Who lives in your dollhouse?

calicocow

Funny thing, I 'know' who lives in the house I am working on right now. It's a bashed Victoria's farmhouse that is supposed to loosely look like RGT's Ponderosa. As I shop for things for the house, I know just what the 'owner' would like and what 'fits'. He's a man who doesn't have a woman in his life and hasn't for a while. He's rugged and middle aged and likes to tinker and build his own stuff when he can. He'd rather read a good book than watch tv and basically he's a loner, though he's friendly to everyone and likes when he has the occasional visitor. He's lived inland and has all his life, but he dreams of the ocean. He doesn't have a name yet, but I am sure he will before the house is finished.

Am I crazy? (well, yeah I already know I am :) )

Does anyone else have a personality for the people who 'live' in their houses??

I think we all have a certain aspect of what the people or family will be like that lives in our houses.

The Lily will have a family of eiter 3-5 living in it.

The Ashley is a elderly couple who seem to enjoy each others company while they wait for there son and daughter in laws house to be finished being built(The Lily)

that is funny...I have been working on a blog for my dream castle I'm designing and just the other day started my story about it's inhabitants :):) Check it out it is Here

I still have to figure out who will be in my tudor...haven't gotten that far..I'm still working on that roof that is taking FOREVER!!! :blink::) But it won't be long...and once I get it I'll add that story on my blog on here :angry::) This is actually tooooo fun...never thought i'd enjoy being a "kid" again :lol:

I'm still in the building stage of my house so the people aren't moved in yet, but for my Garfield I have a very large family. I bought the bendable dolls, the blonde family and the brunette family, as well as the teenager set, and a blonde boy and a brunette boy. I mixed them together to have the family I wanted. Modern families are not all blonde or all brunette. Someday I'll try my hand at making dolls from polymere clay... but for now it was the least expensive way to go for the big family I wanted. I got all those for what would have cost to buy maybe 2 artist dolls. Since I'm not ready to be the artist myself this was my best option! :)

My main family consists of Mom (brunette), Dad (blonde), teenage daughter (blonde, maybe 12-13 yrs old), twin 5 year olds: a boy (brunette) & a girl (blonde), and a baby boy (brunette). There are a few cats (you can see in my previous pics that the cats are already living at the house!) and maybe even a dalmation dog and her pup (only cause I happened upon them... cheap, and they were sooo cute!) The mom doesn't work (she's the happy-homemaker type!), very crafty, and loves her babies... all of them (and of course the hubby!). The husband has a great job, and has been very successful over the years, but is NOT a workaholic (I'll have to make him a nice suit, so he looks as professional and rich as I think he is!).

The grandparents are retired and might live with the family. It depends on how big the house we are actually moving to will be. If I have room to display the house my father made for me when I was a young teenager, it will go along side my Garfield, so Grandma & Grandpa will have their own house. I'm also hoping to have a space in between the two houses to make a yard. I want to have a picnic table, playground stuff for the kids, grass, trees, flowers, etc.

I always wanted a big family and a large house when I was growing up. but now that I am older with more experience I see that I'm better off with an average house (w/ hubby) and just my one little guy. (Maybe one more in the future) So my Garfield is my "fantasy life".

Hopefully I'm almost done with the outside. Once that is complete I'll put the furniture in place so I can see what wall paper will go in what room and so forth. Then I might move the family in and they can start decorating the house.

We have another thread about this somewhere else on the forum. This is why I began sculpting my dolls, in MY world everyone is not white porcelain, so my mini world reflects that, in an idealized state. I have a very patient African American Edwardian-era family, the Smalls, patiently waiting me to build them the Willowcrest.

I wanted the dolls in my Pierce to reflect my own family. The name of the woman who lives there is Annabelle Pierce. (named so because for the longest time there was some confusion as to whether or not I had an Annabelle house or a Pierce house) I started with a blonde plastic doll from HBS...shaved her bald and added my OWN red hair, hand sewn to her scalp.

Annabelle has a teenage daughter, Emmaliegh. (the name I wanted to give my own daughter, but was out-voted by a husband who's a lot bigger than me) Emmaliegh started out as the "maid-doll" from the HBS catalog. She to was releived of her original hair and I sewed in fake curly light brown hair that reaches her waist.

