Have you seen THIS house?

heidiiiii

I was just wasting time cruising the dh section on Ebay and found this one..

I know it is old but omg! I checked the freight charge for my area..$608! $638 if the driver has to bring it into the house!

:D:D:D

Wow - at first view it's really Beautiful but when I look at the other pictures I'm sort of chop fallen. I can't imagine paying 4,000$ for a house that needs that much work. I know it's really old but... I'd have to wonder if it's gotten mold spores from what ever caused the paper to come off like that - or book mold, or major dust mites. Maybe a museum would want it but for a private home all I can think of is major allergy problems :D

-David

That is a nice old house I love the outside. I agree with David on the allergies and the inside looks like it went through a flood the way the wallpaper is stained living in a flood zone I know what that damage looks like.

OMG! :D Can't imagine having the disposable income for bidding on it -- it's definitely old and huge, but is it worth the cost??? I imagine the restoration would cost just as much cause if it's not done properly all the value is lost. And we should all remember that if you can buy a $4500 dollhouse, $600 for the transportation is probably pocket change :D

What a rip off. It is in such bad condition from the inside I would never pay that amount.

It is not even a one off and the person cannot say for sure how old it is.

If it was in mint condition I might be able to understand the price but it's not anywhere near mint.

I agree it is a very nice house but not worth that much. The people bidding on this have more money than sense and absolutely no idea about antiques. I mean antiques should be in good condition in the first place to add value not look like they've gone through a world war..

What a rip off. It is in such bad condition from the inside I would never pay that amount.

It is not even a one off and the person cannot say for sure how old it is.

If it was in mint condition I might be able to understand the price but it's not anywhere near mint.

I agree it is a very nice house but not worth that much. The people bidding on this have more money than sense and absolutely no idea about antiques. I mean antiques should be in good condition in the first place to add value not look like they've gone through a world war..

hehehehe!!!! So how do you really feel about it? :D

Only guess I have is that someone, or more than 1 someones recognize this as some ultra rare piece. From the pics (it could be the pics) it doesn't look square. There must be something about it, maybe it's by some well known builder of yore. Or maybe the bidder's the tpye woh'd wreck a Ferrari Enzo drunk drag racing. :D

Only guess I have is that someone, or more than 1 someones recognize this as some ultra rare piece. From the pics (it could be the pics) it doesn't look square. There must be something about it, maybe it's by some well known builder of yore. Or maybe the bidder's the tpye woh'd wreck a Ferrari Enzo drunk drag racing. :D

As Sunny pointed out -- more money than sense!?!

I agree totally with Sunny. No way no how would I pay, (even if I was able to) for something in this condition. You'd come out cheaper getting a well-known artisan to recreate it.

Maybe we missed the part about a treasure map being hid somewhere in the wreckage.

Architecturally the house looks quite a bit younger than 1850's, also the Moritz Gottschalk company didn't start til the 1860's.

If the house didn't cost so darn much it would be a well worth labor of love to restore it. As it is, the fact that it needs so much repair actually lessens its value as an antique.

It would be fun to build something like that though.

It would be fun to build something like that though.

Amen. I like the appearance of the facade, but the interior's a wreck! Even some of Flora Gill Jacob's oldest houses were in in MUCH better condition!

I think even if I had the money, I don' think I would be interested in this. But that is just because these types of houses don't move me. The outside is very pretty but I think the amount discouraged me :D

Oh dear I cannot believe this.

Have you seen the price on this now? Either someone seriously hates their husband, is desparate for a divorce or has had a few too many. Or could it be an 'on the rebound' purchase perhaps? :lol:

All the hard work we put into our gorgeous houses on Greenleaf have been suddenly been thrown out of perspective by this, er find. The immaculate rarities, the one of a kind custom designs lose out in value in comparison to that sorry state!

FAINT!

OMG--what I could do with $16,400.00. Some one please tell me why this house was worth so much. Sunny, I agree with you someone was on a "revenge" mission.

OMG--what I could do with $16,400.00. Some one please tell me why this house was worth so much. Sunny, I agree with you someone was on a "revenge" mission.

Peggi :lol: I could do with that money too. I tell you it was a revenge mission, could someone have hated their wife perhaps? Probably thought if they got her something like this she would really get the hint.

