turn of the century house ??

turn of the Century is a bit misleading

maybe this century "2000!"

I do believe that is a Peirce kit....

looks alot like the one I have waiting in the wings...lol

it nice but he needs upgrade his knowledge of dollhouses.

nutti ;)

'

Yep, that is most definitely a Pierce. I went and looked at mine to make sure.

In regard to turn of the century, that style "real" house is basically what is turn of the century here in my neck of the woods.

maybe its this bit which makes him think it is turn of the century

we've got the attic; wonderful, there's a little trunk in there that says '1893, Chicago World's Fair.'

whats 'crow' Holly /

.. Or... maybe he just doesn't know jack about antiques.. I hate to say that since he's supposed to be an expert in the field, but an expert isn't going to date the house by the furniture in it - he should look at the construction and date it individually by how it's made.. and the look of that gingerbread sure looks like a modern kit to me. Also if you click on his link it takes you to an advertisement page where it says in huge letters "The Antique Guy Is Now Paying Top Dollar.. for (and a long list of items he's buying follow with the usual sterling silver, gold coins etc etc).. He could be just an average dealer who's going to say it's antique if it means he can put a bigger price tag on it. I've seen lots of guys like this that have a big "Antique's" signs that over shadow the much smaller "pawn shop" sign on their building. Last weekend I stopped at our local antique store - she showed me the 'wonderful antique dollhouse miniatures" she had.. she wanted twice the price I can get the exact same items at the miniature shop for brand new.. and they were the exact same sets - not antique, just well played with.

The photo of The Antique Guy on his ad page doesn't inspire much confidence either - it doesn't look an antique shop he's standing in but a really clean corner of a garage or maybe basement. Another thing to consider is that he's just a local guy in Rochester - here where I live we have Debbie Dougan who does 10 min on the news once a week with a "quick and easy gourmet" recipie.. usually they're quick (not always though), but not particularly easy or appetizing looking and even though the news says she's a chef(they don't say who she's a chef for), I think she works at my local supermarket.. etiher that or she has a twin also named Debbie. :)

On the other hand, if he really does know about antiques then I'm guessing that possibly his article was edited because I noticed it said it was written by two people.. so maybe one edited it and thought that "made about the turn of the centry" sounded better than 'made to resemble houses about the turn of the century'. The Antique guy might have meant to say something like 'turn of the century style doll house' but it could have gotten changed when they put it up on the site. Hard to tell what's goin on with that article.

;) David

whats 'crow' Holly

A crow is a blackbird, Sally, so when someone shoots off their mouth about something they should know better about, and have to go back & retract what they've said, we call it "eating crow" (about as appetizing). It amazes me that the English & Americans can communicate at all sometimes! (haha)

A crow is a blackbird...

I hate to pick nits... or maybe I'm just lost... but a Crow isn't a Blackbird. It's a black bird but definitely a differents species than a blackbird... or is that what they call Crows in England? :unsure:

-David

I just sent a message to let them know they need to have more informed and responsible

reporters!!!

I let them know that this particular dollhouse is quite current.

I hate it when the news thinks we are all so gullable and stupid that they can feed us anything and we are in such awe that they can be so smart!!

Can you tell I dont like them very much??? LOL

Wen

Since it says the house was originally received as a present numerous decades ago I'm betting it aint a Pierce. I'm also betting an expert in the field of antique toys would be familiar with current kits on the market, and how to actually evaluate a true antique from a fake.

Since it says the house was originally received as a present numerous decades ago I'm betting it aint a Pierce.

It's a Pierce. Trust me, I know every teeny, tiny detail of that house by heart. I could be blindfolded and identify it by touch. It hasn't even been bashed. I'm not sure when the Annabelle/Pierce first went into production by Greenleaf (Tracy, do you know???), but from that picture, I'm not seeing any deviation from the kit I bought 8 months ago. Even the silk screened windows are identical. To the best of my knowledge, they weren't silkscreening plastic windows a hundred years ago.

Wen, I'm glad you wrote and called them on it. Either the reporter is incompetent in the research part of his job, or he's just a blatant liar. (can you tell I don't like media spin either? :unsure: )

Deb

Crow isn't a Blackbird. It's a black bird
Sorry I missed a space, crows are, I suppose, like ravens/ daws.

I just sent a message to let them know they need to have more informed and responsible

reporters

Good for you, Wen.