Annabelle also has "twin" boys. They are little boy dolls with blonde hair and blue eyes that I named Fred & James (after my father and my uncle who stepped in after my father passed). They were perfect so the didn't get a make-over.

Emmaliegh and Annabelle are so far....ummmm...naked...lol... but will get dresses soon!

There is NO man doll in Annabelle's house. I've found men to be quite useless and so does Annabelle. (she DOES have a dusty trunk in her attic and the nieghbors in the Coventry Cottage started a rumor that THAT is what happened to the missing husband!!!)

Most of my house do not have people in them. Not for lack of desire, but lack of dolls. The only houses that have dolls in them at this time is the haunted house. and then thier is the ocupent of the casket, that will go in the church, I would love to fill with dolls.

Melissa

The dolls for whom I built the Coventry Cottage are Annie and Reginald, a pair of Mr & Mrs Santa Claus dolls I bought nekkid at Raggedy D's when she had a brick & morter store in Gainesville, FL. They were the first dolls I dressed, and Annie was my first wig job (turned out rather well, it took a while for me to put a mobcap on her). They were the cook & butler in the Dura-Craft Cambridge, to "do for" the Petty family, a pretentious whitebread family of DHE porcelain dolls; after Mr Petty caught Mrs Petty with the Todd McFarlane Samuel L Jackson "Shaft" doll on the bedroom balcony they left and the Wee family (my first Caucasian family) moved in. Mrs Wee is decidedly 20th Century (pre-WWI) rather than Victorian (like the Petty family), so she runs her own house, but has asked Annie to help out with Sunday dinner and if the grandparents ever come visit from their Arthur in VA.

These are the Wee womenfolk

and these are the menfolk

Most of my houses don't have people in them yet either. This means that I have a lot of homeless dolls which I am sad to confess! I can't keep anything and decorate it till we move. I do have a family that is living in my Mckinley. I have a wonderful family that a wonderful artist and friend of mine made. This set wass called "Mother's Day" and the story for the set goes like this:

It is Mother's Day today and Thomas has saved his pocket money up to buy some pretty flowers for his lovely mum. Dad has taken the camera into the garden to capture the moment as Thomas proudly presents his mum with the posy.Trust his little sister Rosie to spoil the moment by crying as usual. Never mind though mum looks delighted anyway

post-4-1146273813_thumb.jpg

post-4-1146273786_thumb.jpg

The set did not come with a Dad but he is on his way as of tomorrow. She just finished him for me:

post-4-1146273867_thumb.jpg

I want to make them a cozy brick cottage to live in. I am so in love with there big eyes!

I do have a family that is living in my Mckinley. I have a wonderful family that a wonderful artist and friend of mine made.

Tracy-

I was just reading the newsletter from The Tiny Times and her website was listed in there. I checked it out and emailed her to ask her some questions. Unfortunately my email came back as undeliverable. The dolls are very nice.

oohh the dad is just as wonderful as the rest!

wow Lucky you!

those are just my kind of dolls

lots of charactor in their faces!

and they get to live in the Mckinley...very lucky dolls!

nutti :D

Tracey, your dolls are so sweet! Did an artist from the CDHM forum create them? It looks like her work.

I have a family of dolls, two Miss Mabel (named after my grandfather's 1st cousin) and Miss Prune I received from a friend. They currently reside in the Arthur(Olde Shelby Cottage.) Along with a little girl doll I have had for years since I was a child, she is made of celluloid? and is jointed.

When I went to the MD show in 2004? Chris bought me and Amanda some wonderful dolls. Amanda got the doll dressed in gawdy Victorian red called 'Scarlett' and I got the family. Lady Georgiana and her daughter Tessa, the governess Eleanor, and the chauffuer Arnold. Arnold and Eleanor hope to be married, but are still living with Lady Georgiana and her brood. She has a baby, and currently is visiting Miss Mabel, her husband's aunt. So they are quite crowded.

I have a doll that needs to be assembled who will reside in the Queen's Row. Her name is Tasmin, from the doll class on there. Still working on her in my off moments. I'm currently looking for a husband for Tasmin, since she has such a grand house. lol!

