I re-upholstered some furniture

JaimieMarvon

I can't wait to start making dolls. but I won't until the house is finished on the inside. (getting there!) I've been collecting bits a fabric here and there from garage sales, old clothes of my family's (instead of donating them, if the pattern in small) and Rag Shop (east coast craft store chain) has a bin that they have small size fabric pieces in at very reduced prices. They blue fabric that I've been using for the upholstry was from there. The piece was ALOMST a yard and it only cost me $2! Got a bunch of other ones too. Some cream colored "satin" that may make very elegant curtain/drapes for the house.

Although I've been re-thinking my decor for this house. I remember seeing someone's 70's roombox recently on the forum. I really love the 80's and I was thinking abut possibly making the house all in 1980's era! I've got lots of research materials already, books, websites already saved in my favorites, I even made my own "electronic scrapbook" of sorts. You can see it here Jaimie's 80's scrapbook pages. Lots of stuff there, but I think a feew sections are missing. have Timeline, Fads & Fashion, TV (Cartoons, kids TV, and regular tv shows) Movies, music (top 100 songs of each year, from 70's thru 90's)Toys, Books/Mags, Dolls, etc. Took me a few years to put it all together, but I love looking at it all.

What do you think? Leg warmers on the dolls, record players & 8 track player, a old VCR, princess phones, big hair on the girl dolls (maybe eve dress the teenage daughter as Madonna "Like a Virgin" era!!), Izod shirts on the boys with high top sneakers. Maybe a Heather Locklear poster hanging up in the boy's room!

Hi Jamie,

Your 80's Room sounds like it will be fun for you to put together :p And definitely needs a Heather Locklear poster heheheh <_< Love your furniture too. I tried recovering a sofa in full size once - it was a disaster and I'm still very hessitant to try it even in mini. You make it look so easy :D like oh yea I just recovered these what do you think - I think they're awesome :D

-David ;)

In the 80s, I had a BIG poster of Prince on my wall (my mother hated it cause he was like almost naked..LOL).

Gotta get some of those black rubber bracelets for her arms. A flashdance shirt! and those lil lace gloves with the fingers cut out!

I tried recovering a sofa in full size once - it was a disaster and I'm still very hessitant to try it even in mini. You make it look so easy :p like oh yea I just recovered these what do you think - I think they're awesome :D

Too funny David!! It really wasn't that hard. I did it while sitting on my bed watching TV in the nice air condiditoning. SOO HOT out there this week and last)

Here's my "Tutorial":

I carefully "broke" the piece of furniture apart from where you can see it glued together. Then I took each piece and looked to see how the fabric was originally glued on then gently ripped the fabric off, if I could, cust a piece of blue fabric close to that original and glued it on. I smoothed it out with my fingers and got very messy with the glue!

I think a real sofa would be too much fabric to get tangled up in! The small version was very easy. <_<

In the 80s, I had a BIG poster of Prince on my wall (my mother hated it cause he was like almost naked..LOL).!

post-592-1154541675_thumb.jpg was it this one??? LOL ;)

Gotta get some of those black rubber bracelets for her arms. A flashdance shirt! and those lil lace gloves with the fingers cut out!

Black "jelly bracelets" Flashdance

Lace Gloves

post-592-1154541121_thumb.jpg My bedroom in the 80's LOVE the wallpaper and the "Blonde wood stained" furniture!

Girl in pic is my cousin (same age as me... about age 10 in the pic so would be 1980). She was visiting for a few weeks, hence the cot with the Ragedy Ann & Andy comforter next to the dresser. Since my husband, son & I are living in this very same house, this room is now my son's bedroom. Ironically, and definetly not on purpose, his dresser is in the exact same spot! (although it is a tall dresser, not a wide one)

Here's my "Tutorial":

I carefully "broke" the piece of furniture apart from where you can see it glued together. Then I took each piece and looked to see how the fabric was originally glued on then gently ripped the fabric off, if I could, cust a piece of blue fabric close to that original and glued it on. I smoothed it out with my fingers and got very messy with the glue!

Wow Jamie! Thanks!! You are one brave girl! I've bought furnature that has come appart where it's glued but I've never tried taking any appart. That's a bit of a frieghtening notion but after seeing yours and reading your directions I'm thinking I should give it a try! Of course I've got to finish the Orchid first but I'm definitely saving these instructions! I've got about 3 sofas that are all very simular looking - I like the style but not the fabric - this would be awesome if I could customize them for my houses <_< Thanks again!!

-David

Just remember as much as possible to use natural (VS synthetic) fabrics for dolls' clothes.

Holly- Might be a silly question, but its so hot I can't even THINK. Can you explain why to only use natural fabrics?

David -

I am truly HONORED. my first "tutorial" LOL

Here's a little more info:

Some pieces are hard to get apart. Be careful! A section could split. You can glue it back together if you have to. But better to "rock" a tough piece loose, instead of using brut force. <_<

By "rocking" a tough piece, I mean pull/tug a little to test the glue's hold. If its tough you may have to pull & tug a little to break the glue's seal. Some of my pieces came loose with a good tug, and some had to be coaxed a bit more.

Some of my pieces were stuck together by the fabric. You will need a Xacto knife, but be VERY careful!! I was using my knife to pry a piece of wood apart and slipped. For some reason I was holding the knife in my left hand and punctured by right thumb. hurt alot and bled for a while. Was gettingn nervous, until I got myself together and remembered my simple first aid!! LOL Had to use pressure and hold it above my head for 5 minutes. Hurt like heck the next day and a half but its all better now! ;)

Jaime, Not that one. I was trying to find a pic of it but to no avail. He was laying down in this photo if memory serves correctly. It was a Purple Rain era one. Not from the movie though.

As much fun as it would be to make an 80's house I'm beginning to think that it too big of a project considering I havea TON of furniture and stuff already.

I think I will make an 80's Nostalgia Store in my condo mall that is my "WAY IN THE FUTURE" project. In my head I've pitcured similar to a shelving unit from floor to ceiling wide enough to have a "store" on both left and right sides with a (possibly working) elevator in the middle to get to each floor. I love building the Garf. but I do't want to build another house I just want to fill one up. I figured I could put a few fake windows and a door to enter each "store", but that may be pretty much be all of the builind process. Except for making as much of the furniture and store displays as I can.

Once I get good at the making things phase of the dollhouse I can figure out what other types of stores I want in there too. <_<

LOL

I know all about those kinds of projects!

the ones you hide in the back of your mind

coz ya know there is just no way itll happen anytime soon!

I got a few of those myself!

nutti :blink:

Thanks! I figure that I have plenty of time to give it lots of thought. As well of practice on making things.

Its going to be very diversified, kind of like many room boxes all piled together. I defiantely want a pet store, some sort of deli/convenience store. Maybe a florist/plant shop, an office to run all the stores, and a "penthouse apt" at the top!!! There also might be a section for rest rooms with stalls and such!! LOL

Plus since its a "future" project I can start accumulating thigs here adn there. When the time comes to begin I will have so many little things that I will be overwhelmed! he he :blink:

Great job on the furniture, Jaimie! Beautiful blue material - and what a bargain!

I've noticed that most miniaturists use tacky glue for just about everything (myself included), but few seem to use fabric glue. I use fabric glue whenever there is material involved - it doesn't seep through, and it holds really well. It does the job with far less "mess". IMHO :blink:

The 80's theme room sounds pretty cool - something a little different from the usual! It sounds like you already have a treasurehouse of research files - I'm looking forward to seeing it (about a year from now)!