mystery shopper

Shakyshaky

Has anyone ever been one or know someone who has? I have recently been thinking of something I could do as a work from home kinda thing. I am so tired of hearing people say that I spend all of Dh's money and I don't contribute and I don't have a real job! My head knows that these things are not true but after awhile it wears on a person. ^_^ Any thoughts?

Darrell tried to do that maybe 2 years ago, He is still listed and they still send Him notices of mystery shops in our area, but they never give Him the OK to go do one.

I do not have a real job. I have not had a real job for over 2 years. I am currently volunteering, ( I have no choice, either volunteer, or lose my state aide) untill I find real job or If and when I get on disibility my income will be about the same as stae aid, which is very little and does not even cover the rent. I usually ask before I spend any of the money Darrell makes.

I try to make as much as I can from scraps and what friends have donated to me. I am often on the lookout at garage sales to find crafting material.

Melissa

Hi,

I have been doing this on and off for the past 3 years or so. I find its ok - very flexible - but not a huge money maker. I probably make about £50-£100 a month, but I do only do about 50% of the jobs that I am offered.

I used to be quite shy but I do think doing this has made me a it more forward when asking for things that I want. ^_^

I think you have got nothing to lose by trying it - its easy, and if you dont like it then just dont do it anymore.

However, dont be pushed into it by people who should be minding their own business concerning your money situation! :o

I did mystery shopping a looooonnnnnggggg time ago. B4 kids. In the 80s!

It was a fun job. I was a teen at the time but it gave me extra pocket money on top of my regular job. You have to pay for like the meal and then the company pays you back and pays you for your services. Sometimes I got gift certificates for the business i was shopping in but I dont know if they still do that.

Being at home IS a job. Taking care of the house and children IS a job. In fact, they are the most important, most prestigious, most difficult jobs in the world!! Even if you dont have children, running a home is very hard work.

Tell those people you do have a job, many jobs... Maid, gardener, accountant, chauffeur, pet groomer, nurse, nurses aide (diapers!), Judge, attorney, window washer, housekeeper, exterminator, personal shopper, chef, dishwasher....Shall I go on?

My dh and I dont consider it HIS money cause he works outside..it is our money, our house, our couch, my remote, our car, our life.

Melaine,

You raise those babies and enjoy it!!!!!!! ^_^

Don't worry about making "your "own money. You have the rest of your life to do that.

They grow up so fast and will have great memories of mom being there with them.

Don't fall into that trap of feeling like you have to contribute. How dare anyone say that to you.

How does your Husband feel on the subject?

SuzyQ

Don't worry about making "your "own money. You have the rest of your life to do that.

They grow up so fast and will have great memories of mom being there with them.

Don't fall into that trap of feeling like you have to contribute. How dare anyone say that to you.

SuzyQ, I have to agree with you. When I quit my job after I had Sarah, I felt that I did not contribute enough because selling dollhouses does not bring in as much cash as my job did. I LOVED my job too so it made the choice more difficult for me. I am so happy that hubby kept encouraging me to just enjoy being a Mom. I was laying in bed last night thinking about where did the time go!

My baby will be 5 years old in January!! ^_^ I was emailing my friend Mary a couple of weeks ago because she was like my best e-buddy when I was working and deciding to stay at home. She helped me so MUCH!! (Her website is www.madiganhouse.com ya gotta see her stuff if you have not been there ). Any way when I told her how old the "baby" was she flipped and it just made me realize that time really does fly by fast. My son will be 18 the end of September and will graduate next year. I remember rocking him in the rocking chair and reading him a story every night before bed. :o

You can always make time to make money, but money will never help you buy back time you lost. Enjoy them. How IS hubby doing after his accident?

Has anyone ever been one or know someone who has? I have recently been thinking of something I could do as a work from home kinda thing. I am so tired of hearing people say that I spend all of Dh's money and I don't contribute and I don't have a real job! My head knows that these things are not true but after awhile it wears on a person. :D Any thoughts?

Let's see about that now. You have how many children under age 12? Around here, daycare for one child per week is now at $230 per WEEK. For an infant, it's higher. Multiply that by the amount of children you have and add that into your wages. Call some housekeeping places and see how much they charge for housecleaning. Add that into your wages. Call a catering place and find out how much that costs, and add it into your wages. Call the carpenter and find out how much they would have charged for the toy room, and add that in. There are other services which can be charged for too.