Mr. Bannister has his doll emporium, and right now that is where he lives, 24-7. He likes tinkering with his toys and does not much care for the elderly spinsters who are trying to tie him down, he would much rather be creating dollhouses and fixing dolls for the children who clamor to buy the toys in his store.

I have a whole family of replica 'penny wooden' dolls like the kind Queen Victoria used to play with, by an artist here in Va. named Fred Laughon. They are some of my most precious collectibles, since they are so very fragile and in one inch scale. They haven't found a home yet, I would love to design and old fashioned house like the antique Bliss homes to place them in.

Pictures!! I want to see pictures of your dolls!!

Lisa, yes Julie from CDHM did these dolls for me. I fell in love with her sweet faces and Julie herself is such a helpful and wonderful lady too.

I want to see pictures of your dolls too!!!! C'mon everyone!! post them !!

Well, so far i don't have plans to have actual dolls going into my houses. For the Grosvenor it is occupied by a young childless couple with seperate bedrooms :D I will probably do a couple of my houses with actual dolls in them, but no sure which ones yet. For the Federal, the family consists of both parents and one young boy and a young girl. So that's my boring story :lol: :lol:

I got no dolls on me! :lol:

I do have the regulation Granparent pair that came in a "lot" from E-bay

they soooooo...soooooooo....well um uggggggg

but Im feeling very strange about not having any dolls....I cant find any I like enough to buy.

lol

nutti :D

Tracy-I was just reading the newsletter from The Tiny Times and her website was listed in there. I checked it out and emailed her to ask her some questions. Unfortunately my email came back as undeliverable. The dolls are very nice.

Here is the link to her website

Thanks for mentioning tiny times. I had never heard of them before.

I want to see pictures of your dolls too!!!! C'mon everyone!! post them !!

Here are my boring dolls.

post-592-1146395343_thumb.jpg

They look cute, but not very posable as they are supposed to be. The clothes on the twins, mom & dad's shirt are actually Kelly doll clothes (and the boy Keyy doll). I got a package with a few outfits at the dollar store. Mom look real cute in her shorts, and Dad in his "hawaiian" shirt.

Funny you should mention this topic. At the moment I have a rather large, hairy, long legged resident living in the tower of my Beacon Hill.

This afternoon whilst tidying up my BH she came out to greet me. I am rather fond of spiders and creepy crawlies so I didn't have the heart to kick her out. Next time she makes an appearance I'll take a pic of her.:blink:

At the moment I have a rather large, hairy, long legged resident living in the tower of my Beacon Hill.

This afternoon whilst tidying up my BH she came out to greet me. I am rather fond of spiders and creepy crawlies so I didn't have the heart to kick her out. Next time she makes an appearance I'll take a pic of her.:blink:

Haha, that reminds me of my Playmobil house - spider webs are to be found in every single room. It looks a lot like a haunted house. B) Maybe I should tidy it up too. Well, the dollhouse is located in the bedroom of my holiday cottage - so I fear I have to share my dollhouse with all kinds of animals! :-) That's country life! Hehe! In my Playmo house there are spiders, grasshoppers and some ladybugs living! (And even some Playmo people... :blink: )

Oh please let's not talk about spiders!! Rachel had a fit in the bathroom last week. I thought the whole building fell on her head or something. She was screaming and praying really loud saying "oh God help me please! please help me!!"

I ran in there to find her jumping around and crying because a spider was blocking her way. She hates spiders and I must say, he was pretty darn big. He was big as a quarter and black & hairy. We just painted the bathroom so I was woorried about squeeshing him and leaving a spot om my wall :blink: Yeap, I had to kill him or else we would not have gotten any sleep that night :blink:

To funny! I am the spider killer in my house. Hubby runs away like a little girl!

Last week our son was at teh table eating breakfast while we were getting ready for work. He started crying & calling for me. There was a small les than a dime sized spider crawling on the table cloth about a foot away from him. Hubby ran over grabbed him (the child, not spider) and ran down the hall saying "Mommy will get rid of him for you...."

What a baby... the four year old I understand, but hubby is just funny!