HOFCO #192 Victorian Farmhouse - Anyone done this?

Minsanity

I found this house on Craislist (why am i looking!!??) with what appeared to be a large number of furniture pieces for $100. I was disappointed that someone beat me too it until my husband came home that night needing help with something heavy in the car..... Guess what it was? He contacted the seller and convinced her to sell it to him to surprise me. I'm keeping that boy! The house is very big & heavy - fully assembled, wired with switches, and has at least 10 working fixtures but none of the decorating or flooring done. The fact that the house also came with a complete set of beautful high end furniture, accessories, and carpets - in perfect condition - made it like Christmas! It took me 2 hours to open all the packages.

Has anyone worked with one of these houses? I read some of the Real Good Toy houses may have been modeled after HOFCO houses. It does look a lot like their large farm house with the wrap around porch but it does not have a second story balcony.

Also, what do you all think about siding it now? I am putting the siding under the trim on my beacon hill. Seems like it might be hard to get siding the siding to look right on this, but I'm fairly new to this. House also came with 3,000 peices of prestained shingles for the roof and all the pieces that are not on the house yet - oh AND EVEN INSTRUCTIONS :-)

post-10427-0-94424800-1317222995_thumb.j

post-10427-0-66123200-1317223038_thumb.j

Edited by CindyGregory

• 4 months later...

You have a Hofco 194. I'm working on one right now...first house. I've just cut all my siding to butt up against the trim too...the directions say to put the trim on first, not mentioning anything about siding. They do, however, say to put siding on the from before doing the porch.

Yes, it was a GREAT deal! It was pretty pricey even back in the 80's!

• 9 months later...

Hi Cynthia,

I am wondering if you have any photos of your finished dollhouse. I just recently bought an unfinished dollhouse identical to yours and am looking into what I need to do to finish the outside. I have never assembled/built a dollhouse before so any advice would help!

Thanks

Erin

HI!

Thank you for the responses!! I thought for sure I was testing my luck on getting a response from a blog posted over a year ago! I can't seem to find any information on this dollhouse other than this in particular...So, I signed up and here I am! Thank you so much for sending me your link to view the instructions! I bought the house already assembled, minus the siding, doors, windows, etc., and am not so sure what I got myself into! I was originally looking into purchasing a toy dollhouse as a christmas gift for my daughter but wasn't too excited about the quality, price, and size of anything that is currently available...which lead me on my search for an alternate dollhouse. I found some pretty neat wooden dollhouses on the internet and knew that I just had to get one for her... (and me!) I ended up finding the one I purchased on Craigslist. I am now trying to gather my thoughts on what I want to do to it and how I would like it to look! I look forward to hearing about how your house is coming along! Thank you for the warm welcomes!

Erin

...I am now trying to gather my thoughts on what I want to do to it and how I would like it to look!...
Strip it on down and let it tell what it wants. When you think about it, do introduce yourself to the gang at the Newcomers' Forum.

Thanks CJ, he is pretty sweet!

Erin, I'm happy to share pictures. I cant find my good camera at the moment but took some pictures with my phone that i will try to post this evening.

I found someone local that has a lot of hofco supplies if you need some i can put you in touch. His father bought out a local store some time ago. I was able to get some siding and some trim

• 10 months later...

I have the Hofco Americana house and the one thing I found out is, it's a combination of 3/8", 1/4", and 1/2" wood, making it very difficult to find doors to match. But I am persevering. My house was also put together and for a remodel, that was not good news because I had to destroy so much to do so little. On the other hand, the house as it was was incredibly sturdy and well made. My house, which I consider a country Victorian Farmhouse (if and when I ever get it done), was assembled with all the trim on it. I tried my darndest to save that trim, but ultimately, I took it all off and tossed it, mostly because it ended up coming off the house in splinters. If it's any consolation, I plan on putting the trim back on and then applying the siding to butt up against the trim. That's supposed to be harder, but I never did the smart or easy thing in my life, so what the hey. One of the things I am going to do though, is put 1/8" wood over those walls that take windows so all the windows are on walls the same thickness. There's only a few walls like that, as most of the others have needed replacement or been replaced already.

Keep posting pictures! I'd love to see how you're doing and we can commiserate on the siding!

I like the Hofco siding a lot. I've bought several packages from a seller on eBay and have been really happy with it. That seller is gone now, sadly, but I see it listed from time to time.

I have the Hofco Americana house and the one thing I found out is, it's a combination of 3/8", 1/4", and 1/2" wood, making it very difficult to find doors to match. But I am persevering. My house was also put together and for a remodel, that was not good news because I had to destroy so much to do so little. On the other hand, the house as it was was incredibly sturdy and well made. My house, which I consider a country Victorian Farmhouse (if and when I ever get it done), was assembled with all the trim on it. I tried my darndest to save that trim, but ultimately, I took it all off and tossed it, mostly because it ended up coming off the house in splinters. If it's any consolation, I plan on putting the trim back on and then applying the siding to butt up against the trim. That's supposed to be harder, but I never did the smart or easy thing in my life, so what the hey. One of the things I am going to do though, is put 1/8" wood over those walls that take windows so all the windows are on walls the same thickness. There's only a few walls like that, as most of the others have needed replacement or been replaced already.

Keep posting pictures! I'd love to see how you're doing and we can commiserate on the siding!

So you have this house (Victorian Farmhouse) and the Americana? They are beautiful houses aren't they. I'm a bit concerned about removing the windows from my Americana. This farmhouse the windows came out easily. I was lucky that they put only the trim, stairs, windows, & doors on with hot glue. The rest is glued and nailed. The builder did a wonderful job. None of the pieces were damaged when I took them off which was awesome. It is good to know about the wood thickness. I'll keep that in mind as I work on them. I don't think I will be as fortunate with the Americana as those windows and trim seem to be on fairly tight.

I like the Hofco siding a lot. I've bought several packages from a seller on eBay and have been really happy with it. That seller is gone now, sadly, but I see it listed from time to time.

I wonder if it is the person I spoke with - did he live in Maryland by chance? He was a very nice man. He was selling off his fathers collection. His dad actually purchased the stock of the Howlett family (that might not be exactly correct) - the family that created the Hofco Houses.

I wonder if it is the person I spoke with - did he live in Maryland by chance? He was a very nice man. He was selling off his fathers collection. His dad actually purchased the stock of the Howlett family (that might not be exactly correct) - the family that created the Hofco Houses.