Using Scrapbook Paper on the Walls

Rowan555

I searched and didn't find the answer, so sorry if this has been explained and I missed it!

I got some gorgeous scrapbook paper at Michael's yesterday and I would like to know the best way to apply it to the walls of my dollhouse. Any and all tips will be much appreciated. Also, my daughter just bought some fabric and wants to put it on the walls of her future dollhouse - so any tips on successfully getting fabric to stay on the walls would also be appreciated.

Thanks!~

Susan

I Know this probably isn't the best way, but I just use my elmers wood glue and stick it on the walls and it seems to hold just fine. *shrug*

I'm sure there are better options out there, but my first house I used it and it's not peeling or cracked or bubbled or anything. Just don't use a ton and it won't squish out the sides lol

Not to sure about the fabric on the walls though. I glued some on for carpet before and it was okay........I Prefer the sticky back felt stuff, now that works great!!

Good luck!!

Several members have used scrapbook paper with good results. I used it with tacky glue. Then use a credit card to help smooth it and get any bubbles out. I also used YES glue.

I use spray glue or a xyron to apply adheasive to the paper. Then I stick it to the walls. Draw back is both are very sticky and if its not right the first time the paper is hard to reposition. I tried spreading the regular glue, but I don't think that method is for me. At the top of the General Mini talk folder there is a pinned tutorial thread that I think has wallpaper methods.

I like using scrapbook paper for walls if you can find any that isnt WILD

I use mod-podge on both the wall and the paper....using a sponge brush to get in even but not thick

by putting it on both surfaces you can move it around once you have it in to make sure it is where you want it.

scrap book paper does tend to wrinkle and bubble more than regular paper but with a little patients and smoothing it really does look nice.

looking forward to viewing your walls!

nutti :)

I've used the modge podge method for applying scrapbook paper, too. Works fine. I've also found that thinning regular white glue with water and spreading on both the wall and the paper works OK too.

Fabric is a little trickier. Rather than putting it directly on the wall of the house you might find that creating a false wall works better for fabric covering. That is, cut a piece of heavy card the same size/shape as the wall, cover it with fabric then place it up against the house wall. Repositional spray glue will hold the false wall in place.

My entire Garfield is papered with scrapbook paper. I started using a wallpaper paste..but found that regular white glue, thinned a bit with water, works fine. I used the credit-card as smoothing tool method, too, and had only a bit of trouble, due more to my ineptness than the method itself! :)

I papered it over two years ago, and it seems to be holding up fine. The house sits in a very sunny location, so I'd think if the heat affected it at all, I'd see some damage by now...

All I use is scrapbook paper a.k.a. Memory paper. I use Mother Stove`s paste. You can find it in dh catalogs, online, but I found mine at a craft store in the glue section. It is very thick but it gives you the chance to move and postion your paper several times. It has a strong hold and none of the paper I have put up so far (knock on wood) has peeled off.

All I use is scrapbook paper a.k.a. Memory paper. I use Mother Stove`s paste. You can find it in dh catalogs, online, but I found mine at a craft store in the glue section. It is very thick but it gives you the chance to move and postion your paper several times. It has a strong hold and none of the paper I have put up so far (knock on wood) has peeled off.

I have seen so many dollhouse type patterns on the scrapbooking paper. This sounds like it would be a great alternative to the more expensive wallpaper which I must purchase sight unseen from online vendors. Do you have to put any sealers on the paper after you put it in?

I've used scrapbook paper for wallpaper on all my houses and I think it works really well. It's cheap too!! I mix some white elmer's glue with a little bit of water so that it's a little runny and use a paint brush to apply the glue to the back of the paper, making sure to get the edges (laying it face down on a peice of wood works well). Then I lay the paper on the wall starting at the top and just smooth it out with something flat, like a book. I've never tried fabric, but I'm sure there's a way! Good luck!

I have used scrapbook paper in my houses as well, if I can find a design that works well. Since I am into more contemparary rather than Victorian, I can find more choice in scrapbook papers. I used wallpaper mucilage, like Mother Stove's, after I have sealed it with an Acrylic Sealer/Finisher.

I like the fabric idea for the walls too.

Thanks for all the great advice! Michaels had some amazing paper on sale for 25 cents a sheet, but I didn't know the dimensions of any of my walls or even what decor I was going for, so I just grabbed a few sheets to experiment with. I also like the idea of doing the false wall with the fabric - the fabric she chose is no ordinary fabric - it's going to be a monster to try to use for wallpaper - but if it works it's going to look GREAT.

You can use liquid starch, thinned down for the fabric. Soak the fabric and smooth it down with a credit card. I turned a cupboard into a doll house for my daughter and wanted to turn it back when she outgrew it. Interior decorators have used this trick for years when you want to be able to remove it without damaging walls. Ever been a Renter?

I have seen fabric put on real house walls and it looks wonderful. I can't wait to see how yours turn out. It sounds like a Fantastic idea for sure. Are you going to use some watered down glue over the fabric too?

It seems like they said that fabric sicks to the walls better when you put glue on the walls then the fabric use a stiff stright object to smooth it out then spray the thin glue on the fabric :lol: this was for a real house though

• 1 month later...

Hi Susan

I'm new to this but also discovered scrapbook paper at Michael's. I bought a bottle of wallpaper border glue at Lowe's -- comes in a plastic bottle and even has a sponge roller attached. It has worked wonderfully.

Mike

Like Nutti, I have never sealed any of my scrapbook paper before glueing. I think that they are designed to be archival and not fade, so sealing really shouldn't be needed. That makes them just perfect for wallpaper. :cloud9: The only time I've heard of people sealing wallpaper is when it has been printed off the computer.

I've used scrapbook paper too with success. I use Mod Podge to attach it to the wall. I apply it to the wall and then to the paper . . . that way I have a little play when I'm actually attaching the paper.

The only time I'd "seal" the paper is if I printed it off the printer. I think you'd want to 'set' the dye somehow.

Fabric on the wall sounds neat! Be sure to let us know how it turns out!

i use scrapbook paper ALL The time to wallpaper!! infact thats what i use 99.9% of the time!! Well i started out using spray on, and that didnt hold very well for me, espeically on the thicker paper. So i started using elmers speed drying glue, which works VERY well. then i usally use a bit of hot glue to seal the edges on nicely. I have found that spray glue DOES work very well on fabric. I have used fabric on walls before and spray glue was the "cleanest" and the glue that held on the best!

hope this helps, please feel free to contact me if you have any questions :cloud9:

-Jenny

You can use liquid starch, thinned down for the fabric. Soak the fabric and smooth it down with a credit card. I turned a cupboard into a doll house for my daughter and wanted to turn it back when she outgrew it. Interior decorators have used this trick for years when you want to be able to remove it without damaging walls. Ever been a Renter?

i was just about to suggest this. the starch method works incrediably well and has the great advantage of being removable if you ever choose to change décor.