Tell me about the Beacon Hill...

minifan

O.K., so Angie's recent updates have me mulling over this long-time favorite...

DH said it was possible that the (and I quote) "if the dollhouse fairy visited us on Christmas, what kit do you think he would leave?"...!?!?! DH...um apparently you have no idea about the Glencroft and the Willow...(so we'll just keep them to ourselves then huh?) & I've never thought of the dollhouse fairy as a man before...

But...I'm soo not going to let this opportunity pass me by...

SO...I've been thinking soo much about the Beacon Hill...it's been a long time favorite of mine and I'm thinking that if I can pull off the Rosedale, (alebit halfscale version) with no shingles, the FF, which I'm sooo close I can taste it...that a Beacon Hill could be a possibility for me...

So here's my question to all you BHer's...

How difficult is it in comparison? I keep hearing that there are sooo many trim pieces to sand...and that's what everyone doesn't like...is it a tough house to bash a little, (nothing major, just some ideas)...is it really that nice to have?

(P.S., I know some of you may disagree, but to me, the Beacon has been THE GL house, it's what GL stands for, like the "anchor" of the line kind of thing...this is where my want for one comes from)...

Well... Me and my Beast have been fighting for a while. It hates me.

Actually, it wasn't really that hard of a build, even the stairs weren't bad at all. It was just fighting me for some reason. But I took a break to finish the Fairfield, and when I went back, the pieces that had been giving me trouble when I took my break, went right into place! So we're back happy again.

So, I think you'd be fine building it. And it's just as bashable as other Greenleaf houses, I've seen many do some really pretty things with it. I happen to love it as it is. :wub:

I read the directions for the windows last night though. After my husband walked past me 3 times in 10 minutes and I was sitting in the same spot staring, he asked me what was worng. I explained I just read the window directions... Lots of pieces. We'll see if I ever make it past that point.

I do agree with you though, that it is THE house. I was so excited last night when I finally got all the roof and the tower on, and got to look at it for the first time in it's "built" form. So pretty!

You can do it! :o

I don't know about the building part because mine was a gift, but I LOVE my Beacon Hill. The nooks and crannies that make it tricky also make it so realistic. I also love that it is vertical and so doesn't have too huge of a footprint for display purposes. The rooms are deep and various shapes and sizes and the dormers are charming. This is a GREAT house and a great long term project!

I have been building my beacon for a few years! lol :wub: I seem to keep changing my mind on how i want things to look. It gave me problems with the shell as i had warped pieces, but i know that this has happend to other members with other kits too.

I love the roof and the vertical is great. I have taken out alot of things and am mostly using the shell. So it wont really look alot like a victorian house anylonger.

Im doing the bromley craft stone affect on it, looks good but i think i need to grout. I guess it does also depend on how much space you have for a large house??

I have been building my beacon for a few years! lol :o I seem to keep changing my mind on how i want things to look.

I guess it does also depend on how much space you have for a large house??

Eh, I don't think I'm too worried about the space...but I do know that the Garfield is WAY to big...(at least for me) and it's a little out of the price range for a Christmas gift that I would want dh to spend...

I was thinking of one as a very shabby chic style, my mom's FF is sooo shabby chic that it's incredible...I'm wondering how some of these Robin Betterly kits would look as a 1:12 design in the Beacon...

The BH seems kind of "dark" to me, so I thought I would "lighten" it up with the shabby-ness of it all... :wub:

shabby chic sounds great!!! I do agree that the house can look dark. I just go 2 new books and one is maison miniature by christine lia frisoni. It's a great book, though i dont read french. I just go it the other day and i plan on translating the sections i want and pasting the english in the book.

Great inspiration though, there are some wonderful shabby blogs out there too. I have used spackle all through out my beacon and only plan to put a wash on some walls. I love the look of plaster!!!!

The RB kits would look great in the house, I think if you have made a few or get some kits it will inspire you to dress up some other furniture too. Shabby chic is great, i love destressed!! You cant really go wrong as if you dont like it you start again.

You were asking about parts for the beacon eariler, yes there is alot of little add on's. i have decided not to use alot of that am I bought my door and windows seperatly. just using the top ones.

There are some great beacon hill pictures in the gallery if you need some more inspiration.

