Are You Sitting Down?

SuzyQ

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh My Goodness You Guys!!!

Do you have any idea how long it is going to take me to sort through all of this stuff? Just to figure out where we left off!!!!! B) :D

While Rayanne is finishing her chores I have been getting things ready. We have not worked on our Garfield since April so it may take a day just to figure out where to start. :)

Thankfully I did have everything marked and wrapped up in rubberbands and put in baggies. But shame on me for being away from it this long. :blink:

Edit: We are dry fitting it together at the moment. RayAnne is flying!!! She is much better at this than I am. She just automatically knows where everything goes!! I told her in the past she needed to be an architect. Now I am convinced.

Well back to work. I am taking pictures.

no heart attack here

just a lil happy jig!

post-9-1157226309.gif

more eyecandy to feast on!

wooooopeeeeee

you girls GO!

I know how you feel about trying to find your left off spot

I have the lily back on the worktable and looking through the instructions

I hope to make some progress this weekend

I mean lord it is almost done!

looking forward to seeing your photos!

nutti :blink:

Things are moving right along now. We had it dry fitted to figure out rooms and colors and have now taken it back apart. RayAnne is painting away at the living room walls. A nice shade of cranberry. (We have lots of different color paints left from when we built our home so she is using some of that.

Edit:

RayAnne has now painted the dining room walls a real deep navy blue & has a second coat on the living room walls. The wood that came with the master bedroom was already so pretty she just polyed it. She is going to use throw rugs in there. She was saying she wished all the wood was that nice. So much of it is discolored The living room walls are going to be wainscotted so we are waiting for them to dry to start working on that.

Congrats on getting back to it. What a wonderful day you must be having with your daughter!

Are you getting the same horrible weather we have here in NJ? It was very windy this morning and now it has been non-stop rain for many hours. We have several roads that flood with heavy rain and are all flooded now. We even lost power for 2 hours around noon. I tried to leave the house for a bit, but got soaked as my umbrella did me no good with all that wind!

Can't wait to see your pics!!

now what I want to know is why the big tease?

hmmmmmm

you tell us of working on the house and painting being done but yet I saw no photos...not even a hint of one!

soooooo

get on it gal!

nutti :blink:

nuttiwebgal Posted 31 minutes ago

now what I want to know is why the big tease?

hmmmmmm

you tell us of working on the house and painting being done but yet I saw no photos...not even a hint of one!

soooooo

Sorry about that Nutti. I promise you we are wroking on it. I just don't have a digital camera. But I am taking pictures. Just have to wait to use the film up and get it developed. :p:D:p

We didn't work on it yesterday. Had company. We did go to wally world to pick up a few needed items. We are getting ready to start back up in a few minutes. :)

Hello Everyone,

Well today has been a long day with ole Mr "Garfield"

We dry fitted it together again (RayAnne had to have another visual) there were a couple of slots that were to thin to fit the tab in. We tried and tried but finally had to get the dremel out. It all fits like it should now. We have been sanding, painting and such.

A big thank you goes out to

Jamie Marvon

Iak (Irene)

and Uppitycats for the pictures that they have posted. :):p:p

We used those babies all day long to get ideas of what it should look like and where to put things.

If there are any others out there who have pictures posted of their finished Garfield I would love too see them!!!

Hey, Just wanted to let you know that I haven't fallen off of the wagon ;) we are still working on the Garfield like good girls. :p Just about to finish up with the painting. Hoping to wallpaper tomorrow and maybe start to assemble it on Saturday.

Sorry I still don't have any pictures yet. I need to use the rest of my film first.

I hope they turn out ok. Pictures are not very forgiving. :blink:

Have a good evening.

Jamie Marvon

Iak (Irene)

and Uppitycats for the pictures that they have posted. :blink: ;) :p

We used those babies all day long to get ideas of what it should look like and where to put things.

If there are any others out there who have pictures posted of their finished Garfield I would love too see them!!!

Awww. You are so sweet! *blushing* I'm so glad the pictures helped you! I took ALOT of them! It was a suggestion I saw and read when I first started looking into building the Garfield. I'm glad I did it for ME too. It's a beautiful house but it sure was alot of work, and I have all the pics to prove how much I did on it. (and how much I learned!)

