What is it about RGT?

I was attracted to GL because of their affordable prices along with the beautiful details and trim that come with each kit. I now have 2 GL kits and I haven't even started building! :idea:

I ran into RGT houses while looking around and oh my.... I don't think I would ever be able to afford those prices!!!! I am curious what RGT does to their houses to make them cost $895. I know the wood is thicker, but is there something else? They are beautiful, but...so pricey! :p

I am not defending the prices because I don't entirely see it either, but:

Well, as one who has bought quality 3/8" plywood for scratch building, it is considerably more expensive than 1/8" plywood.

These houses are very expensive to ship due to the heavy wood and I know that Earth & Tree ship their houses "for free" and perhaps RGT also?

Also, the components supplied are of heavier quality and you don't have to put some of the components together, windows and doors, for example.

The dollhouse pieces do not have to be pressed out of sheets. The wood is usually "ready to go".

And then there is the cost and maintenance of the equipment needed to manufacture the 3/8 inch plywood dollhouse and its components.

Personally, I love RGT houses, but have not bought many -- since I am always bashing anyway -- why spend all that money for the house and then all the extra plywood-- might as well start from scratch!

I also love Greenleaf (and my Dura-craft Ashley), and would not consider a collection without them.

Once a year, HBS has a 40% off sale and maybe you could buy a RGT then? If not, Greenleaf has a lot to offer -- could have anyone busy for a lifetime! -- especially if you bash a bit!

Sorry to be so long-winded!

:idea:

Not picking a team either, while I do agree that the sticker price is really high :p , however, you can get many of their kits at better prices from retailers & internet coupons :doh: ...Google search...I don't think I would buy direct from RGT unless I was a wealthier person... ;) (like the Newport, which is at ACMoore and with a 40% coupon brings it to $215ish, which really isn't that bad...)

I think that some of their costs are justified knowing that you are getting cabinet grade plywood, milled in siding, shingles, staircases, etc. and mostly all Houseworks (or compatible) components that you don't usually have to put together...

The houses at E&T are just as nice, but cost the same, without components...then, when you consider that the components are going to run you another $100 or more...the prices at RGT don't seem so bad... :victory:

I do like the GL houses, but when you add in the time I spend sanding them...I'd rather spend a little more to not have to do this!!! :idea:

Ooooohhhhhhhh, coupons! Didn't think about getting 40% off. I don't plan on purchasing one in the near future, but I do have my eyes on a couple. I just feel like fainting when I look at the price and I think my husband might send me out to live in it if I bought one! LOL :idea:

I can see where I might be able to swallow it after I graduate from college (being a student with 3 kids is... um... interesting) and use a coupon.

Thanks guys... I feel better! :p

Edited by jrwils0972

There's only one RGT kit that has ever called my name (but that's the extent of our conversation) and I have never seen it in any of the big box craft stores. DH found me floor plans for a RL house that the Thornhill reminds me of, and if I get good enough and live long enough I might scratch-build that one, probably in 1:24.

It is the builder that makes the house beautiful no matter what house. I personally love the RGT kits, although it is probably my comfort level. However I have never purchased one at retail price. There are many options to purchase ones at a discount. Janet

I never dreamed it would be so expensive to "build" a dollhouse. I know RGT was expensive but if you think of all the components you have to buy for other houses to complete or even upgrade, the cost would shock you. I've been keeping a spreadsheet on what I spend and I was astounded at what I've spent.

• Like 1

Well, I am new here and the reason I joined was Greenleaf houses and what people here on the forum do with them. Gotta love these people for their creative sides. RGT are heavy houses, even the small ones are heavy, (especially if you get the MDF, which I hate) I know, I have built over the years (been into miniatures over 20 years) for charities, 2 of Victoria's Farmhouses, 3 Victorian Cottages, several Vermont Farmhouses and several of their cheaper line of houses. RGT houses are expensive and if you buy a Greenleaf, update the doors and windows, if you want, which I usually do, you will have a very nice house that you can lift and move and store. Just my opinion.

