first time builder

fred490

Welcome to the forum. Hot glue is not the glue of choice even though some of the instructions say to use it. I use regular wood glue, Aleen's tacky glue, white glue etc., but never hot glue. You will probably get a lot of this same answer because I don't think anyone here on the forum uses hot glue. I run a bead of glue the length of the piece to be joined and wipe off any excess. The tabs and slots all hold together and of course masking tape helps hold things together while it dries. :p

I used regular wood glue on my first house. It held but it runs really bad and it takes awhile to grab so I moved on to the Aleene's tacky glue! the original formula in the gold bottle is great and they also have the quick grab that is awesome just make sure you have things in the right place! THere is also a clear one that I use to hold minis in place and putting pictures on the wall. I have never had any problems with any of these.

Hi Fred...Welcome to the forum. You are gonna LOVE this place. There's so many master builders on here and they will provide you with guidance all the way. (Wish I knew about this forum before I started my "masterpiece" of a dh.)

Anywho...I wouldn't use hot glue at all. Nowhere. Nohow. LOL...take that from someone who experienced a bad situation with hot glue and my dh. LOL...

Wood glue is great. And I just stumbled across Quick Grip glue ("dollhouse maker's favorite glue") and I love it. Check it out here:

(http://www.save-on-crafts.com/quickgrip.html) I use it on "hard to glue" places and have found it to be my glue of choice when working on shingles. I was having problems with Greenleaf shingles curling up on me when using regular wood glue.

Have fun with building the Pierce...it's a GORGEOUS dh.

Rebecca's right about the wood glue running pretty fast, but I've found that if you apply it using a syringe for medicine (like the ones used to give a baby liquid medicine-found at Walmart, CVS, etc.) it comes out in smaller portions and is a lot easier to manage. Plus, it's a lot easier to handle in a small tube like that.

Bre

Fred...I agree with all the other posts. I like using the tacky glue or regular wood glue. Like Monica posted, the only time I use hot glue is for shingles & even then I just use it to tack them on & finish them with a dab of wood glue.

Steve in PA

Hi and welcome Fred.

Ditto to what everyone has said about hot glue. I used wood glue on the entire seam, not just the tab and slots. You do need to hold it in place with masking tape until its dry.

Good luck with your Pierce (similar to the Garfield I'm building) and don't forget there are no stupid questions on here and there are lots of experienced people to give you advice,

Have fun

Jo

I have a greenleaf Pierce and I have just started and my question is do you use the hot glue on the whole seams or just at the slots. Boy, does that sound stupid.
Fred, are you building a Greenleaf kit? Or a kit made from wood? I'm rather simple-minded, but I started with all-wood Dura-Craft kits and it just made sense to use carpenter's wood glue to glue them together, and when I started building Corona Concepts and Greenleaf kits, I saw no reason to change. One thing I do differently now is instead of holding the seams together with masking tape until they dry I use a heavy-duty Stanley stapler.

I also do a dry-fit of the kit parts first, holding them together with masking tape, so I can do any sanding or other trimming for fit.

I do like hot glue for building, though, because I get the built houses as they fall apart again (see my Laurel Rehab album here) to finish disassembling so I can rebuild them with wood glue.

i used the quick grab glue for my shingles. I applied glue to each one with a toothpick, to avoid spots on the wrong side, and they stayed put very well! If you have your lines drawn on the roof and the foundation row of shingles done correctly, it's a great way to shingle without the hot glue strings all over everything.

One thing I don't see mentioned here about using hot glue, is that with time, it becomes very brittle and your house will start falling apart. Wood glue will penetrate the wood and form a much better bond in general. I am using Gorilla brand wood glue now and it's working very well. Make sure you clamp or weight pieces down for the time suggested in the instructions. Gorilla has a 30 minute clamp time, which is shorter than most, and it was cheaper at Home Depot.

• 2 weeks later...