Willocrest help

cjack

Hi All! Need help again. I am at the point of putting the fascia on my willowcrest but need all you experienced guys to help out a rookie. I am using the siding that came with the willowcrest and want to know if I put the fascia on prior to the siding or vice versa. I am guessing I need to put the siding on first since it is so thin. Also, the directions recommend using hot glue to put on the siding because they say white glue will tend to warp the siding. Has anyone had experience with that? Me and hot glue guns don't get along very well but will use it if that is the general consenses. Any other tips will be greatly appreciated!Thanks so very much!

Iv'e used hot glue for siding and not had any problems. I like it because if you do screw up you can get it off, with a little effort.

Good luck with the house i love the willowcrest, would love to have one.

Jenn

I used tacky glue for the siding on the Lily. I would put a bead on it then use an old credit card to spread it evenly over the siding, after every 3 or 4 rows I would place a board or something up against it and clamp it on till it dried. I had very little warping and that was only where I had to fit around window trim that I had mistakenly already put on.

I use the same ol' yellow carpenter's wood glue I use for EVERYTHING else, and tape the bottome edge of one siding strip to the rows below it. Siding gables I used clamps. There was a bit of curling that flattened out when the glue dried.

I applied trim over siding on the Westville, I had one spot where I had to do a bit of "cosmetic surgery" on some of the gingerbread trim due to the extra room. The next time I sided I butted the strips to the trim. If it'll fit it definitely gives a nicer finish to apply the trim over the siding.

Hi there!

I finished putting a Willowcrest together for a gal who didn't have time to finish it.

It would be best to put the siding on before the fascia....She had already put the fascia on so I had to put the siding on afterwards and I had a very tough time. I wound up putting the siding on flat with no overlap. It turned out fine, but it sure didn't look like the pictures on the box.

Since she had never put a house together she used the hot glue as was recommended....I had to make a LOT of repairs of things that fell off in my hands when I tried to place something else. All in all I basically had to rebuild at least 75% of what she had already done with her hot glue!! Not fun!! The glue I prefer is Aleene's Quick Dry Tacky Glue and only in very rare cases do I use anything else! I have never had a problem with warping due to using Aleene's or white glue of any kind for that matter. But, I use a TON of masking tape to hold everything in place while the glue dries completely. (As a matter of fact I ran into more warpage due to her hot glue.)

I use hot glue on other types of crafts, but, I don't get along with hot glue guns very well either :rolleyes: so I sure don't use them on my dollhouses.

I think you'll find a link to my webshots album below -- there are some pictures of that Willowcrest there if you'd like to see how it came out.

Good luck and have fun.

doetexas

I would only use Hot glue on the shingles or siding because those parts that came with the kit are VERY thin wood. I have never had a problem with using it either on THOSE parts ONLY. I also use quick grab glue on these two parts too and you won't have the warping problem if you do.

:rolleyes:

Thanks for all your help about the siding and glue issue. I think I will go ahead and use the same carpenters glue I have used on the rest of the house. It has worked very well for me so far, so why ruin a good thing? Will also put the siding on prior to the fascia. The pictures of the Willowcrest on webshots has really helped alot. I am getting really excited now about the house since I am at the point where everything I do now is cosmetic and can really see how it will finally turn out. It may take me several weeks to get this done since I am going out of town for awhile, but will post pictues when it is completed. I am so glad I found this website. The help here is fantastic. Now I know why this "little" hobby is so addictive. I think my husband will shoot me if I tell him I am already eyeing different houses to build. Any suggestions on what should be my next project?

Any suggestions on what should be my next project?

Look at as many different pictures of kits & completed houses as you can & go with the one(s) that you catch yourself building & decorating in your mind.

Did I miss where the photos of all the progress is at?? :rolleyes:

dont keep me waiting! I have very strong eyecandy needs when it comes to this particular house!

nutti :lol:

oh btw I have no opinion on the problem as I did not side my Willowcrest

but putting on that trim was definatly a highlight of the build! :lol:

Hi Nutti! I'm sorry I didn't mention the pictures in my original post. I still can't get pictures to post here on this website so have been putting them on webshots. They are not quite up to date and I promise to get them online as soon as I can. Your pictures of the willowcrest helped me more than you know. Being a first timer building little houses I had no idea what to expect and all those pieces were a bit overwhelming. I am a visual person and I think Greenleaf only puts about a tenth of the pictures I would have prefered during construction, so seeing yours online was a huge help. My next project is how to get pictures to post here since I have enjoyed seeing everyone else's work. Then.....I am off to my next little house.

Tracy...thanks so much for your offer to help post pictures on this website. Heidi had done that once for me and I so appreciate it. But......I finally figured out that the problem wasn't in the website, it was me (imagine that!) Anyway, I discovered that I had my camera set up wrong. I knew I should have read the directions when I bought this thing......a year ago! I just uploaded 2 pics of my house with narry a glitch. I am so proud of myself. By the way, the willowcrest you have on webshots has always been my very favorite and the model I am using for mine. You did such a beautiful job. The colors I am using is a pale yellow for the house and a taupe/grey trim. I love the pink you did and did think about it seriously, but I guess I am in my "yellow" period. I love all your houses.