AMANDA, I LOVE MY BEACON HILL. I THINK YOU SHOULD DEFINITELY GET ONE. IT WILL TAKE LONGER TO BUILD BECAUSE IT IS LARGER AND A LITTLE MORE INVOLVED. IT DOES HAVE ALOT OF PARTS AND I DO MEAN ALOT, THE TRIPLE KITCHEN WINDOW HAS ALMOST THIRTY PIECES FOR THAT ONE WINDOW UNIT. THE HARDEST THING TO ME WAS GETTING THE MANSARD ROOF PIECES TO BEND INTO PLACE, BUT I BELIEVE THAT GREENLEAF CHANGED THAT PART OF THE KIT AND MADE IT EASIER. THE STAIRCASE IS VERY INVOLVED AND HAS ALOT OF PIECES, BUT WAS NOT DIFFICULT AND IT IS SO BEAUTIFUL WHEN DONE. IT IS NOT A QUICK BUILD, YOU WILL BE WORKING ON IT FOR AWHILE, I'VE HAD MINE FOR TWO YEARS AND I WILL FINISH IT ONE DAY. THE BEACON HILL IS A BEAUTIFUL MAJESTIC HOUSE AND I BELIEVE SHABBY CHIC WOULD BE BEAUTIFUL.

A shabby-chic Beacon Hill would be so awesome. I hope you do build one! The shell went together quickly and easily, but I left out the stairs and haven't gotten around to the windows and trim yet, so I don't know how challenging that part will be. Hopefully it's not too tedious, because I'm ready to get to the fun part - decorating and furnishing!

""The BH seems kind of "dark" to me, so I thought I would "lighten" it up with the shabby-ness of it all... :) ""

This was supposed to be a quote, I must have done something wrong......anyway

I think your shabby chic idea would definetly lighten things up. One of my favorite Beacons is by Midnight Voice on this forum. For some reason it gave me the feeling of of breezy and by the sea, like an old sea captain's home and I have been stuck on that ever since.

The BH is the flagship model of the Greenleaf design. I can't understand why the company won't produce that in laser cut form.

I have arthritis in my hands, and all that sanding would cause me considerable grief. Now that GL has started producing laser cutting, I'm spoiled for it, forever.

When GL produces the BH in laser cut, I'll ask for it for Christmas, but not before.

So I'd ask for the Brimbles Mercantile, or Taft Country Store, if I had room for it. Those kits are super cool.

:)

I'm not finding the build to be difficult at all, when I first opened the box and looked at all those pieces my initial thought was, "oh my lord what have I gotten myself into," but it really hasn't been that bad at all. There are a lot pieces to prepare which can get overwhelming but as long as you are organized you should have no trouble with this one!! Just keep in mind her size because she is a big one and requires a lot of space both during the building process and for display. I have not ran into any major problems with mine and have enjoyed my time with her so far, that's not to say that we haven't had our differences but, I couldn't have chosen a better house for my first build!! I don't think you would have any trouble with this one Amanda, so go for it!!

The BH was my first GL house; and only my second build. Quite frankly, it's A LOT of work, but it's not hard... just tedious at times. And everything HAS TO BE SQUARE. So, BUY CLAMPS. But, it is a great house, and I love mine :wave: She's still in progress, I've just about finished siding her, and all the wallpaper/flooring has been installed. Go for it girl! :cheer:

Too bad they don't have a half scale laser cut yet!

:cheer: I completely agree. I would definitly be the first in line to get this in halfscale! Too bad there wasn't a petition available to get votes on what houses to turn into halfscale. I would be adding the Beacon Hill, Garfield and Willowcrest. I had the Beacon Hill, it was my first build and I was thrilled with the kit, I was however upset that I followed the instructions and used hotglue. :wave: Ended up giving the house away for free because I could see all the ways I could have done better and couldn't bring myself to finish it as it was. Would love to try again some day. :yay:

It's a Beautiful House and I love the rooms and depth of the house a lot because it fits perfectly on a sofa table (without a base added of course). I'm dreaming of a 1/2" scale one. I'd love to have one in that scale!

I think, for me, the BH was more intellectually challenging... Which is why I enjoyed it so much. (Or maybe I just overthought everything... :wave: ) I would like to build it again sometime, maybe in blue tones, but not in laser-cut-- give me the ol' splinters!