Is It Just Me???

bmatson

Ooooo I'm just watching a movie now on Netflix called "Dolly Dearest" about this possessed doll AND I just got Bride of Chucky on DVD in the mail.

Does anyone remember there was a Tales from the Darkside episode starring Craig Wasson as the dad, it was about this mysterious dollhouse that his daughter had, and they ended up as the family inside the dollhouse. The dolls were REALLY creepy!! What a great episode!!

Oh, I have always loved Kewpie. She is my favorite doll of all time.

...the calico critter/sylvanian family animals are about 3-3.5 inches high. So they're a bit short for 12th scale, but look cute anyway I think...
KathieB built the Houseboat kit as a 1:24 scale structure for a Calico Critters frog family.

...there was a Tales from the Darkside episode starring Craig Wasson as the dad, it was about this mysterious dollhouse that his daughter had, and they ended up as the family inside the dollhouse. The dolls were REALLY creepy!! What a great episode!!

Oh, I have always loved Kewpie. She is my favorite doll of all time.

Fredric Brown, the pulp fiction detective writer, also wrote sci-fi stories with a wierd twist, and my all-time favortie of his was called "the Geezenstacks". The daddy bought a dollhouse family from a strange old woman for his daughter to use in her dollhouse and she named them Geezenstacks. Dad started noticing that things the daughter made up for the dolls actually happened to the RL family, and he finally got scared and threw away the dolls and the next thing they knew they were in the back of a vehicle being driven away by the strange old woman.

One of our best friends at UF was Pat O'Neill, whose great-aunt Rose O'Neill created the Kewpie.

KathieB built the Houseboat kit as a 1:24 scale structure for a Calico Critters frog family.

The Bullrush family is a tad large for 1:24, but I posed them away from furniture (except for the baby, who is standing up in the crib and so appears to be a toddler rather than an infant), so it really doesn't upset the "realism" ... it's sort of like the exaggeration used in cartoons that enhances the effects. Lots of folks don't notice that cartoon characters have only three fingers and a thumb.

I LOVE dolls!! I even have a porcelain doll the size of a small child my parents got me as a thank you for house sitting when they went to Germany many yeas ago. I was amazed she survived the whole trip considering she was in a suitcase. Poor thing my mom felt sorry for her cause she had been in a shop window so long the front of her dress had begun to fade.

There are some amazing mini dolls out there people create and one day I will be lucky to have one reside in my shops, but alas the shops are not quite ready for him or her or the right doll has not decided to present themselves. :blink:

But in all fairness my dolls stay in my craft room and not in general house, my dh finds them to be a little creepy.

I love dolls too but my DH must have spent too many hours watching doll related horror stories because my dolls creeped him out so much that I packed them away until I have granddaughters. Except for my three foot tall "toddler doll" named Alice who sits in my workshop down stairs and watches me work on my dollhouses! She's not going anywhere!

By the way - my fifth grandchild is on his way - and he's the fifth boy! So those dolls may have to wait another generation to be unpacked!!

The Elliot bride and groom pair are stuffed, but are about 3.5-4 inches high, the calico critter/sylvanian family animals are about 3-3.5 inches high. So they're a bit short for 12th scale, but look cute anyway I think. The Elliots wedding reception scene is the one where the furniture is all a little shorter for them.

I didn't even know these existed! Okay, I need to go look for some Calico Critters. I'm wondering if they're sold in stores? Or do you have to order 'em online? I'm thinking they might go wonderfully in a room box or two...

they make calico critters and you can get them at toys r us. theres probably a lot more variety if you order online though. i was doing some work at the distribution center for calico critters back in december and the conference room was filled with them. I couldnt stop playing!.... :blink:

Hey Muriel, not wanting to hijack this post but wanted to say that I hope everything goes well and you have an easy delivery, it can't be that long now.

Sorry I did hijack the post.

The Critters might work better with 1:16 or 1:18 scale... I remember the Sylvanians had all sorts of furniture & accessories, but if there were houses scaled for them our store never got any.

This brings up another thought that might also serve to bring us back on topic: How mini people who are creeped out by human-appearing dolls could go with the animal dolls such as the Calico Critters or Wolfie's cat dolls?

Well, since the post is hijacked... B)

What sizes are the Calico Critters? Muriel, you said they're about three-and-a-half inches high? That's the adults? How about the kids? And what size are the twins?

The parent Elephants are 3 1/4 inches high, kids are 2 1/2 inches high and the babies are 1 3/8 inches high - they are crawling or sitting.

The Critters might work better with 1:16 or 1:18 scale... I remember the Sylvanians had all sorts of furniture & accessories, but if there were houses scaled for them our store never got any.

They do make houses and vehicles too. They're made out of plastic, which I personally don't like playing with, so they're living in slightly out of scale wood houses in my house :wave:

The parent Elephants are 3 1/4 inches high, kids are 2 1/2 inches high and the babies are 1 3/8 inches high - they are crawling or sitting.

They do make houses and vehicles too. They're made out of plastic, which I personally don't like playing with, so they're living in slightly out of scale wood houses in my house :wave:

I think a slightly out-of-scale critter would look fine in the occasional house or room box. Well, for my purposes, anyway. I sent away for two sets of twins--a pair and a spare--which I hope to use in Mommycat's house. She needs three kittens. They're going to be in cradles, I think, or maybe one large cradle, three little kittens. I am thinking mittens made of felt will be drying on a line downstairs by the fireplace. Tiny mittens, mind you.

Then I'll have a spare baby to use somewhere else.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know as though I'm really creeped out by dolls, but I don't like it when there's a beautifully decorated dollhouse/roombox and then a very bad doll in it. It's like when you're just getting into the action in a movie, and then they dial a 555 number and you're jolted back to reality that it's just a movie.

Wait, I am creeped out by dolls with the eyes that open and close (not dollhouse dolls, "real size" dolls) When I was little my mom tried to get me to play with the one she had as a child, but the eyes would stick and then let go randomly and it freaked me out. And my husband has a ~2.5 ft tall stand-in-the-corner doll that creeps me out too.

Anyway I'm rehabbing my childhood dollhouse and two of my old dollhouse dolls have shattered heads so I am thinking my dollhouse will have nobody home. Except then I think it's weird to be peering into a house when the homeowners are away too! I might be overthinking this...

The dolls with the opening eyes don't scare me. my grandma has one like that but the eyes move left and right not open and shut.... That one creeps me out!