today with icky colds. Sore throat, sneezing, aches.

Sorry to hear about your colds, it must be going around the kids had it last week and now Greg and I both have it :lol: , so I know how you feel. At least you got alot done that should make you feel better ;) . Can't wait to see pics ;) .

It like to say me. Don't I look young? LOL But it is actually my daughter. There is a picture of me if you click on my name above my avitar. Don't get to scared of the picture.LOL

Hello again,

Just wanted to pop in and say that I have been working away on our Garfield today. Unfortunalty everytime I think we get to glue up aonther wall we find something that needs to be done first. LoL this time it was this one small piece that was part ceiling and part floor so I am having to poly the one side and texture the other. Ugh will it ever end? LOL

I am almost finished putting the wall tile up in the master bath It is real old fashioned looking with little soldiers on horses. This tile is really nicely made and easy to put up. It comes in pretty small sheets so I have had to piece it together but so far that looks nice too.

I have pictures but need to use the rest of my film. I guess I should think about investing in a digital camera. Maybe by the time it use it up the house will start to look like something.

Thanks Tracy, I think that is why my Garfield is still sitting with only 2 walls glued. I want to make sure it is all thought through good first.

Have you posted pictures of your Lily yet?