• 8 months later...

I have more questions about completing my "Willowcrest": :flowers:

When we moved, it seems I lost - or misplaced - my window panes and my front door. I wrote to Greenleaf about replacing the windows, but they no longer have any available. So my next step was to try to find something suitable myself. I ended up using the clear plastic from page protectors for the windows but they don't look too great. Anyone have another idea? As to my front door, I might be able to cut a new one, but it won't have the windows. Again, any suggestions out there?

Have any of you put curtains up in the "Willowcrest"? I'd like to, but, because the windows

have the arches, I'm in a quandry. Another aspect of this question is: What are you all using

for curtain rods? The ready-made ones are kind of pricey. In the past, I tried using the smallest wooden dowels I could find, but couldn't figure out what to use for "brackets". (Tried small eye screws but they looked kinda ugly.) Even if my "Willowcrest" ends up sans curtains, I have a "Primrose" waiting to be put together and would like to hang curtains in that one, when it's time.

Thank you all!

Coathanger wire can be spray-painted brass and beads glued on for finials. Heavier-gauge brass beading wire can be cut & bent to make brackets, or you could fiddle around with scrap wood to make brackets. For arched windows you would hang your curtains from the rod and then gather a matching top into a semi-circle to fit above the rod.

I use clear projecter sheets to make my own custom window pains. And I actually and just using regular dollhouse curtain rods for all my curtains in the house :wave: the arches dont bother me :) I just hang it above the arch! i cant wait to see more pics of your willowcrest :hehe:

If you'd like a thicker window pane you can try using the acrylic panes available from Gallery Glass. You can find them at any craft store. They are a bit thicker though, however, I used them on my Beacon Hill with no problem.

Of course you know, as soon as you find another alternative, the old panes will show up! :wave:

I'm making cornice boxes from moulding for my curtains in the Willowcrest. I'm going to hang them at the ceiling so that the curtains will hang from the ceiling and fall to the floor. I will most likely glue the top of the curtain to the backside of the cornice box. Wendy did a tutorial on cornice boxes . . . now where is that? Anyone know?

You could also hang curtains just below the arch so that you see the arch on the interior or you can make a curved rod out of wire (like a clothes hanger as Holly suggested) and run it through a header in the top of your curtain which will sit just slightly above the arch.

Good luck!

If you'd like a thicker window pane you can try using the acrylic panes available from Gallery Glass. You can find them at any craft store. They are a bit thicker though, however, I used them on my Beacon Hill with no problem.

Hi Teresa

Now how did you cut that gallery glass? I tried with no luck. Whenever I would try to cut it to size it would chip. Could not get a clean cut.

i put gallery glass on my diamond shape window in my willowcrest and it was very hard to do. everytime i would cut everything would split. So from now on after that I started using clear projecter transparency sheets. :flowers:

i put gallery glass on my diamond shape window in my willowcrest and it was very hard to do. everytime i would cut everything would split. So from now on after that I started using clear projecter transparency sheets. :flowers:

Exactly! I used the transparency sheets also on my WO and Orchid for my stained glass windows because of this reason. I'm looking forward to Teresa's response on this.

Coathanger wire can be spray-painted brass and beads glued on for finials. Heavier-gauge brass beading wire can be cut & bent to make brackets, or you could fiddle around with scrap wood to make brackets. For arched windows you would hang your curtains from the rod and then gather a matching top into a semi-circle to fit above the rod.

Wow, I never even gave coat hangers a thought. And Ooh! the semi-circle above the window sounds like a neat idea. That would give the livingroom a very formal look.

I use clear projecter sheets to make my own custom window pains. And I actually and just using regular dollhouse curtain rods for all my curtains in the house :cocktail: the arches dont bother me :jumping: I just hang it above the arch! i cant wait to see more pics of your willowcrest :birthday:

Hanging above the windows will work for the bedrooms, and upper hallway.

Of course you know, as soon as you find another alternative, the old panes will show up! :w00t:

Ain't that the truth! Since I live in a pretty rural area - craft stores are over an hour away - I think I'll do an online search to see if Gallery Glass has a website. I had never heard of them until now, so I'm anxious to check them out.

You could also make a fancy arched cornice box (from foamcore or heavy card) and cover it with drapery fabris and glue your draperies inside.

I love working with foamcore, so that's an idea that's definitely a keeper!

Thanks so much for your wonderful ideas, Holly, Jenny, & Teresa! :flowers:

Thanks so much for your wonderful ideas, Holly, Jenny, & Teresa!

your very welcome! you know the 3 of us are VERY big fans of the willowcrest!!! :flowers: