fire simulation???

Quirky

Hey everyone...long time no see :D:) been sick and busy on my end...I had to just skip a bunch of posts...there was no way I was going to catch up :lol:

I have a question...I have created a little troll, and done a fireplace using Tracy tutorial...and in the process of making a huge cave for both to stay in...my question concerns the fireplace...anyone have any tips on making it look like a real fire??? I'm going to use mulch as my firewood and place some river rock pebbles under it to help elevate it a bit...and I have a hubby that can help me set up some lighting in the fireplace and I even have some red celophane...my problem is to me that doesn't even remotely look real...any tips on making it look even more real???

Take care everyone and before long I'll get pics up of the troll and his home... :lol:

Tracy's directions are always super, but I use a red bulb -- available thru HBS. Ok, I cheat! :D But with the way you described your firewood the red bulb should work well.

I sort of like the idea of the three-way clear red straw & clear silicone sealant, but haven't tried it.

HUH....ok sorry...lost me...

And Thanks for the welcome back Deb...glad you like my work...check my blog...I put pics up tonight :D:) I'm soooo excited about this one...

HUH....ok sorry...lost me...

Sorry, I was thinking of a fire simulation tutorial I saw in a mini magazine (AM, I think) a while back. A clear red straw was cut in pieces with one piece glued at right angles in the center of a second piece twice as long. this was glued behind some twigs glued into a firewood pile and clear caulk squeezed onto the twigs and "teased" with a toothpick to look like flames. The flicker bulb was placed in the straw and made an interesting looking "fire".

No Idea but love the way you coloured your logo. I remember when you just received it and it was uncoloured.

Glen

lol...thanks a million...I actually didn't color it...the artist did :D:) it is just toooo cool in person..and she was sweet enough to do a simplified version that I could shrink down and use as a stamp for my sculpts and on their certificates :o:) I just love it...my only problem is now I'm trying to get a scan of it good enough for a website but that doesn't cost a fortune...If I can ever get that done I'll have a website :):)

I saw that tutorial also Holly and that is how we made our fire for Riks class...very easy to do.

but Im gonna try Tracys way next! hot glue I got plenty of!

nutti :D

I'll try to get some photos to post, but I do have realistic looking fire for my fireplaces. The first step is to take the wood you are using and dry brush flat black on the area that is going to be in contact to the "fire", fading out away from the fire. Next add a little gray over the black. This will simulate the look of burnt wood and ash. Next, mix a small amount of two part epoxy on a piece of smooth plastic. Use a stick or toothpick to spread the mixure out in the shape of flames. If the fire is going to have a 360 degree view, you will want to curl the plastic into a circle in a large enough diameter to fit a light inside before the epoxy dries entirely. It will dry extremely hard if mixed properly. I use twigs from my front yard for logs and lay them in the wet epoxy. If your making a circular fire it will freestand without being permanently attached to the wood. The final step is to paint the dried epoxy yellow with orange highlights. Also make sure the flames are high enough to cover the light bulbs. If you use the flickering light kit it will look very realistic. Also, making multiple fire rings, (a tall ring for the inside ring and a low ring for the outside) will add to the realism. Hope this helps!

My darling husband (who is craizer than I am) Is in the process of trying to figure out how to make a REAL fireplace. He wants to use cement to make a fireplace and put a little gas line in and make a real fire....I will let you know if anything burns to the ground. LOL

wow thanks for all the ideas everyone!!! Def. gonna have to try all of them :D:) Just an idea but instead of the apoxie which ends up so hard...I have this stuff called Scenic Water that dries a little flexible...so it wouldn't be as hard once dry...might try that with your info....thanks again!!!

Thanks so much tracy! I have two fireplaces and now that I saw how ez it is and looks so good.. I am going to do that instead of seperate connections for special flickering fires!

:D

My darling husband (who is craizer than I am) Is in the process of trying to figure out how to make a REAL fireplace. He wants to use cement to make a fireplace and put a little gas line in and make a real fire....I will let you know if anything burns to the ground. LOL

Before he does that, you might want to build a mini firehouse. Just in case. :D

Deb

Would that be a 2 alarm or a 3 alarmer?

Reminds me of one of Ogden Nash's verses:

The one-l lama is a priest,

the two-l llama is a beast,

but I will bet a silk pajama

there's no such thing as a three-l lllama (unless you count a fire).

If you want a purely painted simulation, this guy did a neat firey explosion effect for a diorama:

http://starshipmodeler.net/cgi-bin/phpBB2/...ghlight=#535849

You'll have to scroll to the top of the thread to get to the links for the pics.

He goes on in the thread to outline how it was painted to achieve the effect.