Actually, I think you're owed some money girl!

I agree that you shouldn't be worried about what others think about your personal life Melanie. If you and your DH agree that everything is shared between you then it is including money. So it's not his money it's both of yours. You work by taking care of everything at home and that's the most important job there is. If you feel that you need to get a job, do it for yourself not everyone else.

I took a part-time job last year for only a couple hours a night cleaning offices, it wasn't bad and it got me out of the house. But unfortunately my kids had a hard time dealing with it and I ending up leaving for their sakes (Chris's grades at school, they went from B's to D's mainly). But I have no regrets because I tried it and really that's what was important that I went and tried something different for myself. So if you decide to do this make sure it's for yourself and not everybody telling you to (if that makes any sense to you :D ).

Whatever you decide I'm sure it will be fine, let us know what happens :wacko: .

Has anyone ever been one or know someone who has? I have recently been thinking of something I could do as a work from home kinda thing. I am so tired of hearing people say that I spend all of Dh's money and I don't contribute and I don't have a real job! My head knows that these things are not true but after awhile it wears on a person. :D Any thoughts?

I signed up with a mystery shopping company. Almost all the jobs were eating at fast food places. You had to order specific menu items and go during specific times of the day.

You have to add up all the costs of a job to decide if it's really worth it. Commuting, day care, wardrobe, lunches, take out for supper because you're too tired to cook, etc. all those things add up.

Kathy

Thanks for the info guys. Dh jokes about me spending all his money. ( atleast he says he is joking, I am being to wonder) I never buy anything without talking to him about it first. I try to make as much of my minis as I can but there are things I just can't do, like silverware.

Fo rthose of you don't know I have 4 kids ages 6,5, 3 and 2 next month. I went to the grocerie store with them one time and some lady stoped me ( read as parked her cart in front of me and cortnered me in the isle) and started to lecture me about how lucky I and how I had better appreciate being able to stay at home with them. It took me 10 minutes of " Yes I am very thankful" and "yes I do know how lucky I am " before she would move so I could finish shopping. It is not the fist time something like this has happened to me either. I must have some huge sign on me I can't see. :D

I have sold a few things recently and honestly like the fact that I could buy something without answering to anyone. I had also been thinking of going to garage sales and doing the ebay thing. I need to think about it some more.

Melanie, this is a pre-coffee post so PLEASE understand but I had to post.

Did you know the woman who cornered you in the grocery store? Was she a stranger?

I can be a real wimp sometimes but when it comes to who i am and how others treat me, I get very very territorial!

If you didnt know her, I would have told her to move her cart and mind her business. If she didnt I would have screamed for security. I swear to you on the heads of my children, I would have! That would have shut her up and got her running!

If you did know her, I would have politely told her to move her cart and mind her business. If she didnt move I would have told her that I would give her 5 seconds to move or I would scream for security...LOL

You know her, give her cordiality and a head start warning.

I would never let someone ,stranger or no,t give me a lecture. Unless I was standing in front of their courtroom and they were wearing a black robe, they have no right to lecture. I told a nosy neighbor that I had a italian catholic mother..I had plenty of guilt trips in my life.. and if they felt the need to lecture they were in the wrong place...they need to be up the street six feet under!

Okay I will have my coffee now, and edit at will.. unless you think I am right.

<yawn>

<climb on soapbox>

Being a SAHM IS a fulltime job, the benies are middlin' and the pay SUCKS! FOUR little kids? That woman had a lot of nerve and DH had best be kidding... I was a SAHM until DS#3 started school. Your children are only going to be little for a few years and then, if y'all need that second income, by all means go get a job. But you do not have to answer to anyone and stop doing it!

<climbing off soapbox & stumbling off to read the rest of the forum>

I did not know the woman. I may just start yelling security. Maybe if I become "that crazy woman" people will leave me alone. :D

We don't need the extra income. I think next time he jokes about spending His money I am going to write myself a check and then it will be MY money. :wacko:

Selling stuff was my way to not be in the trap of feeling I needed to "ask for money" and having a budget does help in that reagrd.

