I re-upholstered some furniture

JaimieMarvon

Along with all the other things I am working on I just couldn't resist re-upholstering a living room set I had . So I started on that the other day. The floral is the original and the blue is my new fabric.

post-592-1154111716_thumb.jpg

I haven't finished the arms on the couch because I think I am going to try to make different ones. I don't have a pic of what the couch looked like before the renovation, but it was similar to the chair since it is a set.

I'm thinking when do the second chair I will make a differernt back (not quite as high) and arms as well to match the new ones I will make for the couch. I don't like how the "seams" turned out on the sides. But I was quite happy with how it looked before I put on the sides.

All-in-all it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be to do, although I did "stab" my right thumb pretty good with the Xacto knife. LOL (healing nicely!) I figure if I can do this I can probably make some furniutre... not exctly from scratch, I'm not that talented! That is David's department! He is soooo amazing! I want to commission him to make a piece for me!

Jaimie -

Your newly re-upholstered furniture looks great. You've done a terrific job.

BTW, what are HOM kits? I've heard them mentioned before, but aren't familiar with the name.

-Susanne

[/quot

These are House of Miniature kits. There is a full line of furniture that I believe was available as a kit of the month club in the 80's and some available in stores. They are really easy to put together and nice quality. I used the techniques I learned on the little furniture to refinish a full size piece. I got a lot of the kits for various prices from e-bay.

I have yet to get a kit for upholstered furniture that I liked the fabric in the kit; it's why I started buying ties in the thrift shops, I used up DH's oldest pretty ties upholstering a Reallife Victorian Parlor set.

In addition to the Aubusson rug I'm stitching in 1:24 I "borrowed" Valerie's (from Sweden) idea and I'm stitching matching seats for the dining chairs I got.

You did a good job, Heidi, the seams look fine.

Y'all know, the kit furniture is a very good way to dip your toes in the water of building your own furniture. When you can make die-cut furniture look good, making your own isn't that difficult. The mini magazines (especially some of the English ones) often have easy-peasy patterns & instructions for making furniture.

OOOOHHHH Jaimie, nice job. You have inspired me to redo some of the chairs I won on e-bay which are somewhat faded. What holds the seams together???

OOOOHHHH Jaimie, nice job. You have inspired me to redo some of the chairs I won on e-bay which are somewhat faded. What holds the seams together???

I just used the Tacky glue! I guess you could use hot glue, but I would think that would stick out too much. the tacky glue can dry flat.

Thank you! Yes, they are unique for my house. And I feel grat that I accomplishe yet another thing for the mini people. I feel like I am a building/decorator for my mini family from all those show on HGTV and TLC and Extreeme Home Makeover.

I was worried about the seams on the chair, but looking at yours reminded me that I can run a line of trim of some sort of them to hide it! Now I just have to root through my stash of stuff to find pretty trim t go with it, and make sure I have enough for 2 chairs, 2 foot stools and the couch!

I remember looking at your pics once before. nice job. They look so beautiful. I especially love the "makeover" on the dolls. I'll be making dolls eventually! I think the hardest part will be being able to make the clothes.

I use Aleene`s Tacky glue when I did the couch and chair. It glued very well but I also did it tack style. I let it get kinda gummy b4 I taped it together.

Thanks for sharing! The "new" furniture is really nice. Thanks for the inspiration! I'll bet my husband has a tie or two that would do for reupholstering some furniture I got on eBay a while back. I don't like the fabric, but would never have thought of recovering it!