I have seen a lot of pictures of all kinds of early 20th c dollhouses and none of them look in any way shape or form like that one. It does look like a kit house. Furthermore those thin little wooden railings and brackets could only have survived in pristine condition if the thing had been packed away for at least 95 years.

And another thing, Queen Anne Richardson style doesn't apply as an architectural description of this house. Richardson designed what we now call Richardsonian Romanesque, those castle style stone houses and townhouses, many of which can be seen particularily in New York and Chicago. I even checked online to see if maybe the article was talking about another architect named Richardson, but everything online led me back to the same architect.

I get mad about a lot of misinformation that's out in magazines, books and websites. I've been suckered a few times myself so I try to be pretty sure of what I'm talking about before I say anything. :unsure:

Since it says the house was originally received as a present numerous decades ago I'm betting it aint a Pierce. I'm also betting an expert in the field of antique toys would be familiar with current kits on the market, and how to actually evaluate a true antique from a fake.

Greenleaf has been producing dollhouses for over 50 years - If this kit was made for even 30 of those years that could qualify as "numerous decades". Remember a decade is only 10 years.

-David

I have seen a lot of pictures of all kinds of early 20th c dollhouses and none of them look in any way shape or form like that one. It does look like a kit house.

I get mad about a lot of misinformation that's out in magazines, books and websites. I've been suckered a few times myself so I try to be pretty sure of what I'm talking about before I say anything. :unsure:

i think most of these so called antique dealers jazz things like this up quite a bit, to atract those who don't know better. you are right though all you need to do is get a book from the libray about dollshouse history and the real old ones look nothing like what you can buy today, they are chunkier and you will find from looking at the pictures in these books furniture and dolls are usually out of scale, but look right for that period of house.

I think 'antique' dealers tell people it is victorian if it has been furnished true to that full size style, to dupe people into spending more. you see it on ebay a lot too, usually from someone who has NEVER in their life come across a doll house before

if a real shame, cos if you had one of these proper old houses it would be priceless and you usually see them in museums you know.

someone on here had a lovley old house, she had lots of little dolls in all the houses and had the original paper still on the walls and where it had to be restored she used paper that was true to the old style of house it was. it was amazing, i think i was looking at it in webshots or something but there were a fair few pictures.

Greenleaf has been producing dollhouses for over 50 years - If this kit was made for even 30 of those years that could qualify as "numerous decades". Remember a decade is only 10 years.

-David

Very true, and re-looking at the house, the window frames in particular, it does look like a diecut piece. The one thing that did bother me yesterday was the estimate of value, 600 on it's own, 1200 furnished sounded kinda light for a true house, that well made (it looks nice) in that condition, given that last week an antique dollhouse in poor condition walked out the Ebay door for 16 grand. As a Pierce that price seems reasonable, wonder why they felt the need to pump it up.

Yesterday when I looked I'd just got off a 12 hour shift, didn't realize they were selling the thing, thought it was just an informational story.

thats funny....they took the photo down!

Parisbabe must have really let them have it!

it definatly was a Peirce with mabe magic brick all over the outside.

it was nice but not over 30 or so years not the turn of the century like was advertised.

nutti :unsure:

reporters!!!

I let them know that this particular dollhouse is quite current.

I hate it when the news thinks we are all so gullable and stupid that they can feed us anything and we are in such awe that they can be so smart!!

Can you tell I dont like them very much??? LOL

Wen

i would love to know what you put in the email you sent to them, to make them take down the article (oh to have been a fly on the wall)

OMG! if they think something from the 70s is an antique, I am in big trouble! LOL

Actually in most places, it is. Some places cut off at 20 years, God, that means most of Dad's appliances are antique, some at 25, My Rickenbacker's 29 this year, some places list an antique as something over 100 years old (makes more sense to me). Though I could be getting antique and vintage mixed up, evidently they mean different things. Prolly just to mix people up, Oh I never said it was an antique, I said it was vintage. :unsure:

One day DH & I were cruising an "antiques & collectibles" shop in Tallahassee and I kept seeing things that were like either my Grandmother's or my mother's or mine when I began housekeeping, so I asked the proprietor which were antiques and which were collectibles. According to him, if it's something your grandmother had it's an antique, if it's something you remember seeing or using as a child, it's a collectible.