Old books sell for good money too on ebay. I found that I have lots of books that are worth $50 + on ebay because they are rare and out of print. Libraries discard old books and so does schools. These places sometimes give books away for free. Do you live by any outlet malls? You can buy stuff (Especially children clothes) for GREAT prices and resale them on ebay too.

This is part of why I sell on ebay. So I can support my addiction (Dollhouses) and also buy the extras for myself and the kids without dipping into the family budget.

I think next time he jokes about spending His money I am going to write myself a check and then it will be MY money. :D

Too funny! Good for you Melanie!!!

I am not a stay at home mom, but I gave it some thought. I did however take the extended leave when my son (turning 4 8/21) was born. I was out for over 6 months, counting maternity leave and the extended FMLA. Jayce was born 2 weeks late (extra time) plus I had c-section (another extra 2 weeks!). I love my sone to DEATH but I was that person who neede to go back to work to have a "break from being mommy", I guess. He has LOVED day care and is very smart, NOT to say that SAHM's kids aren't! We are also very strict parents, as well as very loving. I only have the one so day care cost isn't too bad.

I do applaud you for being able to "do it all", and some times I wish I could just work part time and be home more. Especially since he is getting older and more independent. I al always stressing that there is not enough time to clean, cook, play, etc. when we get home from work.

Cherrish it Melanie! And know that there are all kinds of different people out there. Ones that looks down on you (shame on them, who are they to judge?!!!) and ones like me who wish I could stay at home more. :wacko:

And by the way... I agree whole heartedly with Hedi. DO NOT let anyone corner you EVER AGAIN!! Does not matter if you know then or not. Just push the woman aside or bang your cart into hers, something, anything, but yell that it is none of her business. If you are afraid your kids will see it, get over it, they will!!

ok, I have to go back to work now... :D

Fo rthose of you don't know I have 4 kids ages 6,5, 3 and 2 next month. I went to the grocerie store with them one time and some lady stoped me ( read as parked her cart in front of me and cortnered me in the isle) and started to lecture me about how lucky I and how I had better appreciate being able to stay at home with them.
I have four kids, five when Joe is here (my stepson) I haven't had any comments like that. I live in an area where large families are common and moms stay home. One of my neighbors has six kids, another has eight. I got a comment once about the amount of food we were buying, we had two carts.

<yawn>

<climb on soapbox>

Being a SAHM IS a fulltime job, the benies are middlin' and the pay SUCKS! FOUR little kids? That woman had a lot of nerve and DH had best be kidding... I was a SAHM until DS#3 started school. Your children are only going to be little for a few years and then, if y'all need that second income, by all means go get a job. But you do not have to answer to anyone and stop doing it!

<climbing off soapbox & stumbling off to read the rest of the forum>

Worth repeating. There was a time when I didn't have a way to bring in extra money. Michael always told me he didn't care what I spent as long as the bills were paid, but I still felt bad at times.

I have sold a few things recently and honestly like the fact that I could buy something without answering to anyone. I had also been thinking of going to garage sales and doing the ebay thing. I need to think about it some more.

Selling stuff was my way to not be in the trap of feeling I needed to "ask for money" and having a budget does help in that reagrd.

Old books sell for good money too on ebay. I found that I have lots of books that are worth $50 + on ebay because they are rare and out of print. Libraries discard old books and so does schools. These places sometimes give books away for free.

When I stopped homeschooling I was able to sell all of the books on ebay for good prices. The best part was I was able to get the books from thrift stores for $.50 or 3 for a $ from a thirft store. I still have few books left, but just haven't listed them.

Andrew, companies hire "mystery shoppers" to go around to stores to check out merchandise quality & prices, employee attitudes & service, etc. Companies do it to check on how their stores are doing when the "official brass" aren't visiting, and also to check out what the competiton's doing that they oughta do.

I have a friend who REALLY likes doing it. She is in Texas so they may pay more for it. Most people don't make much mystery shopping so it would be cool if there were someone who knew of a reputable place that offers good pay :D

havanaholly Posted Today, 11:20 AM

Andrew, companies hire "mystery shoppers" to go around to stores to check out merchandise quality & prices, employee attitudes & service, etc. Companies do it to check on how their stores are doing when the "official brass" aren't visiting, and also to check out what the competiton's doing that they oughta do.

Oh that sounds like fun I might like to try doing that sometime.

SuzyQ