fire simulation???

Quirky

Sorry, I was thinking of a fire simulation tutorial I saw in a mini magazine (AM, I think) a while back. A clear red straw was cut in pieces with one piece glued at right angles in the center of a second piece twice as long. this was glued behind some twigs glued into a firewood pile and clear caulk squeezed onto the twigs and "teased" with a toothpick to look like flames. The flicker bulb was placed in the straw and made an interesting looking "fire".

Been lurking on this topic but I'm finding it really interresting. Tracy great tutorial! I think I may have to try it. I'm still not up to par on my electrical stuff but I really like the way how the one in your blog looks!! And I was just wondering if anyone remembered which issues of AM the fire tutorial is in? I went through my back issues but It hink it must be one I don't have and will have to keep an eye out for second hand. Sounds like a good issue!

-David ;)

Well the tutorial must have been in DHM or MC because I just went through all 39 issues of AM & didn't find it. OK, someone who has bookmarked the NAME site can look it up, we already have Tracy's tutorial & I'm not trying to fix what's now broken!

Anya...that is really nice!!! I'm assuming and correct if wrong that you have the light behind all this and have painted the silicone to look that way? What kind did you use...I didn't think you could paint silicone sealant...

I did what I could with what I had the other night...doesn't look as good as all of yours but I don't think it turned out bad...I'll get a pic and let you see tonight when I get home :rolleyes:

Anya, can you do a step by step pictorial on how you did yours? I would love to see it. The pictures I used to have in my blog (using red straws and clear chalk) is on my old computer :rolleyes: so I could not reload it.

I will do that one again the next time I make one like that though.

Tracy, Where can I get the one bulb pluggy thingy stuff for the fireplace.

I know what you are talking about but what is it called when I go look to purchase it?

Well here is my attempt...this is using a red cellophane I had off of a baby cheese my mother bought...and I used genisis paints to paint it...let me know what you all think...ohh...the logs are mulch and and rest diff. kinds of coffee grounds...

trollsteady0014oz.th.jpg

Karen, it looks SO good, and if you wanted light you could wire a flicker bulb behind it. I had wondered about the celophane from the Mini Bel cheeses, I think there's a yellow kind, too. I save the little mesh bags for texturing clay & for coarse screening (used some in a mini canning cupboard & also the medicine chest in the Westville).

Anya...that is really nice!!! I'm assuming and correct if wrong that you have the light behind all this and have painted the silicone to look that way? What kind did you use...I didn't think you could paint silicone sealant...

I did what I could with what I had the other night...doesn't look as good as all of yours but I don't think it turned out bad...I'll get a pic and let you see tonight when I get home :rolleyes:

The way I have seen it done (I changed my own design) is with a clear straw painted with orange (not red) glass paint glued in place onto some wood that is cut to fit inside your recess, the sillicone is not painted. Then sillicone sealant is put on top of the straw but you must avoid getting sealant inside the straw hole that will be at the back of the recess because that's where your 'grain of rice' bulb will go. Then you sprinkle some very fine grey model railway grit on top of the sealant and burn a few thin twigs (just so they are slightly scorched) and place them on top of the grit and sealant making sure that the sealant sticks to the twigs a little. Let it set overnight and then you are ready to put your 'grain of rice' bulb inside the straw and light up.

If you want to try this just pm me if you need any help. :blink:

I feel so silly! I have the other burning embers tutorial in my Arthur Blog right here.

I feel so crazy. I don't know why I did not remember this. :( You all have to take advantage of these blogs. There is a Wealth of info in them :lol:

I love all the different ideas you guys have for the burning logs! I will definitely try some on the next fireplace I need.

If you place just a few - 3 or 5, maybe - tiny pieces of red glitter here and there in among the logs, it looks like hot embers. (I usually go for odd numbers - 3, 5, 7, etc. It just looks more natural. Less is more, if you get my meaning.)