I love working with the beautiful smooth RGT wood (I don't do MDF) and the milled sidings. All my RGT houses have been purchased with 40% and 50% off coupons. I see RGT houses on ebay at full retail price and wonder why anyone would pay that. I have 3 mini shops within 2 hours of me and all the RGT houses they have in stock are always full retail price never on sale. I try to do as much business as I can with those minis shops but please have a sale once in awhile.

Valerie

If you have a Hobby Lobby you can use the 40% coupon on houses. Their prices aren't bad even without the coupon. Compared to retail prices at the mini stores or even HBS. I have all kinds of brands here and love them all. lol But then like everyone else I AM AN MINI ADDICT!

I try to do as much business as I can with those minis shops but please have a sale once in awhile.

Valerie

HERE HERE!!!

If local brick and mortar stores want us to follow the rule of 3/50...

GIVE US AN INCENTIVE...put SOMETHING on sale... ANYTHING!!!

Send out a coupon...SOMETHING!!!

I used to work for a big-name clothing supplier...I KNOW what these stores are buying things for...& I know what customers are buying things for... talk about sticker shock...

We could make a garment for less than $10, sell it to a retailer for $20, and they sell it to the customer for $50!

• Like 1

What is the rule of 3/50?

The rule of 3/50 is to

shop at 3 of your local brick & mortar stores, & spend $50 of your monthly budget in these stores...

The notion is that fo every $100 spent in your local businesses, $68 dollars goes back into your community...

I admit, this is nearly impossible for me, (I live in a super small town with virtually no stores, & the stores that do exist are RIDICULOUSLY over priced!!!), but it's a great concept... :idea:

http://www.the350project.net/locals_love_you_more_home.html

I bought my Woodstock about 18 years ago with 20% off from a dollhouse store.

I remember asking the store owner the brands of dollhouses that were of very good quality, and she mentioned Real Good Toys. I then added extra thingies to the house which really added up.

That being said, and remembering that the Woodstock is a very large house, I have spent a lot of money on this one house.

Would I do it again? You betcha! :idea:

• 2 weeks later...

I took the route of just checking e-bay daily and was able to buy a previously owned (but never put together) RGT Simplicity dollhouse kit and later an addition for it for about 1/2 of the listed price for the new kits. It took me eight months though and I still haven't found the finishing kit for the addition. I agree that the 40% off at HBS is a real money saver, have used that myself a few times.

• 9 months later...

I purchased RGT "Thornhill" from HBS in 2008, along with the 'component' kit. I wanted a house that could be completely closed up when not being 'viewed', and was particularly adamant that my house had working windows. So the Thornhill fulfilled those requirements. I have been unable to even open the boxes until this past month--yes 3 years later. I was astounded at what passes as 'instructions' with RGT. The sheets that were in the box with the plywood parts were xeroxed copies of instructions with photos. The xeroxed copies obviously had been copied many times, and the 'pictures' were nothing but blobs of black and white. It was impossible to determine what the photos were attempting to portray. Also, parts of the instructions were 'numbered' but the numbering had very little to do with anything else pertaining to the instructions. I contacted RGT and they 'e-mailed' me a PDF file of the original instructions where at least the photos appeared a little more legible. However, I was appalled that after paying nearly $1300 for the house and the component set that the instructions were not much better than something done by a 6th grader. Had I not been a veteran doll house builder, I would have been stymied as to what they were actually saying to do in the instructions and the proper order. I am in the process of construction now (you can follow it at my blog: http://dottyeb.blogspot.com Right now it is in it's beginning stages, so it is not too exciting. I have constructed numerous dollhouse over my 71 years, and the Thornhill was supposed to be my 'last' one to house all of my miniatures I have collected over the years. I will be happy to finally get the 'grunt work' done and have it to the point where it becomes obvious when one can see the progress. Anyhow, I would think twice again before plunking out the money RGT wants for their houses unless I was able to see their 'construction manual' prior to purchasing the kit. Just a word to the wise. It does not appear to me that RGT houses are meant for the novice. I have seen and built $29.00 houses with much better instructions and diagrams.