Mind you if I had that sort of money I'd be laughing all the way to Greenleaf, Dura craft and corona concepts

but not to some person on ebay who hasn't a clue about the house they are selling.

The mind boggles.

I'm standing by what I said earlier, the house must be THAT valuable. From their Ebay ID the buyer looks like a collector, I don't think anyone is stupid to that degree, it must be a rare piece. We don't recognize it, but someone must. And some things are worth that much even in poor condition. F'rinstance a guy in England sent in his story to Car and Driver, he'd bought a hobby farm and all the junk on the property. 1 item of junk was a Mercedes 500 K, sitting in a field in very poor, though recognizable, condition (there are only something like a half dozen known in existence). In the next issue there was an update, the guy had been offered 3,000,000 pounds (about $6000,000) AS IS.

I'm standing by what I said earlier, the house must be THAT valuable. From their Ebay ID the buyer looks like a collector, I don't think anyone is stupid to that degree, it must be a rare piece. We don't recognize it, but someone must. And some things are worth that much even in poor condition. F'rinstance a guy in England sent in his story to Car and Driver, he'd bought a hobby farm and all the junk on the property. 1 item of junk was a Mercedes 500 K, sitting in a field in very poor, though recognizable, condition (there are only something like a half dozen known in existence). In the next issue there was an update, the guy had been offered 3,000,000 pounds (about $6000,000) AS IS.

But if the guy was a collector wouldn't he know more about the house? He has no idea for sure how old it was. Was there even a maker mentioned? Oh I don't know I just cannot imagine paying that much for that house. What is the buyer going to do with it do you think, do it up and sell it for double? That would be interesting to see. It would be great to see pics of it being restored.

If that house is genuine, it's extremely rare -- Gottschalk houses are very hard to find and go for huge prices. The new owner may not restore it, as I'm not sure what that does to the value.

What makes "extremely rare" worth $16,400 is beyond my understanding, but it's the age and rarity that drove the price up.

But if the guy was a collector wouldn't he know more about the house? He has no idea for sure how old it was. Was there even a maker mentioned? Oh I don't know I just cannot imagine paying that much for that house. What is the buyer going to do with it do you think, do it up and sell it for double? That would be interesting to see. It would be great to see pics of it being restored.

Check my post again, I said the buyer, not the seller, the buyer doesn't write the description. Just cause the seller don't know what they got, don't mean the buyers don't.

If that house is genuine, it's extremely rare -- Gottschalk houses are very hard to find and go for huge prices. The new owner may not restore it, as I'm not sure what that does to the value.

What makes "extremely rare" worth $16,400 is beyond my understanding, but it's the age and rarity that drove the price up.

We also don't know the providence of this piece. I'm not a dollhouse historian, but maybe this was owned by someone famous a hundred or more years ago, and disapeared. That's pure speculation, but it could be that the seller got fleeced too. Maybe the house is worth a million.

I was curious, so I googled Gottschalk and found a few others. Check out some on this page........$20,000 for one of them.

http://www.sondrakrueger.com/doll_houses.htm

I also found this news article about an antique auction in Boston in '99. Kinda sounds like the same house, especially since the eBay seller is also from Mass.

"Skinner's December 4, 1999, toys and dolls auction at the firm's Bolton, Massachusetts, gallery decked the halls with some 500 diverse lots of toys, banks, dolls, teddy bears, games, and trains. ......Bidders persisted in raising the ante over a circa 1870 lithographed paper-on-wood Gottschalk Victorian dollhouse with blue roof that was eventually purchased for $4312.50.

Completely eclipsing its estimate was a superb array of over 20 pieces of German dollhouse furniture and accessories that originally had been displayed with the Gottschalk dollhouse, including pearwood furniture (china cabinet, dining table, and sewing stand), porcelain furniture (rococo settee, mirrored bureau, and marble-topped commode), and a tiny bisque- head doll. Attracting eager bidders from all over the gallery, the lot went at $1035."

If it was the same house, I wonder what happened to the furniture?

Deb

The auction has ended and someone is paying $16,400.00 for it.

Either they are really really smart and know something about this house or really really stupid and just had an extra $20k laying around with nothing to do with!

Great site Deb :D but Oh the prices! Makes me really appreciate some of the furniture that is readily available today. Also makes the 20$ I spent for a mini wardrobe look cheap :D :lol: I like it! :D Now I can say, but look it's an investment ;)

-David