I bought this house from micheals

asherah

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK< now I know I'm not imagining things. This thread disappeared for a while yesterday and has moved to a different forum today, or is showing up in two forums. It's getting just plain weird!

Another hint about the house with the bay windows-whatever you want to do to the tops of the windows, do before you put the gable on! There's not much more than half an inch to work in there once it's on!

Another thing I forget to say-the stairs will either be right in the front door where the door goes, or right to the back of the floor. I'm using something besides stairs, something more gnomelike. But you might want to decide about this and cover the hole if you decide not to put stairs in at all.

Heyyyyyy! My fellow puzzle house builders, :) and everyone else!

Besides Val and Sherry I don't see anyone posting their progress on their houses....tsk, tsk! We looove pics, so please don't be shy, and shaaaarrre! Thank you.

:) I have finally finished the "siding" on my house. I used light cardboard for the siding, painted it several times. Unfortunately, or fortunately I noticed that one side of the house's siding was horrible, it seemed to have buckled or something, the siding was bumpy and crooked (sp). Well I just ripped it off, scrapped off as much as I could and resided it using the aforementioned cardboard, being careful to smooth it down and paying attention to how it layed, keeping it straight and whew it looks great! (Patting back, making sure not to get glue on aforementioned back) :p

All I have to do is figure if I am going to keep the original porch fence or make my own or use large dowels for a pillar look. I don't look forward to placing the shingles as I using the ones I have left over from my Fairfield. Fov thanks for reminding me that I have them too. :o

Now all I have to is find the half scale furniture I have or use the puzzle furniture I initially bought the same time I purchased the house. Oh yeah I went back and bought the secondhouse with the short porch. Whoopee!

You've got enough posts to start an album. We want to see your pictures!

All I managed to do last night was get the door in-and I forgot to put the antiquing stain on it first! You can see the raw wood between the slats. Oh well, I will get that touched up!

gallery_3692_2999_46879.jpg

Has this thread moved?

Ok thanks on the scrapbook paper. I thought I had read where you should spray if first with sealer but I am not going to risk getting it all soggy!

I see Sherry made the front door so it can open....1/2 scale hinges? I would have just glued it shut and made my poor dollhouse people go out through the back wall....tee hee

Your paper won't get soggy, use the can of spray acrylic sealer and it doesn't even get wet. However, I don't spray mine and have never had a problem with it as long as I use a glue that's not watery. I use Yes most of the time, although I have put it up with glue sticks!

And no, the door is not hinged. There is a tab on it and a slot in the floor to stick it in. It aligns perfectly with the door frame, or at least mine did, so just a tiny touch of glue keeps it in place. I thought about making ribbon hinges but decided that since this will be a display and not a toy, not to mess with it. It would have meant cutting another door with all those tiny windows, so I would be able to sandwich the hinges, and would have made the door too thick.

Sorry, really no progress past the glueing it together part yet. I did print off the 1/2" brick printi-to make my son happy. I think it's gonna be a paper covered, "3 Little Pigs House". Guess it's talking to him! He even wants me to printi the roof shingles and make a brick fireplace in the middle of the bottom floor, use a bandade box, was his suggestion?(one side will act as a wall, he says) and bash a chimney on top". If Micheal's had these locally, I think I'd get him his own, but I'm not gonna chase him off, I love having a built in helper (he'll be 13 in June) I can see it a little, but gotta paint some stuff before I can get any further happening here. Off work Sat-Sun-see what "WE", can accomplish, and post pics for ya"ll

then.

Sherry, I am doing the house with the 4 rooms so I don't see a place to put the door. I would love to post some pics if I ever got anything glued so it looks like something! I spent a good hour wandering around in Michaels this morning looking for scapebook paper that has a small enough print in the right color for my house.....no luck. Then I bought some felt for the carpet and some more paint. I spend more time shopping and looking than actually building. lol

I have spray glue but found it really hard to spray it and get it to the wall in time. I might try glue sticks since they don't dry out as fast.

I am thinking about using the sandpaper method for the roof. Do the shingles curl easily? I would hate to get that far, get it all glued down and find out they shingles will curl!

I see Dolores had a disastor with her siding. I think I will stick to paint this time around...I am not so brave.

You would think I am building the Vanderbuilt House here instead of an $8 kids toy puzzle! It sure is fun!

Happy Mother's Day Y'all!

Grrrr....I wanna start working on these but I MUST finish the spring fling entry first...you guys keep up the good work though....it's great having inspiration!

I can't wait to see the three pigs house, sounds wonderful! Listen to your son, he's got some great ideas.

I was in Target and saw this precious set of Snow White, Prince Charming, the witch, and all 7 Dwarves that looks like a great size for these and sooo cute! But $25....I gotta think about it, but this cottage style would make a great house for them!

This is the cd house I have been messing with. Its not done but I ran out of "stuff" for it. Now don't laugh too hard...

post-4159-1241874654_thumb.jpg

Edited by Roxxie

Thanks Sherry! I have some tiny plastic fake bulbs I could string and I liked the idea of the sleigh on the roof!

So many ideas!

I was just cutting out paper for the puzzle house and cut one wall short....no idea why...duh!

You gals are too kind!

I love the piggie house!!!!!!!!! CUTE CUTE!

Are those sandpaper shingles and bricks?

I am struggling to "wallpaper" the puzzle house........not going well :lol:

Hi ladies! I was on a walk with my daughter yesterday and this thread inspired me to pop into our local Michael's (which, yes, is walking distance from my house- dangerous, I know) and pick up these kits- you've gotta love being able to put all three kits in the bottom of a stroller. Anyway, I spent a few hours doing a dry fit of the two houses and furniture and thought I'd post the pictures in my gallery. I haven't done anything to them but pop out the pieces and put them together, so don't expect anything creative yet, but if you are wondering what they look like, or how the furniture fits in the houses, take a look!

You know, I bought two of the house with the long porch and you're right! Bashing them together might make a really neat house. I gotta think about that....

Here is my house progress for today-the gnome version of a staircase, or maybe of a fireman's pole! The rug is made of silk leaves with a fusible backing to hold it all together. I haven't decided about trying to make curtains. The gnomes are all manly men and lace might be too much for such an earthy house.

gallery_3692_2999_64883.jpg

Roxxie and JustMeSue! ;)

Rox, I love your cd house, where did you get the stove, is that halfscale? I think you did a fab job, give yourself some credit and thank you so much for showing us your handy work! :lol:

JustMeSue, I love your little house and thanks for showing us the continuing work you are doing on your lil pig house. I found some lil bears that I thought about using in my house, still up in the air, between people and bears. :yes: