Chandelier Ceiling Adapters

madtex1967

Hi Everyone!

I have been busy on my Garfield bash :yes:, and am at the point I will start to lay out all my wiring. I need to go through my light fixtures and decide what I will have for the ceiling fixtures in each room. Since it has been a few years since I have installed chandeliers, I wanted some advice.

Which do you prefer to hang the light fixture/chandelier so it is easily removed in case a bulb needs changing or other repairs. There is the Cir-Kit Ceiling Canopy and the Chrysolite Ceiling Canopy. I have both of them in my supply and want to know which is better to use. I'm not the crazy about the look of the Chrysolite canopy, but if it is easier to install and use in the long run . . . . ;)

ALSO, I have some Chrysolite chandeliers I will be using. Many of you know these are plastic fixtures and I see the electrical wires will cause them to not hang straight. Is there some way to add weight in the hollow body of the chandeliers to stop this from happening? :crazyeyes:

Thanks for any advice and help on this! :clap:

Matt

As I understand it, the adhesive on the ceiling canopies is rather fickle about holding the chandelier, so you will want to check into that to see if you need to add a drop of E6000 or superglue to hold the canopy tight enough to hold the weight of the chandelier. As for adding weight, if they're crystal-look would it work to get some fine gauge beading wire and add a few RL crystals?

As for the hanging of the chandelier, perhaps you could run an additional thin wire (eg fuse wire) down the chain to pull it straight.

This is an idea as long as the wire does not overshadow the chain! Something to look into.

Very interested in responses too...my house will be my first wired and I planned to use this style for ceiling fixtures... as it looked easier to me...

http://www.miniature...ter-P17486.aspx]

I forgot about those adapters! I am interested in how easily those might work as well!

As I understand it, the adhesive on the ceiling canopies is rather fickle about holding the chandelier, so you will want to check into that to see if you need to add a drop of E6000 or superglue to hold the canopy tight enough to hold the weight of the chandelier. As for adding weight, if they're crystal-look would it work to get some fine gauge beading wire and add a few RL crystals?

Definitely going to add some extra glue for the support!

Here is an example of the chandelier I am going to be installing.

I used the Cir-Kit version and was pleased with it. I didn't have any problems with it sticking to the ceiling. In part, it's held up by the electric wires themselves. The Chyrsolite version appears to be made of white plastic and might be paintable to blend with the ceiling color or any medalion you might want to use.

As for the chandelier hanging crooked, I'd first try straightening the chain. I don't think a few crystals would be heavy enough to pull it straight. I'd think more along the lines of stiffening the chain by inserting a thin, stiff piece of material, such as a pin, piano wire, broomstraw, or ?? into it.

@Amanda: I first tried the two-pin chandelier adapter and discovered that gravity will pull the chandelier out of the pins. They really don't grip hard enough to hold it firmly. That's why I switched to the connection that Matt's planning to use. The chandelier needs to be twisted a quarter turn in order to be removed. The two-prong connections are okay for sconces, although in one house I find the sconce heavy enough that it pulls loose and needs to be reseated now and then.

Here's the chandelier in question. I didn't really notice how crooked it hangs until looking at this photo again!

post-818-0-30661700-1320410768_thumb.jpg

I have only used the two prong adapters that Amanda referred to. I haven't had any problems w/the chandelier coming loose on it's own but it does pull out very easily. One of the other ceiling lights does drop out every now and then and this isn't a very heavy light so using the adapter that you have to twist may be the best option. In the Cherrydale I didn't use the adapters, instead I ran the wire up through the ceiling and the connection was on the floor of the room above it. The lights are secure but I found that it was a little bit of a pain not being able to easily remove lights if needed so I'm definitely liking the adapters better. I've not tried the Chrysolite adapters yet but would probably be more inclined to try those if using Chrysolite lamps but that's probably just a little OCD coming out...........things must match after all :giggle:

I have that same Chrysolite chandelier and was wondering the same thing. I was thinking a thin aluminum tube like they sell at the hobby shops, painted to match, with the chain wound around it. Or, some type of wire that is more rigid than the electrical wires inserted through the chain to force it into a straight(er) line.

Very interested in responses too...my house will be my first wired and I planned to use this style for ceiling fixtures... as it looked easier to me...

http://www.miniature...ter-P17486.aspx]

I forgot about those adapters! I am interested in how easily those might work as well!

I have used these a few times now... the only one I have problems with is my very heavy Tudor style chandelier in my Glencroft... they work great on lighter chandeliers, and they are easy to use.

wow good thread!!! i never even knew these adapters exsisted!!! :) I only have one of my Beacon Hill's electrified...due to cost.... but i havent had any problems with the lights...*touches wood....and i have them on most nights as i use the house as a huge 'Lamp' :lol:

I'll be interested to follow this too :D

All I use are the two prong adapters for my houses. They don't stay plugged in on their own, so I add just a spot or two of epoxy to hold them in place. If I need to remove the fixture to change bulbs, I just give it a little wiggle and it usually pops right off without damaging the ceiling or adapter.