I made a scrapbook of sorts. I was printing it out last Saturday and was planning on going to my local DH store to show the owner all my progress and to thank her again for showing me how truly easy lighting was and all the visual tips and tricks advice she gave. Plus it was an excuse to buy more stuff!! But alas, it was a very windy day and we lost power in the middle of printing so I never made it. I'll have to try again this weekend. Its better though. Tomorrow is Pay Day!

Can't wait to see the pics!!!

Jamie Marvon

Iak (Irene)

and Uppitycats for the pictures that they have posted. :D:D:D

Thanks so much for you kind words. I am so honored to know that you are looking at our houses to get ideas. I too was constantly looking for pictures of the Garfield during the building process. It truely is a beautiful house and VERY large when completed. I still just love staring at it especially in the dark with the house lights on. I still have some details to complete in it like curtains and just some small little decorations. I guess you are never really truely done with it. Have fun building it. I'm jealous because when it is done you kind of feel sad....just have to start a new one that's all :p

How nice to see you are starting up again! Maybe it's the promise of fall and winter coming but I am inspired to get back on my Garfield too. Mine has been sitting on the dining room table for 2 years now and hasn't been touched in a year. I have 2 kits in boxes waiting to be started but have refused to open the boxes until I have finished the Garfield. Nice to come back here and see all the Garfied builds! Cheers, Barbara

BarbaraL Posted Today, 11:12 AM

How nice to see you are starting up again! Maybe it's the promise of fall and winter coming but I am inspired to get back on my Garfield too. Mine has been sitting on the dining room table for 2 years now and hasn't been touched in a year. I have 2 kits in boxes waiting to be started but have refused to open the boxes until I have finished the Garfield. Nice to come back here and see all the Garfied builds! Cheers, Barbara

How far you on your Garfield Barbara? Let's work together!! :p

Well I put some wall paper up last night and it is sort of wrinkly. I used wall paper glue. I worked an worked on it. It looks better today but not how I would have liked. RayAnne says it is fine it makes it look old and that is how she wants her house to look (aged).

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I should apply my other paper?

did you put the glue on both the paper and the wall?

that allows you to move the paper a bit before it starts setting up.

scrapbook paper tends to wrinkle more than wallpaper

I like to use a clean washrag or paper towel to rub in a circular motion to get all the wrinkles out

also use a sponge brush to apply...the more even the glue is the better it is for less wrinkles

and Practice! just keep working on it. itll be ok

remember furniture and pictures can cover most any problem area!

nutti :p

Use a credit card, or something, similar to smooth the wallpaper sheet out as you put it on. Gotta get out those pesky air bubbles! Don't just use your hand, its not flat enough! :p Don't run it over the paper to hard. Wet paper can rip easily depending on what kind it is. Also make sure to use a very sharp Xacto knife to make cuts for windows, doors and such.

Good luck. Any where are those pics??? You do not need to use up any more pics on the camera, they only charge you for the ones they print! :D LOL

Thanks for your help everyone!!!

I think I know where the wrinkles came from. I was looking at another piece that we have and it already has creases in it from it being handled so much. I think it sat at the mini store for a long time.The bubbles came out as it dried. I may try to Iron the wrinkles out before I glue it down. Hey you can Iron money why not try wall paper. :p

It is pretty cool paper though. One is a Historic Wallcovering by Birge. Called the Hatfield that came from an Old Colonial home is Scarsdalye NY.

The other is called "Acanthus" by J. Hermes reproduced in cooperation with the Stong Museum in Rochester N.Y.

The other is an asian print called "Tea House" by J Hermes also.

I don't know much about minis. Maybe all the wallpaper made for them is from a historical period.

EDIT:

I just finished the rest of the wallpaper. The iron seemed to get out some of the worst wrinkles(I laid it on the back of a cookie sheet and ironed it). And the credit card was a great idea. That really helped smooth it out. So far it looks good. Thank you once again.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everyone!!!

Well, I am got back to work on The Garfield. (Finally got my house cleaned :) Well sort of :mellow: )

Anyhow, I am painting the master bedroom and tower walls. I have even mixed my own color to match the wallpaper ooooooo :huh: . I bought some small bottles of Acrylic craft paint to do this. I had been using regular latex paint for the rest of the house.

My question is. Has anyone else found that the acrylic paint goes on much smoother? I was surprised!!