HOFCO #192 Victorian Farmhouse - Anyone done this?

Minsanity

I wonder if it is the person I spoke with - did he live in Maryland by chance? He was a very nice man. He was selling off his fathers collection. His dad actually purchased the stock of the Howlett family (that might not be exactly correct) - the family that created the Hofco Houses.

No, my seller was in Oregon and has no more product right now. :(

So you have this house (Victorian Farmhouse) and the Americana? They are beautiful houses aren't they. I'm a bit concerned about removing the windows from my Americana. This farmhouse the windows came out easily. I was lucky that they put only the trim, stairs, windows, & doors on with hot glue. The rest is glued and nailed. The builder did a wonderful job. None of the pieces were damaged when I took them off which was awesome. It is good to know about the wood thickness. I'll keep that in mind as I work on them. I don't think I will be as fortunate with the Americana as those windows and trim seem to be on fairly tight.

No, I only have the Americana house. I am turning it into what could be called a Victorian farmhouse. I want a plain, simple, white farmhouse with just enough trim to make it a Victorian farmhouse without having to go the whole hog with super fancy trim and umpteen colors. I just finished raising the gable on the front and adding "wings"? on the back of the roof to make a higher "wall" there. And guess what stupid thing I did? I was going to switch the staircase around and started flipping off top steps. And lost one. Now I have to make a whole new step for one of the staircases. I can't believe I did this. Those stairs are so beautiful.

My windows came out without too much fuss except that some of them broke into pieces. There were a couple I can't salvage, but I have most of the others if you need some spares. I am replacing all my windows with a set of Miniature Lumber Shoppe windows I got several years ago, already painted if you can believe it! YAY! I hate painting windows. I did, of all things, break up the French door when I took it out and, naturally, lost two of the pieces. Probably mixed them up with something else and tossed them. But I can make new ones. I am going to start a blog of the house, I think, and then I'll finally get some pictures up. I'd love to see how your house looks too.

• 10 years later...
On 2/15/2012 at 11:09 AM, debncurt said:

You have a Hofco 194. I'm working on one right now...first house. I've just cut all my siding to butt up against the trim too...the directions say to put the trim on first, not mentioning anything about siding. They do, however, say to put siding on the from before doing the porch.

Yes, it was a GREAT deal! It was pretty pricey even back in the 80's!

Wow! I bought a #194 kit back in 1987 for $250. The extra wiring, wall,paper, carpets, trim, shingles, etc brought the outlay up to over $500.