I have the Montclair with both additions in wood which I have been working on slowly for the past six years. I fell in love with it and got it through a discount dealer no longer in business. It went together easily and I am pleased with it. I have three GL houses, one completed, one in the box and one under construction. They certainly lend themselves to creating unique results. I just wish they didn't need so much pre prepping and sanding.

Dottye, sorry to hear about your frustrations with the Thornhill instructions. I have under construction, shells completely built, the Foxhall Manor with 2 two-story additions and one conservatory addition and the Queen Anne with my own custom addition. I am happy to say I had no problems whatsoever with the included instructions with either of these kits - and these are my first dollhouse builds. Good luck with your build from this point on.

Valerie

• 8 months later...

Valerie, where do you find 50% off coupons on RGT dollhouses? I only know of the one time 40% coupon on Hobby Lobby website. I just finished my first build and did not know about the coupon, although I did not pay half the retail price. I will use it on some furniture if it is not very expensive.

I built the Victoria's Farmhouse and I just LOVE it. The quality is fabulous and everything is straight and aligned. The instructions both online, and the manual were explicit, orderly, and user friendly. On the RGT website, there is a complete section of construction tutorials exclusively for the Victoria's Farmhouse. It certainly helped me a great deal - especially the wiring and installantion of ceiling lights, sconces, and porch lights.

However, my ultimate dream houses are the North Park Mansion, and the Bostonian. That will be in the distant future, though.

• 1 month later...

My husband bought me a large RGT dollhouse....the 7200 series shell for my birthday a year ago. This shell is used for the Woodstock, Hawthorne and a few others. I am adding a Mansard addition on one side and a two story addition on the other side. It is milled plywood. I have the main house put together which is quite large and it isn't heavy at all. The quality and thickness of the wood is very nice. I have ordered working Victorian windows for it. It will take me a long time to finish and furnish it. That said, I like Greenleaf too for their designs and with the different exterior applications that you can do. I am looking forward to trying stone and brick exteriors on the GL houses. I think it all depends on what type of house you want as both are nice in different ways. I don't like MDF though. Definately use coupons!

Valerie, where do you find 50% off coupons on RGT dollhouses? I only know of the one time 40% coupon on Hobby Lobby website. I just finished my first build and did not know about the coupon, although I did not pay half the retail price. I will use it on some furniture if it is not very expensive.

I built the Victoria's Farmhouse and I just LOVE it. The quality is fabulous and everything is straight and aligned. The instructions both online, and the manual were explicit, orderly, and user friendly. On the RGT website, there is a complete section of construction tutorials exclusively for the Victoria's Farmhouse. It certainly helped me a great deal - especially the wiring and installantion of ceiling lights, sconces, and porch lights.

However, my ultimate dream houses are the North Park Mansion, and the Bostonian. That will be in the distant future, though.

I used the 40% off Hobby Lobby coupons for my Victoria's Farmhouse (which I loved for the same reasons you mentioned) and for RGT Painted Lady. The two you mention you might be able to find at miniatures.com. and wait till the 40% off sale I think in April. I have not seen any coupons specific to RGT.

The coupon I mentioned is for Hobby Builders Supply (HBS) (miniatures.com). Around every April 1st they offer a 40% off any one item sale for one day only. It use to be 50% off but a couple of years ago it was changed to 40%. If you are on their email list they will send an email with a code to use in order to get the 40% off that day.

Valerie

Back when HBS used to offer a one day 50% off one item, I bought a Thornhill with the components - can't beat a deal like that! It sat in the box for a few years and finally I finished the previous house and felt I could take it on. Funny...I look at my photo chronicles and that was June 2007 - what the heck happened? I guess I've been working on it off and on.

I love the quality of this kit - though I wish I'd been less anxious to get it built and more focused on getting it all trued up and squared.