Resources for Art Deco?

rbytsdy

Hi folks, I just found out that my next build, the San Fran, will need to have an Art Deco interior! (It's for a new niece, and this is what her mother likes.)

Can someone give me a good description, and some places to look for good inspiration? I have a vague notion that it is from the 20's and 30's, but I would like to find out some fundamentals...

Perhaps someone has decorated a house in this style-- I would very much like to see it.

Thanks in advance!

I don't have a house decorated in this period but I researched the decorating processes for you.One of the key materials for flooring was linoleum-Mostly geometric patterns-i.e.-checkerboard.Walls were either cream or brown with either ragging or stippling applied.Window treatments were virtually non-existent.They did have pelmets though.Wall sconces were either fan or bowl shaped.Lamps were streamlined and most of the lamp bases include figurines-Hope this helps.The art deco period was from the 1920's to the early 40's.

I don't have a house decorated in this period but I researched the decorating processes for you.One of the key materials for flooring was linoleum-Mostly geometric patterns-i.e.-checkerboard.Walls were either cream or brown with either ragging or stippling applied.Window treatments were virtually non-existent.They did have pelmets though.Wall sconces were either fan or bowl shaped.Lamps were streamlined and most of the lamp bases include figurines-Hope this helps.The art deco period was from the 1920's to the early 40's.

Bare windows?! Hmmmm... Thank you, Margaret-- this helps me alot. (Though I do enjoy practicing my window dressing techniques...)

If you want some inspiration, watch the BBC Hercule Poirot series with David Suchet. Also look into the Jeeves and Wooster series by the BBC, starring Stephen Fry and Hugh Laurie (from House). The Queen Mary is another icon of the art deco. Everthing is sleek.

How does it depend?

Well richer people had higher end things, where as the middle class had to make do and use what they could for a similar effect.

Art Nouveau had a lot of classical & Medieval elements (think William Morris here) as well as emphasis on artisan work (Stickley, Greene & Greene); Art Deco was the modern, streamlined look (foyer of Rockefeller Center, the Chrysler building, etc) with lots of chrome & plastic; rent some of the old Busby Berkley musicals from the 1930s.